Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default OT -- Email in the Boonies

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

What country? What state (if in the US)?

How will he get electricity? (Solar? Wind? 12V from car? Electrical
hook-up available?)

Would this work? (He would need a laptop, and a power source to power
it with...) http://estore.vzwshop.com/overview/w...nternetaccess/

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Stirling

In sci.electronics.design Tim Wescott wrote:
I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

Satellite internet is available.
True bidirectional internet is moderately expensive.
Here, it's about 4 times that of ADSL, but with a 600 pound (IIRC) setup
cost.
You may need a phone line to set it up, but you can set it up then move
it.
(as long as you are still in satellite coverage.)
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the real
boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive less
than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and I'd
sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

As already mentioned, Satellite is a definite option and, now, is available
from several sources.

Another option - albeit far slower via an Analog connection - is the use of
a cell phone with either a data cable or a cell modem.

The "catch" to this is that not all cell phones have both Analog
capabilities AND either a data cable or a cell modem available.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

I always get irritated when folks don't include such details -- then I
forget them myself.

US. Oregon. Douglas County. I'd say "the mountainous part thereof",
but _all_ of Douglas County is mountains of one size or another.

He's on a 100 or so watt solar panel. Not on the electric grid -- same
$$$ issue as phone lines.

Your suggestion is exactly my first choice -- except that as of a couple
of years ago he couldn't reach a digital cell tower from his place.
That may have changed, or he may be able to put an antenna up a honking
big tower -- but that still requires that there be a tower somewhere
close, and within whatever absolute distance restrictions the cell
protocols place on phones.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

RAM³ wrote:

[...]

I had considered that if nothing else he could use his analog cell phone
and an audio coupler to a modem, and use a dial-up service. It's way
way perverted, but it would work for low data rates.

He's also bright enough that he could read the amateur radio operator
training material one night and pass his exam the next, then get onto a
packet network -- but he'll be wanting to run a business, which is
strictly against the provisions of the license.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

RAM³ wrote:

[...]

Go to http://www.ositech.com and see if they have his make/model phone
listed.

His cell service provider may also have a data cable to fit his phone.
[Verizon, for example, calls them "Mobile Office Kits".]

FWIW, I use a Nokia 3285 and one of their "King of Clubs" modems while
roaming with our RV.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Tim Wescott wrote:
RAM³ wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like he needs to rent a business office in town.
Maybe a cheap garage apartment so as to stay under the property tax radar.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joerg

Hello Tim,

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

If legal in that area or country: He could set up a web access at a
friend's cabin that has phone, then rig up a directional WLAN
connection. I have read about people doing that and cover several
kilometers depending on terrain but it may not be legal in some places.
Also, it probably requires to be unafraid of altitude when mounting an
antenna high up on a tower or tree. But for a dial-up connection WLAN is
overkill.

Then there are the lower ISM bands like 13.56MHz and so on. Again, it'll
depend on legality but in the boonies it is very unlikely that there is
too much noise on those. Some of the lower bands are a few ten kHz wide.

Somehow the analog cell phone looks like the easiest alternative, at
least for the occasional email.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
martin griffith

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:53:49 -0700, in sci.electronics.design Tim
Wescott wrote:

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
http://www.wlan.org.uk/antenna-page.html

martin
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

Have him look into 'fixed wireless broadband'. One provider is
http://www.sprintbroadband.com/
Some of these outfits are pretty active in areas where the wired
broadband folks haven't stepped in yet due to infrastructure (i.e.
stringing cable) costs.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my pants!
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ

Tim

The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

A buried fiber optic link would go in easily. Unless the digging is a
big issue. There are trenchers/diggers that do the digging, put the
line in and back fill as they go along. He would put in a loop at
various intervals and be able to sell the service to others to recoup
his investment. And not be the first or last to do this. Bringing in
some DC with the fiber is possible also. To power things.

Bob AZ

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ian Stirling wrote:
In sci.electronics.design Tim Wescott wrote:
I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

Satellite internet is available.
True bidirectional internet is moderately expensive.
Here, it's about 4 times that of ADSL, but with a 600 pound (IIRC) setup
cost.
You may need a phone line to set it up, but you can set it up then move
it.
(as long as you are still in satellite coverage.)

Wow... really expensive. (At least to me.)
http://www.starband.com/findadealer/index.asp

To Tim Wescott: can't he just move to Eugene, OR (or lease an office
there), if he wants to run a business anyway?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking Ian Stirling wrote:
In sci.electronics.design Tim Wescott wrote:
I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies --
the real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

Satellite internet is available.
True bidirectional internet is moderately expensive.
Here, it's about 4 times that of ADSL, but with a 600 pound (IIRC)
setup cost.

They sometimes have specials here in the US where they give away the
satellite equipment when you sign a contract for the service, just
like they do with satellite TV service. Call and ask about such
deals and a salesman will find you one, or come close to it?

Ain't that what salesmen are for?

