Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? CIX

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

630: An earthquake save clock. :-)
631: Ha! This is a "registering" key. If you turn it, a number (he
"3") will be registered on a paper strip in the lock. I guess.
632: Has to do with electronics. Either for extracting or inserting ICs.
Or so. I guess.
635: for glas working. Used for breaking off.

The rest is so obvious, that I didn't care to answer.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Andrew VK3BFA

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

630. Early microphone, possibly carbon type. Spring suspension isolates
external mechanical noises.
635. Wire gauge. (I still have one in me tool kit from when I was a
telephone lineman...)

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Alexander Thesoso

630 Microphone

631 Safe Deposit Box Key ?? Box 3 in some small bank.

632 Integrated Circuit Insertion Tool. Used to push a Dual-Inline IC into
a circuit board without bending some of the pins.

633 Guess... Tool for scoring/splitting wood/cardboard at some proportional
distance between parallel edges.

634 Guess... Lightning rod tip?

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Snag

Alexander Thesoso wrote:
630 Microphone

631 Safe Deposit Box Key ?? Box 3 in some small bank.

632 Integrated Circuit Insertion Tool. Used to push a Dual-Inline
IC into a circuit board without bending some of the pins.

633 Guess... Tool for scoring/splitting wood/cardboard at some
proportional distance between parallel edges.

634 Guess... Lightning rod tip?

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

631 looks like a watchmans/security guard's key . The number leaves an
impression ...
633 looks similar to a tool for splitting leather into strips ...

--
Snag aka OSG #1
'76 FLH "Bag Lady"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Brian Lawson

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 08:28:10 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

630 Microphone
631 Jail Cell key
632 IC insertion tool
633 Sheet stock scoring tool
634 Pain in the butt fence top
635 Safety wire twister

Take care,

love your efforts

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Howard R Garner

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Before I go looking at the other answers

630 - microphone
631 - Time Clock station key, impresses the number on a portable time
clock, verifies that a watchman is making his rounds
632 - IC Dip insertion tool
633 - Belting spliter?
634 - part of a lightening rod ???
635 - no idea on this one

Howard from RCM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Jeff R wrote:
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...

635. Wire gauge. (I still have one in me tool kit from when I was a
telephone lineman...)

...for the County?

Andrew VK3BFA.

Found another overload yet?

No. Thats power liney work,, I was a telephone liney.. They didnt go
"bang" when they shorted, not enough current. And the power guys only
had 3 conductors to deal with. - dead easy. They could find faults by
looking up. Telephony was harder to fault find - no flames or
smoke.... Mine had up to 9600 pairs in a cable....all gone now,
replaced by fibre optics. .....sigh.....the "good ol days".....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mike

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

635- Germany, Boker, = Knives - maybe to check knife blank thickness ?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 05:41:05 -0700, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Jeff R wrote:
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message

635. Wire gauge. (I still have one in me tool kit from when I was a
telephone lineman...)

...for the County?
Found another overload yet?

No. Thats power liney work,, I was a telephone liney.. They didnt go
"bang" when they shorted, not enough current. And the power guys only
had 3 conductors to deal with. - dead easy. They could find faults by
looking up. Telephony was harder to fault find - no flames or
smoke.... Mine had up to 9600 pairs in a cable....all gone now,
replaced by fibre optics. .....sigh.....the "good ol days".....

Andrew, I believe you might have missed Jeff's little joke:
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/c...neman-622.html

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bill Marrs

Boker=knives--my thought too. With that much handle on it, I'm leaning
toward it being a tool to
straighten blades?

"Mike" wrote in message
. net...
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

635- Germany, Boker, = Knives - maybe to check knife blank thickness ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

630. Microphone
635. Saw Set

I can only guess:
631. Key for a lock that maybe records which key is used to open it (in
an old-fashioned, mechanical way)
632. Chip puller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

630) Ancient microphone -- carbon type, I believe. The spring
mounting is to reduce the audibility of vibrations from the
table, or when the microphone is hand-held.

631) Night Watchman's rounds recording key. It goes into a clock
assembly which he carries, and records the station numbers by
imprinting through carbon paper onto a ribbon of paper, along
with the time, so it can be proven that he was were he should be
when he should be. The visible '3' is the station number.

