DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steel cutting blade in table saw? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/15148-steel-cutting-blade-table-saw.html)

Bob Engelhardt February 25th 04 01:40 AM

Steel cutting blade in table saw?

I was cutting up some 18 ga sheet with my Tenyru-style blade in my Skil
worm drive saw. The blade was perfect for this: 18 ga is too thick for
my cheapo air shears and too slow with a sabre saw. The nuisance was
clamping/holding the stock for the cuts. I thought: "This would be so
much easier on the table saw". (Especially with the "sled".)

I checked the speed on the table saw: 4400 rpm, the blade max is 5800.
I'd have to clean out the sawdust first and the metal chips would be a
mess. But I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, or would be a
bad idea. Any opinions?

Bob

Aaron Kushner February 25th 04 04:10 AM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I checked the speed on the table saw: 4400 rpm, the blade max is 5800.
I'd have to clean out the sawdust first and the metal chips would be a
mess. But I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, or would be a
bad idea. Any opinions?

I've done mabye 25 cuts of 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/4" angle iron on my
Jet contractor table saw and didn't have any problems. I was
cross cutting, mitering, and notching the angle iron for a
welding bench and some other projects. (I used a Morse Metal
Devil blade)

It worked great. I don't have a dust collector so that wasn't an
issue, but I wouldn't run a dust collector when using the Tenryu.
As to a mess, it was very minimal. I did notice that the metal
chips embedded themselves in the paint within the cabinet.
However, using a masonry cutoff saw in my table saw to rip
several dozen firebricks for a new fireplace DID make a huge
mess. Had to clean off the gears as the ground refractory bricks
gummed up everything.

It is good that you are planning on using a sled. I wouldn't
recommend cutting thin stuff without a sled as the chance for
kickback with sharp metal would be quit scary.

With that said, I asked a similar question in this group last
summer and was told it was a bad idea...

Regards,
Aaron

Ernie Leimkuhler February 25th 04 08:44 AM

Steel cutting blade in table saw?

In article , Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I was cutting up some 18 ga sheet with my Tenyru-style blade in my Skil
worm drive saw. The blade was perfect for this: 18 ga is too thick for
my cheapo air shears and too slow with a sabre saw. The nuisance was
clamping/holding the stock for the cuts. I thought: "This would be so
much easier on the table saw". (Especially with the "sled".)

I checked the speed on the table saw: 4400 rpm, the blade max is 5800.
I'd have to clean out the sawdust first and the metal chips would be a
mess. But I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work, or would be a
bad idea. Any opinions?

Bob

Tenryu makes 3 different 7-1/4" Steel pro blades.
38 tooth for cutting up to 1/4"
48 tooth for cutting up to 1/8"
70 tooth for sheet metal.

http://www.tenryu.com/Steel%20Pro%20and%20Select.htm

Bob Engelhardt February 25th 04 12:16 PM

Steel cutting blade in table saw?

Aaron Kushner wrote: [about using one in his table saw]

Thank you. That is exactly the kind of reply that is really useful. God
bless RCM.
Bob

Bob Engelhardt February 25th 04 12:21 PM

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
Tenryu makes 3 different 7-1/4" Steel pro blades....

Actually, mine is a Matsu****a, 7 1/4", 48 tooth. They call it a "stud
cutter", for 16 (?) ga and thinner. I'm hoping to cut thicker by being
careful. (Not forcing it.)

Bob