Alvin in AZ

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Tim Wescott wrote:

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

I have a brother-in-law in rural Arizona who has this problem as well. He
believes there is a satellite/Blackberry solution, don't know the details.

GWE
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

In sci.electronics.design Tim Wescott wrote:

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

Satellite internet is available.
True bidirectional internet is moderately expensive.
Here, it's about 4 times that of ADSL, but with a 600 pound (IIRC) setup
cost.
You may need a phone line to set it up, but you can set it up then move
it.
(as long as you are still in satellite coverage.)

Wow... really expensive. (At least to me.)
http://www.starband.com/findadealer/index.asp

To Tim Wescott: can't he just move to Eugene, OR (or lease an office
there), if he wants to run a business anyway?

He's moving _out_ of Eugene.

For the price of half a tank of gas, he might be able to ride back to
Eugene and check email from a library...

Why's he leaving Eugene, just curious? And what kind of business is he
planning on running from the mountainside? (big cheesy grin)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

Yeah, we all want to know how to live off-grid on a mountain and still
make a living similar grin
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

He's leaving Eugene because it's so dang populous. And he builds
high-end bicycles, as well as maintaining and repairing them.

And no, he's not going to run _that_ sort of business, because doing so
generally results in getting shot by someone or another. If you're out
in the woods and you see that particular kind of plant the best thing
you can do is casually get the hell out of there, without looking like
you're getting the hell out of there.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking

Joerg wrote:
If legal in that area or country: He could set up a web access at a
friend's cabin that has phone, then rig up a directional WLAN
connection. I have read about people doing that and cover several
kilometers depending on terrain but it may not be legal in some places.
Also, it probably requires to be unafraid of altitude when mounting an
antenna high up on a tower or tree. But for a dial-up connection WLAN is
overkill.

Years ago Bob Cringely wrote about wanting to get hi-speed internet
access at his mountaintop home in California. He was just a few miles
from where the TV cable ended, and too far from a switching office for
DSL to be an option.

Being on top of the mountain, he was able to spy (via telescope) a
downhill neighbor who obviously had cable TV. He figured out where the
guy lived and offered to buy him high speed internet access if Bob
could install a special antenna that pointed up the hill to his house.
Poke around his archives for the article:
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/archive/

I hear you can get several miles of range (line-o-site) using 802.11
and surplus satellite dishes. Probably not real reliable in heavy rain
or snow (which in Douglas County will probably happen for about 6
months out of the year :-) ).

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
wmbjk

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:53:49 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

If he has line of sight to somewhere with phone service, and can make
a deal with the owners of that somewhere, then he can use a radio link
to go the "last mile". Lots of options here for example
http://www.thinroute.com/products.html We have a link that transmits
DSL about 12 miles. Only a few feet of copper involved at the bottom
end, so we get the best speed available.

Two-way satellite is real popular with off-gridders. Lots of heat from
the modems though, so check the energy use is sustainable. Generally
about 500 bucks up front and 60 a month.

Wayne
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

If he has power (of some sort) - and a southern sky - there is bi-directional
internet via small dish. Being advertised taken over by Hughes lately.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Tim Wescott wrote:
I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Chip Chester

I have some parts of an analog system like this.
3-watt analog bag phones, a couple of analog cell phone modems for laptops
(IBM, new in box!),
data cable for moto analog flip phone, and an analog-cell-phone yagi
antenna.
As it's not getting much use these days (!) I could see letting it go
for $ or interesting trades...

Of course, it depends on whether his cell company will activate an analog
phone anymore.

There have been some good results in the world of long-distance wifi, using
DBS or BUD
dishes. Could be a good "meet your neighbor" project, too.

(Reply here if interested in the cell gear, and I'll email you with contact
info...)

"Chip"

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Having run into THAT kind of plant while out hunting, I check the
magazine, make sure one is in the chamber, and take the safety off
before wandering off in an unconcened manner,

Tim Wescott wrote:
wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith

In article .com,
says...
Joerg wrote:
[...]

A USB WiFi adapter and a bit of Chinese cookware has been shown to
get up to 3-5km:

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

--
Keith
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

wrote:

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

Talk to these folks

http://www.radiolabs.com/

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

http://www.lightpointe.com/home.cfm
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:48:45 -0500, Andy Asberry said...

wrote:

[...]

Hey Andy,

For starters, thanks for recommending the service, we really do appreciate it.

A NewsGuy member had mentioned your post, and I didn't want you thinking that
you were stuck with the crappy sig line LOL

Generally speaking, we bring new features and service items online every day...
some members like them, others don't... so we never leave folks with an all or
nothing scenario when it comes to using a specific feature.

The default service signature for NewsGuy will not appear in posts if a member
already has a sig of their own in place.

In the event that you don't want any type of sig appearing in your posts, you
can basically create a blank signature file.

If you need a hand with that, feel free to send me an email ) or
phone our support staff (408-720-7620) and we'd be happy to step you through
that process. Thanks Andy!

