Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Hull

Default Sheet Metal Bead Rolling?

I'm building a mailbox with doors at both ends. After I cut off the back
there will be a sharp edge I wish to make safe. I have zero experience in the
sheet metal area but all the "Bead Rollers" I see in catalogs look like they
don't work on a fully assembled mailbox. Any ideas/help appreciated.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had to do this for a job once, and what I did was buy two mailboxes,
and cut them in half, in the middle, then pop rivet the two halves
together.
Cost a big 30 bucks extra, and was worth every penny of it.
That way the doors at both ends are factory.

You are correct that a bead roller would not really do the job- you
might be able to roll some of it, but the rolls would stop rolling
about 2" from the bottom on each side, when the hit the floor of the
mailbox.
And you dont exactly have a bead, anyway, what you have is more like a
wired edge.
The edge treatment needs to be done before the mailbox is rolled and
spot welded together.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R

"Roger Hull" wrote in message
s.net...
I'm building a mailbox with doors at both ends. After I cut off the back
there will be a sharp edge I wish to make safe. I have zero experience in

the
sheet metal area but all the "Bead Rollers" I see in catalogs look like

they
don't work on a fully assembled mailbox. Any ideas/help appreciated.

In an already-built item such as you describe, the only solution I can think
of is to add a U-shaped strip, as narrow as you can manage, soldered or
spot-welded in place.

Horrible prospect - having to form a safe edge on an already built item.

Thin rubber strip?

--
Jeff R.