Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CXII

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

Good ones!

On 650, are the bulbous centers of the round pieces rotary joints?

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

651: Lengthy explanation, because I'm missing the words:

If you buy wool (for nitting or weaving), you get that in "rounds".
Put that round over the device and place it that it gets into the
cissors. By pushing the left hub to the right, the wool ring gets
tensioned and round. Now you can unwind the thread to whatever you want.
Maybe spools when you want to weave. My mom, who did a lot of weaving,
had something similar out of wood.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:12:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

651 is used to wind cable, wire, rope, etc. Typically found in
hardware stores.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Rob,

651 is a winder, used to wind wire or sting or rope or whatever into a
coil. After winding on the required amount, the "wire" is bundled
with paper or tied somehow, then the "fingers" are collapsed as in the
last pix, and the load is free to carry away. Used to be very common
in hardware stores, and works really neat. Often seen with a "lineal
counter" to measure the amount being wound on.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:12:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rob

"Unknown" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:12:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

651 is used to wind cable, wire, rope, etc. Typically found in
hardware stores.

Yep - we built one at work this week...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

648. Potato Masher
649/50. Farrier's tools (SWAG)
651. Rope/Wire winder
652. ?
653. Mill wheel? I find it odd that the outside should be so heavily
built, but with only 2 "spokes."

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leon

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

653. Pulley for a wide leather belt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 06:46:31 -0500, dwilkins wrote:

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:12:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

,;The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

651 is used to wind cable, wire, rope, etc. Typically found in
hardware stores.

Well, ya gotta get up pretty early in the morning to keep up with you
guys!

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Norman D. Crow

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

653. Pulley for a wide leather belt.

653 Yup!
649 Just a SWAG, but looks like a "temporary" bull nose ring. We had one
shaped more like a pair of pliers with round bulbous ends on the farm.
Handle ends were set up with small rings to put a rope through & hold it
closed. This strikes me as very similar, shove the bulls nose into the
opening & the prongs would tend to close up when the nose pressed into the
center part.
651 Already identified as a reel for wire, rope, etc.
The rest? Damfino!

--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Steve W.

653 line shaft wheel. Looks to be a 1 1/2 bore.

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

wrote in message
ups.com...

648. Potato Masher
649/50. Farrier's tools (SWAG)
651. Rope/Wire winder
652. ?
653. Mill wheel? I find it odd that the outside should be so heavily
built, but with only 2 "spokes."

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
Good ones!

On 650, are the bulbous centers of the round pieces rotary joints?

I don't think that they are, to be used as intended it isn't necessary the
pieces rotate. This one doesn't belong to me so I can't take a look right
now. Btw, the seller was asking $165 for this item.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Paul K. Dickman

I know the word you are looking for.
It is called a swift.

But I think this one is for wire.It is built to heavy.

Paul K. Dickman

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

651: Lengthy explanation, because I'm missing the words:

If you buy wool (for nitting or weaving), you get that in "rounds".
Put that round over the device and place it that it gets into the
cissors. By pushing the left hub to the right, the wool ring gets
tensioned and round. Now you can unwind the thread to whatever you want.
Maybe spools when you want to weave. My mom, who did a lot of weaving,
had something similar out of wood.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

A couple have been answered correctly so far:

648. Haven't been able to verify this one, the seller thought that it might
be a drink mixer, it's stamped "Germany" and also has the Henckel company
logo on it. The small piece sticking out of the side could be used to hang
it inside of a glass when you are done stirring, but I'm not sure why anyone
would want to do that.

649. Thanks to Leo for submitting this piece, here is his description of
it, maybe it will jog someone's memory:

"It's clear to me that it is designed to be mounted on a matching bracket,
to be adjustable horizontally. The picture may not show this clearly
enough, but the part that looks like a license plate bracket has notches on
the upper edge. I surmise that it is to hold a board or a plate of some
sort--the two curved levers would be depressed by the weight of the inserted
plate, and would close on it."

650. I'll give a hint on this item: it's used near a fire.

651. Hardware store rope winder

652. A photo showing a wider view of this close-up can be seen he

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...4/pic652ab.jpg

653. Wooden pulley from a blacksmith's shop

I don't have the answer page complete yet, I'll have it posted probably
tomorrow or Sunday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:44:08 +0200, (Nick Müller)
wrote:

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

651: Lengthy explanation, because I'm missing the words:

If you buy wool (for nitting or weaving), you get that in "rounds".
Put that round over the device and place it that it gets into the
cissors. By pushing the left hub to the right, the wool ring gets
tensioned and round. Now you can unwind the thread to whatever you want.
Maybe spools when you want to weave. My mom, who did a lot of weaving,
had something similar out of wood.