632) IC inserter. The pin on the end of the handle is for attaching
an anti-static ground strap. The sides compress the pins to
line them up perfectly (they are normally spread a little wide)
and they are then pressed out of that grip into the socket. The
silver area on the handle is for spreading the pins if they are
bent too far in.

This one looks like one for 28 pin ICs, not the 40 pin ones used
for early microprocessors like the 8080 or the 6800.

633) I've never seen one like this before, but it looks as though it
is for cutting something like leather to a preset width from a
known greater width. Making belts -- perhaps flat machine drive
belts.

It obviously needs sharpening before it will be good for leather
again.

634) The top of a lightning rod. The sharp points discharge static
charges more easily than rounded surfaces, so they bleed off
the charges before it reaches full strike level.

This one is more ornate (and possibly better) than the ones on
the house which I grew up in in South Texas.

635) If it had markings, I would say that it was for gauging
thickness of sheet metal. Since it does not, it is perhaps
for bending arms of relays or something similar.

Now to see what others have answered.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

630: Microphone
631: When a guard walks a beat, he may have a device that records
when he gets to each point along the beat. Each station has
one of these key-thingys that prints its number along with
some sort of time stamp in the device to prove that the
guard visited that stop (presumably at around the time he was
expected to do so).
632: either some sort of stamping device, or something for handling
IC chips
633: looks like it's for scribing a line down the "middle" of a
plank or the like.
634: fancy lightning rod?
635: sheet metal gauge?

hmmm...what did everyone else come up with?

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix narrowwares
Bowie, MD, USA |
http://whitewolfandphoenix.com
Proud member of the SCA Internet Whitewash Squad
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark Brader

634. An art piece.
--
Mark Brader | "[He] is my nation's leader ... i.e., the piece of
Toronto | clear tape at the beginning of a cassette that you
| can't record anything on...." --R.H. Draney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

635 is a saw set.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R. Pierce Butler

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in

630 Microphone

631 Safe Deposit Box Key ?? Box 3 in some small bank.

632 Integrated Circuit Insertion Tool. Used to push a Dual-Inline IC
into a circuit board without bending some of the pins.

633 Guess... Tool for scoring/splitting wood/cardboard at some
proportional distance between parallel edges.

634 Guess... Lightning rod tip?

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

631 - Detex Watchclock Station Key. The night watchman would carry a
clock and insert a key. The clock would record the key number and the
time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

axolotl wrote:
R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

635 is a saw set.

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
Newsgroups

635 don't think it is a saw set

here is a Boker saw set
http://members.mybizz.net/~con12a/sa...e/european.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Rich Grise wrote:

Andrew, I believe you might have missed Jeff's little joke:
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/c...neman-622.html

Cheers!
Rich

Nope, I didnt. The Glen Campbell song refers to power lineman. I was a
telephone lineman. Only in old movies do they have open wire telephone
lines running on poles. (and railways still use em for signalling) And
from the answers here, my 635=wire gauge is possibly wrong - it just
"looks" identical to the one I have (sans wooden handle)- it measured
wire diameter, so you could tell if it was 4lb, 10lb, 20lb etc wire...
I was issued it when the phone company went metric, so there was
confusion for a while hence the need for a gauge...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

"R.H." wrote in message
. ..
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

630. you guys know more than me but to me the outer part looks like an old
microphone but the inner part doesn't look anything like any microphones
i've seen in old photographs. well, maybe, i guess, never saw one in
person.
631. i woulda guessed a night watchman's clock key (never knew about
stamping numbers on a strip of paper thingy)
632. lol, my first thought was "jeez! that's no fair!" had NO idea what
that was.
633. first thought was something that slit leather flat belts... but have
no idea really.
634. first thought was a lightening rod... but just now had a second
thought, maybe it's (one of MANY) old fashioned sharp thingies that keep
pigeons off monuments/buildings? (that, in my opinion, is a very handsome
object.)
635. looked like the slits on a glass cutter... but i'm doubting if that's
what it is. a guess, bending the edges of sheet metal?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

All but one have been identified this week:

630. Carbon ring microphone

631. Night watchman's key

632. Integrated circuit insertion tool

633. Haven't been able to find out exactly what this is for, I'll have to
do more research on this tool.

634. Lightning rod tip

635. Wrest saw set

Links, new photos and more info have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan111lr.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The R.H. entity posted thusly:

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

632: IC inserter/puller
635: lead bender (for axial lead electronic parts)

632 is the only one I'm sure of.