Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default End Mill Cutter/Sharpener

Does anyone here regularly sharpen their own end mills?

If so, I was wondering what kind of equipment you use.

I saw something called an "End Mill Cutter Sharpener" in a catalog and
was wondering if something like this was plausible or too cheap to
bother with.

To see a picture and description, just go to www.shars.com,
click, "online catalog", and then go to page 90.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

To see a picture and description, just go to www.shars.com,
click, "online catalog", and then go to page 90.

No comment one way or the other on the sharpener, but
my word, that has to be the most annoying online catalog
I've ever seen!
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--You might also want to look at kits to build your own. The two
that spring to mind are the Quorn and the Tinker. I built the Quorn; quite
a project but you get quite a machine when you're done. IIRC there's also a
Quorn owner/builder group, maybe on Yahoo.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Concave, convex, con
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : carne: all is Zen..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

I have a tool and cutter grinder. I resharpen and make custom cutters.
There's quite a learning curve to be good at tool grinding. I must say with
the advent of ebay super cheap endmills, I wouldn't bother unless you just
want to do it. (My son and I wonder who's stealing all those endmills from
the day job just to ebay)

There is a unit for grinding the end of an endmill in a surface grinder,
maybe $50. If you have a surface grinder, start by using this.

Here's a link on endmill regrinding:
http://www.hanita.com/hanita_protect...info_start.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

wrote:
To see a picture and description, just go to
www.shars.com,
click, "online catalog", and then go to page 90.

No comment one way or the other on the sharpener, but
my word, that has to be the most annoying online catalog
I've ever seen!

Get their paper catalog, it's very good

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

The value of having the capability to sharpen end mills or drills is not
cost. It is most always cheaper to buy new. The real value is time when
encountering "Sods Law" Failure always occurs when you don't have a
replacement and it's on a weekend or Holiday.
Steve
wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone here regularly sharpen their own end mills?

If so, I was wondering what kind of equipment you use.

I saw something called an "End Mill Cutter Sharpener" in a catalog and
was wondering if something like this was plausible or too cheap to
bother with.

To see a picture and description, just go to www.shars.com,
click, "online catalog", and then go to page 90.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
The value of having the capability to sharpen end mills or drills is not
cost. It is most always cheaper to buy new.

Remember that there are a lot of people in this group who do not charge for
their time.

Also, we resharpen our solid carbide Ø2" x 6" cut length finishing endmills
at work. I don't do purchasing, but I'd assume it's cheaper to resharpen.

Regards,

Robin