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Asberry

On 11 Apr 2006 13:52:33 -0700, Bob wrote:

[...]

Wow! That has to be a first. A company looking up a (semi) unhappy
customer. I suppose I should change my sig. Thanks Bob.
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:49:27 -0500, Andy Asberry
wrote:
On 11 Apr 2006 13:52:33 -0700, Bob wrote:

The default service signature for NewsGuy will not appear in posts if a member
already has a sig of their own in place.

In the event that you don't want any type of sig appearing in your posts, you
can basically create a blank signature file.

If you need a hand with that, feel free to send me an email ) or
phone our support staff (408-720-7620) and we'd be happy to step you through
that process. Thanks Andy!

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com

Wow! That has to be a first. A company looking up a (semi) unhappy
customer. I suppose I should change my sig. Thanks Bob.
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.

And for those of you taking notes, the first line in your sigfile (or
the last line of your post if you want to fool their system) should
consist of these four characters: "dash dash space Enter" Then you
can add your personal message if desired, like the one below.

HTH, HAND. ;-P

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael A. Terrell

Tim Wescott wrote:

I have a cousin who's moving from town back out to the boonies -- the
real boonies, where the phone lines don't reach.

He can get cellular service, but only analog. Otherwise he's off the
grid, the network, and just about any other service (OK, he can drive
less than a mile to a paved road).

But he's been in town long enough to have seen the value of email, and
I'd sure like him to have it so we can keep in touch. Anyone have any
suggestions on internet access 'out there'? The best that I can come up
with is a cell-phone internet account, and a great big antenna aimed at
the nearest digital tower. The next best would be for him to pay the
phone company to run a line up to his place, but that would be $$$.

I received a snail mail spam today for an ISP company named "Wild
Blue", http://www.wildblue.com that offers 1.5 Mbps satellite internet
connection for $49.95 a month with free installation if installed before
May 15th, 2006. I don't know anything about the company other than
their ad, but it might be worth his time to check it out. They claim to
cover the entire US, and the card states "No dialing in, no phone line
needed"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:49:27 -0500, Andy Asberry said...

[...]

Not a problem Andy! A fellow NewsGuy member wasn't clear on the technical
details related to the signature, and had asked if I could post some additional
info into this thread. If you have any questions about the signature stuff,
don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:56:45 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman said...

wrote:
[...]

Well said Bruce!

If a NewsGuy member already had a personal signature in place, our default
service signature would not appear in their posts.

This applied to folks using our Web/Newsgroup interface or most NNTP Newsreaders
(Xnews, Outlook Express, NewsWatcher, etc.)

Turns out that Agent is the only NNTP reader out of the bunch that uses an
unconventional/non-standard format for their signature files, so like you
mentioned two dashes (--) need to be inserted into your exisiting sig file if
you're using Agent.

Best regards,

NewsGuy.Com

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb

Weighing in late, I guess, but for $.02...

I have a Verizon "Web phone". It has browser and all built in - but
it's really pretty useless as a display/keyboard.
I think Version was trying to lure in bored kids with it.

It does, however, have a built-in modem.

With a USB cable and dialer software for the phone, I can hook it up
to my laptop (desk machine too) and be on-line from almost anywhere.

This one hooks up at 19200, which isn't real fast for graphics, but
fabulous for email.

google Data Pilot for cables and software.

Richard

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Stirling

In sci.electronics.design cavelamb wrote:
Weighing in late, I guess, but for $.02...

I have a Verizon "Web phone". It has browser and all built in - but
it's really pretty useless as a display/keyboard.
I think Version was trying to lure in bored kids with it.

It does, however, have a built-in modem.

With a USB cable and dialer software for the phone, I can hook it up
to my laptop (desk machine too) and be on-line from almost anywhere.

Except from places without a phone line, which was the original
problem...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:53:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Michael A. Terrell" quickly quoth:

Tim Wescott wrote:

[...]

I'm on Starband (used to be affiliated to Dish Network) and all the
guys bailing from Starband are going to WildBlue and loving it. I may
make that hop once my Starband contract is up. (When my sat modem died
and they wanted $499 to replace it, I got a bit miffed.)

--
Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb

Ian Stirling wrote:

In sci.electronics.design cavelamb wrote:

Weighing in late, I guess, but for $.02...

I have a Verizon "Web phone". It has browser and all built in - but
it's really pretty useless as a display/keyboard.
I think Version was trying to lure in bored kids with it.

It does, however, have a built-in modem.

With a USB cable and dialer software for the phone, I can hook it up
to my laptop (desk machine too) and be on-line from almost anywhere.

Except from places without a phone line, which was the original
problem...

Uhm, it's "wireless"?

Easy Money [email protected] UK diy 0 March 7th 06 11:41 PM
<>21st Century E-Business Money Making Formula NeoTycoon Woodworking 0 January 16th 05 06:51 AM
21st Century E-Commerce Money Making Formula [email protected] UK diy 0 January 3rd 05 02:08 AM