Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Default Radius slot in O-1

Imagine a 1" cube of O-1 with a 1/8" slot milled 9/16 deep through the
center of a face. I need to put a 1/16" radius on the two edges on one of
the sides. The last one of these I made took hours with itsy-bitsy
(technical term) files and emery paper. I have a "Round-over" end mill with
a 1/2" radius but I've never seen one that small. Do they exist? I DID
Google and looked at catalogs for all the usual mill suppliers. I could
make it in two parts but that would be a wash, time wise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Miller

You could take an old end mill, cut away al but one of the flutes then hand
grind the 1/16 r in the remaining flute aking it a single point cutter. A
little time consuming, but faster than hand work.

--
J Miller
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
Imagine a 1" cube of O-1 with a 1/8" slot milled 9/16 deep through the
center of a face. I need to put a 1/16" radius on the two edges on one of
the sides. The last one of these I made took hours with itsy-bitsy
(technical term) files and emery paper. I have a "Round-over" end mill
with a 1/2" radius but I've never seen one that small. Do they exist? I
DID Google and looked at catalogs for all the usual mill suppliers. I
could make it in two parts but that would be a wash, time wise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
Imagine a 1" cube of O-1 with a 1/8" slot milled 9/16 deep through the
center of a face. I need to put a 1/16" radius on the two edges on one of
the sides. The last one of these I made took hours with itsy-bitsy
(technical term) files and emery paper. I have a "Round-over" end mill
with a 1/2" radius but I've never seen one that small. Do they exist? I
DID Google and looked at catalogs for all the usual mill suppliers. I
could make it in two parts but that would be a wash, time wise.

How many do you need to make? Do the rads have to be true and without any
sharp edges, or are they only cosmetic? How close to 1/16" do they have to
be?

I'd use a die grinder, then stone, then emery cloth/paper. 5 minutes max.
start to finish (per rad). This is assuming you cannot find an appropriate
radius cutter and/or need a true rad with a good surface finish.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:52:07 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Imagine a 1" cube of O-1 with a 1/8" slot milled 9/16 deep through the
center of a face. I need to put a 1/16" radius on the two edges on one of
the sides. The last one of these I made took hours with itsy-bitsy
(technical term) files and emery paper. I have a "Round-over" end mill with
a 1/2" radius but I've never seen one that small. Do they exist? I DID
Google and looked at catalogs for all the usual mill suppliers. I could
make it in two parts but that would be a wash, time wise.

let me check my Stuff..may have one

Gunner, who just finished putting the tranny (new throwout bearing and
slave (wrapped around the pilot shaft..and pilot bearing) back in his
truck..and no..the grease and hammer trick didnt work..damnit

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Tom Gardner wrote:

Imagine a 1" cube of O-1 with a 1/8" slot milled 9/16 deep through the
center of a face. I need to put a 1/16" radius on the two edges on one of
the sides. The last one of these I made took hours with itsy-bitsy
(technical term) files and emery paper. I have a "Round-over" end mill with
a 1/2" radius but I've never seen one that small. Do they exist? I DID
Google and looked at catalogs for all the usual mill suppliers. I could
make it in two parts but that would be a wash, time wise.

A 1/16 round over end mill should be a stock size. I know for a fact
that we have about six or 7 of them in our cutter bin at work.

You might be best off just phoning a (relatively) local supplier and
asking, but MSC will probably have them.

Lesse....
McMaster Carr item 3067A11 in hss, 2790A71 in cobalt steel. Pg.2249 in
cat #107 So these numbers may or may not be any good.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

It helps to be looking for something using the right name for it...Duhh.
What catalog do you have? I have 111 and 112 and I found the mill but
nowhere near your page numbers. (How do you like that, I now get a new
catalog from them every year rather than every other year as before...I'm
quite impressed with their service and even their prices lately.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Tom Gardner wrote:
Lesse....
McMaster Carr item 3067A11 in hss, 2790A71 in cobalt steel. Pg.2249 in
cat #107 So these numbers may or may not be any good.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

It helps to be looking for something using the right name for it...Duhh.
What catalog do you have? I have 111 and 112 and I found the mill but
nowhere near your page numbers. (How do you like that, I now get a new
catalog from them every year rather than every other year as before...I'm
quite impressed with their service and even their prices lately.)

Uhhhh.... That would be cat # 107, same as before.

:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Uhhhh.... That would be cat # 107, same as before.

:-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

I was just testing you to see if you would stick to your story.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Tom Gardner :
Imagine a 1" cube of O-1 with a 1/8" slot milled 9/16 deep through the
center of a face. I need to put a 1/16" radius on the two edges on one of
the sides. The last one of these I made took hours with itsy-bitsy
(technical term) files and emery paper. I have a "Round-over" end mill with
a 1/2" radius but I've never seen one that small. Do they exist? I DID
Google and looked at catalogs for all the usual mill suppliers. I could
make it in two parts but that would be a wash, time wise.

It sounds to me as though you would do better in cutting the
slot with a conventional milling cutter (for a horizontal spindle mill)
instead of an endmill, and while we're about it, (assuming that you will
be making enough of these to make it worthwhile) you can get another
milling cutter a bit wider reground by a good sharpener to produce the
radius on both sides at the same time. Perhaps even one could be ground
to produce the slot at full depth and both radii in a single pass, so
you don't have to be constantly changing cutters.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

you don't have to be constantly changing cutters.

Or build a simple fixture to run both (or all three) cutters at once. If the
run was long enough, a fixture could be made to hold multiple parts for each
operation. This of course assumes the part would be run on a proper
horizontal using an arbour with the ground spacer bushings.

I'm not sure having one cutter for both the slot and the rad would be a
great idea. If each rad and the slot are cut individually, all the cutters
are probably off-the-shelf. Specially ground cutters are expensive to buy,
expensive to sharpen, and expensive to replace in the case of a crash.

Regards,

Robin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Robin S. :

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

you don't have to be constantly changing cutters.

Or build a simple fixture to run both (or all three) cutters at once. If the
run was long enough, a fixture could be made to hold multiple parts for each
operation. This of course assumes the part would be run on a proper
horizontal using an arbour with the ground spacer bushings.

I'm not sure having one cutter for both the slot and the rad would be a
great idea. If each rad and the slot are cut individually, all the cutters
are probably off-the-shelf. Specially ground cutters are expensive to buy,
expensive to sharpen, and expensive to replace in the case of a crash.

You could even stack the two radius cutters and the slotting
cutter to do it all in one pass -- except that the conventional radius
cutters which I have seen tend to have a bit too much meat to even go
into the 1/8" slot, which is why I was suggesting a custom tool.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

How do you rout for a miter slot? mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 8 August 23rd 05 01:16 AM
Radius help Mike O. Woodworking 31 July 17th 05 03:27 AM
slot board brackets ? TomG Woodworking 1 April 21st 04 07:02 PM
Cheap table saw miter slot question Mike W. Woodworking 7 November 1st 03 09:55 PM
Putting a small slot in wood Robert Smith Woodworking 12 October 25th 03 01:54 AM