Much more elegant than my Mother's use of an available pre teen with
long arms.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Diving in late, because I never got to this newsgroup
yesterday -- or the day before. :-)

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking -- as usual:

648) It sort of looks like something for mixing foods, except that I
*think* that the projection half-way up the shank will move some
of those vanes relative to others, for whatever reason. No real
idea what it is supposed to do, however.

649) Hmm ... looks as though there is either a rack gear or at least
a ratchet on the arm sticking out to the left.

It looks as though the pivoted section gets in the way of the
other, so there is no way to swing them past perhaps maybe a 90
degree swing.

Given the orientation of the printing, it was designed to slip
down over the edge of a board or something similar and clamp on
it with the bent arms as the edge pressed on the straight arms.

650) The legs are not strong enough for it to be used to shape metal,
so I suspect that it is inteded to use heat to shape either
cloth or hair.

651) At least I have seen these before. It is for winding wire
(or rope) from a spool into a round grouping where it can be
secured by a few ties between the arms. It is then collapsed,
and the tied roll is removed and handed to the purchaser.

I've usually seen these used in combination with a counter to
measure the length of product which the customer bought.

652) First guess was hands of either a clock or a watch, however,
on a second look at the photos, I would suggest that it is part
of an old artificial horizon for an aircraft. There would be a
gyro inside, likely powered by 115V 400Hz, three phase. (Just a
3-pin connector on the ones which I have, perhaps more pins, if
there is a "Caged" sign which can flip out when the gyro is not
spun up.

653) A pulley for a big flat-belt -- likely for taking power from
an old portable steam engine to something like a portable
sawmill, or some kind of agricultural machinery.

I've seen a long 6" wide flat belt powering a sawmill at steam
engine demos.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: (649) Hmm ... looks as though there is either a rack
gear or at least a ratchet on the arm sticking out to the left.

It looks as though the pivoted section gets in the way of the
other, so there is no way to swing them past perhaps maybe a 90
degree swing.

Given the orientation of the printing, it was designed to slip
down over the edge of a board or something similar and clamp on
it with the bent arms as the edge pressed on the straight arms. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don, what you are seeing as a rack or ratchet is actually just a serrated
edge, which seems to be intended to hold it in a set position after it
slides along the slot and is tightened.

You seem to have the actionof the two levers figured out. As I see it, a
flat board or plate of some sort enters and presses on the levers, closing
them, holding the plate or board vertical and centered. Now, help me figure
out where and how this would have been used.
-----Leo (who supplied the item.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

I know the word you are looking for.
It is called a swift.

But I think this one is for wire.It is built to heavy.

Yes, you are right. The purpose and usage is the same.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO // Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
http://www.yadro.de

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Leo Lichtman :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote: (649) Hmm ... looks as though there is either a rack
gear or at least a ratchet on the arm sticking out to the left.

It looks as though the pivoted section gets in the way of the
other, so there is no way to swing them past perhaps maybe a 90
degree swing.

Given the orientation of the printing, it was designed to slip
down over the edge of a board or something similar and clamp on
it with the bent arms as the edge pressed on the straight arms. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don, what you are seeing as a rack or ratchet is actually just a serrated
edge, which seems to be intended to hold it in a set position after it
slides along the slot and is tightened.

O.K. Somewhat similar to a ratchet, at least.

You seem to have the actionof the two levers figured out. As I see it, a
flat board or plate of some sort enters and presses on the levers, closing
them, holding the plate or board vertical and centered. Now, help me figure
out where and how this would have been used.
-----Leo (who supplied the item.)

I suspected that last, even before reaching that last line. :-)

Well ... I think that the arm with the serration was attached to
a lever which dropped down on a board, possibly part of a side panel for
a wagon or something similar -- perhaps to hold it in place while some
finishing touches were applied to it.

But without seeing it in situ, or in a book which documents its
function, this just has to be a guess.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 04:45:54 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

[...]

Could it have been used on a (long) handle to snag or slip onto a
rope, cable or chain?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Smaug Ichorfang

649 is a bench dog, patent 591519
(http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat591519.pdf). It was patented by E.
Zimerman. Read url for details how it works.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
649 is a bench dog, patent 591519
(http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat591519.pdf). It was patented by E.
Zimerman. Read url for details how it works.

Thanks for solving this one! How did you find the pdf file? I did some
searching and didn't see it, also I tried a patent search on pat2pdf.org
using the date but didn't have any luck.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Leo Lichtman

"R.H." wrote: Thanks for solving this one! How did you find the pdf
file? (clip)
Yeah, I'd like to know too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Smaug Ichorfang

"R.H." wrote in news:jb85g.23070$mh.14077
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

Thanks for solving this one! How did you find the pdf file?

Smaug good at brute force methods.