Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Mikester

Default Vacuum part holding for milling

What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Mikester

Cool idea for the fridge pump, never thought of that. I was thinking
of butchering an old portable air compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
ff

Mikester wrote:

What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

This has been discussed extensively before. Google this group for
_vacuum, fixture, pump_ etc.

fred
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Cliff

On 25 Mar 2006 05:20:39 -0800, "Mikester" wrote:

What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

Someone may wish to mention safety concerns if it comes loose ....
--
Cliff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Eric R Snow

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:18:52 -0500, Cliff wrote:

On 25 Mar 2006 05:20:39 -0800, "Mikester" wrote:

What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

Someone may wish to mention safety concerns if it comes loose ....

I had a job years ago that required removing .062" from a 20" long 1"
wide aluminum bar. Double sided tape was the method I chose. I did
think about the parts coming loose because all the material was being
removed in one pass. I made sure that when the parts came loose they
were thrown away from me. And out of a couple hundred parts 4 or 5 did
come loose.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Charlie Gary

Cliff wrote:
Snip

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

Someone may wish to mention safety concerns if it comes loose ....

I'm qualified- make sure there's something substantial between you and
the part. An unobstructed view can be more unobstructed than you care
to experience.

Later,

Charlie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
John Martin

Mikester wrote:
What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

I've no experience with vacuum chucking, probably never will.

Just a thought, though - is there some reason that you would not use
solid stops, particularly in the direction of the cutting force? Seems
that would help a lot.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Eric R Snow

On 27 Mar 2006 09:53:35 -0800, "John Martin"
wrote:

Mikester wrote:
What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

I've no experience with vacuum chucking, probably never will.

Just a thought, though - is there some reason that you would not use
solid stops, particularly in the direction of the cutting force? Seems
that would help a lot.

John Martin

Solid stops are used. Or should be. At least for locating. But
sometimes the cutting forces lift the part from the chuck. Then the
part can fly out.
ERS