Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Too_Many_Tools

Default How Do You Make a Shaping Cone?

I have been looking for a long while to buy a shaping cone....without
success.

So how does one make a shaping cone?

Or what is out there as a good substitute for one?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Bob May

Depends upon what you are shaping. Mostly they are just cones on a stick or
other means of holding the cone while it is being used.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Andrew Mawson

"Bob May" wrote in message
. ..
Depends upon what you are shaping. Mostly they are just cones on a

stick or
other means of holding the cone while it is being used.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Get a plastic traffic cone, take it to your nearest iron foundry and
get them to use it as a pattern.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
bigegg

Bob May wrote:
Depends upon what you are shaping. Mostly they are just cones on a stick or
other means of holding the cone while it is being used.

I made mine by making a conical "birds nest" of 3/4" bar about 2' high
and about 2" diameter tapering to about 3".
Then filled it with rebar and concrete :.))

I used a traffic cone as the mould

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

cos they can't fly?
;.)

--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Too_Many_Tools

I am thinking of a blacksmith cone mandrel...waist to chest
high...hundreds of pounds of iron.

Is there anything out there that can take the place of this tool? Maybe
I need to start some serious junk diving.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking of a blacksmith cone mandrel...waist to chest
high...hundreds of pounds of iron.

They're hollow ..

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

"
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking of a blacksmith cone mandrel...waist to chest
high...hundreds of pounds of iron.

They're hollow ..

GWE "

I know...but the larger ones are still hundreds of pounds of iron.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
bigegg

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I am thinking of a blacksmith cone mandrel...waist to chest
high...hundreds of pounds of iron.

Is there anything out there that can take the place of this tool? Maybe
I need to start some serious junk diving.

TMT

Thats the jobbie.
Reinforced concrete with bars of iron down the outside.

There's a plan to build one on the web somewhere, cos that's where
I got the idea for mine.

--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
http://www.workshop-projects.com - Books, Articles & Plans
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/honyaservices - Tools & Miscellanea
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
bigegg

http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/anvils/cones/cone_mandrel.htm

--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.
http://www.workshop-projects.com - Books, Articles & Plans
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/honyaservices - Tools & Miscellanea
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Steve Peterson

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
I have been looking for a long while to buy a shaping cone....without
success.

So how does one make a shaping cone?

Or what is out there as a good substitute for one?

Thanks

TMT

I went to the Le Sueur MN Pioneer Power swap meet last year and saw 4 or 5
for sale. A four foot high cone was priced at $225.00 and I would have liked
to drag it home. Although it might be a far piece for you to travel I am
sure there will be more this year. http://www.pioneerpowershow.com/
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Art Van Dalay

Shaping cone, a cone used to shape things (?)

Sounds simple, but could someone be more specific as to what
this is used for?

Richard
--
No trees were killed in the composition and sending of this message
.... however ...

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been looking for a long while to buy a shaping cone....without
success.

So how does one make a shaping cone?

Or what is out there as a good substitute for one?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Steve W.

I use mine to shape iron rings after forging. Also comes in handy if you
need to repair dings in rounded sheetmetal. It's like having a BIG
jewelers mandrel

--
Steve W.
Life is not like a box of chocolates

"Art Van Dalay" wrote in message
.. .
Shaping cone, a cone used to shape things (?)

Sounds simple, but could someone be more specific as to what
this is used for?

Richard
--
No trees were killed in the composition and sending of this message
... however ...
a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been looking for a long while to buy a shaping

cone....without
success.

So how does one make a shaping cone?

Or what is out there as a good substitute for one?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
spaco

I guess I've heard them called "cone mandrels". They were almost always
made of cast iron, as far as I can tell.
Centaur Froge has a small one that used to sell for $45. It is a
little over a foot tall with a base of about 4 " diameter and has a
hardy stem that is about 1 inch square. One of the better deals that
they EVER had!!!!
But you are probably thinking of the ones that are about 4 feet tall,
with a base about a foot or so in diameter. One guy I know was going
to try to get 1/4" thick plate cut into 4 triangles, each 4 feet long.
These triangles would be rolled to the correct shape in a fab shop, then
welded together and ground as needed with an angle grinder.
Another approach is to simply weld it up from 1/4 inch strips of
steel and grind to shape.
If you are dead set on making one, I wouldn't worry about having it
perfectly pointed at the top. You can always use a vise or anvil
mounted cone shaped mandrel that is shop-made for small things.
Some of the original floor type cone mandrels had inserts for the
tops, maybe 6 inches long or so that, I suppose, one could replace them
it that end got broken off.
Will Hightower, previous treasurer of ABANA, who lives in Alaska, was
seriously working on a solution to this problem a few years ago. I
haven't heard what his final solution was, but it might be worth it to
contact him. Here the last address I have for him:

Tell him that Sheri and I said "hello".
Pete Stanaitis
----------------------------

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have been looking for a long while to buy a shaping cone....without
success.

So how does one make a shaping cone?

Or what is out there as a good substitute for one?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article . com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

I am thinking of a blacksmith cone mandrel...waist to chest
high...hundreds of pounds of iron.

Is there anything out there that can take the place of this tool? Maybe
I need to start some serious junk diving.

TMT

You can sometimes find long pipe reducers that go from 8" pipe down to
4" pipe.

I have a cone mandrel and have no intention of selling it at this time.

You could build one by welding sections of heavy pipe into slight cones
and stack them.

Lots of welding and grinding.

You can buy smaller new ones.

--
Welding Instructor - South Seattle Comm. Coll.
- Divers Institute of Technology
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 23:15:08 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

In article . com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

I am thinking of a blacksmith cone mandrel...waist to chest
high...hundreds of pounds of iron.

Is there anything out there that can take the place of this tool? Maybe
I need to start some serious junk diving.

TMT

You can sometimes find long pipe reducers that go from 8" pipe down to
4" pipe.

I have a cone mandrel and have no intention of selling it at this time.

You could build one by welding sections of heavy pipe into slight cones
and stack them.

Lots of welding and grinding.

You can buy smaller new ones.

Several years ago, the baggage conveyor in the local airport (I was
project supervisor) was replaced. One portion of this system was a
curved belt on a traveling carriage to distribute the luggage along
the pickup area. The curved belt had conical rollers at each end that
would have been perfect, they were ~3' long, 4" at the small end and
12" at the other. I have often wished I had snagged these from the
scrap bin, but then SWMBO might have had testicular bookends if I had.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
Too_Many_Tools

Okay thanks for the comments.

I think I will be building one....what are the dimensions of the cone
mandrels that you have seen?

Thanks

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding,alt.crafts.blacksmithing
John Husvar

In article .com,
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote:

Okay thanks for the comments.

I think I will be building one....what are the dimensions of the cone
mandrels that you have seen?

Thanks

TMT

Mine is four feet tall, about an inch diameter at the top and about 15
inches at the bottom. Got it, a forge, blower, and some loose metal at a
farm sale for $100 US.

I sold the forge for $100 and figured I gave that buyer a big break, but
he was a beginning smith and needed a decent forge. So I guess the cone
mandrel was sorta free in the end.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
MAKE A LOT OF MONEY, FAST & EASY [email protected] Woodworking 0 December 29th 04 08:57 AM