Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Valvoline 85W-140 (SAE) Gear Oil and Clausing 8540

My manual on the 8540 specifies SAE No. 140 Hypoid Extreme Pressure
Oil. I picked up the Valvoline 85W-140 SAE gear oil and it specifies
that it is rated for hypoid gears and has EP additives. It also says it
is GL-5 rated, but it still does not say anything about its
compatibility with copper and bronzes.

Is this the same weight oil as the SAE 140 and does anyone have any
idea if it is safe to use in the Clausing mill?

Thanks, Steve