Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Default I want to do some stone cutting so....

I came across these videos which are a bit out of focus but interesting
nonetheless.

I am thinking of making my own stonemasonry or field stone cutting saw.

http://www.bybeestone.com/www/vids/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

By the way, I know nothing about stone cutting but I want to cut large field
stones to cover our fireplace and other things.

The front of the stone will be rough, as found in the field but the back
will need to be sawn so that I can mortar them in place.

Anyone with tips/experience?

"knowone" wrote in message
ink.net...
I came across these videos which are a bit out of focus but interesting
nonetheless.

I am thinking of making my own stonemasonry or field stone cutting saw.

http://www.bybeestone.com/www/vids/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

knowone wrote:
By the way, I know nothing about stone cutting but I want to cut large field
stones to cover our fireplace and other things.

The front of the stone will be rough, as found in the field but the back
will need to be sawn so that I can mortar them in place.

Anyone with tips/experience?

I did something like this a while back. I took some chopped white
limestone, typical building rock in our area, and sawed off the rough
faces of the stones with a brick saw. Total thickness was about 1 1/4".
The wall to be covered was first covered with cement backerboard
(James Hardy product), and the stone was glued to the backer using
regular thinset tile adhesive. The stones were held in place with
drywall screws until the adhesive set, then the screws were removed.
The spaces in between were filled with white cement/sand mortar, and the
whole thing came out looking like a rock wall but with minimal
thickness. If anyone wants to see the results, I can post a picture
somewhere.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Yes, Gary, I would like to see the pictures.

Limestone is common in our area, too - Central Texas. However, I don't want
to do limestone rather, hard flint like rocks or anything that I pick up.

Maybe one can't saw flint. What I really want are stones of different sizes
and colors and shapes.

ko
"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
knowone wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

knowone wrote:
Yes, Gary, I would like to see the pictures.

Limestone is common in our area, too - Central Texas. However, I don't want
to do limestone rather, hard flint like rocks or anything that I pick up.

I didn't realize we were neighbors. Here's the link to the picture
http://powdercoatoven.4t.com/Misc%20...%20photos.html

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Thanks Gary. The stonework looks great.
Is that your first endeavor with cutting stone? It doesn't look so.

I sent you an email regarding the Saltillo tiles.

k.o.

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
knowone wrote:
Yes, Gary, I would like to see the pictures.

Limestone is common in our area, too - Central Texas. However, I don't
want to do limestone rather, hard flint like rocks or anything that I
pick up.

I didn't realize we were neighbors. Here's the link to the picture
http://powdercoatoven.4t.com/Misc%20...%20photos.html

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

You can buy a load of "Cobble Stone" - Cobble is the physical size.
Go to a local sand and rock dealer - find some nice cobbles or larger -
and buy a load and have it delivered.

Simple as that. Been there done that.

Now that you have the stone - do you have a slab saw ? A slab saw
is a large wheel running verticle in a water based coolant and a strong
chuck - like a kurt - with big jaws - to hold the stone that is held in
wood that the metal jaws push on.

Slab saws are not cheap - but if you are doing a lot of it - do it.

See if there is a local Geology club near buy - common in that neck of
the woods - lived in Round Rock for years.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

knowone wrote:
Yes, Gary, I would like to see the pictures.

Limestone is common in our area, too - Central Texas. However, I don't want
to do limestone rather, hard flint like rocks or anything that I pick up.

Maybe one can't saw flint. What I really want are stones of different sizes
and colors and shapes.

ko
"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...

knowone wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Now that you have the stone - do you have a slab saw ? A slab saw
is a large wheel running verticle in a water based coolant and a strong
chuck - like a kurt - with big jaws - to hold the stone that is held in
wood that the metal jaws push on.

Slab saws are not cheap - but if you are doing a lot of it - do it.

There used to be a stone cutting saw outside at one of the U of T
campuses in Austin. About thirty feet long, eight feet high, with a
traveling overhead blade.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Good info, Martin.

I may get some cobblestone. I have a lot of stone around here.

I was planning on building my saw. Unless I am overlooking something, it
doesn't seem too difficult.

k.o.

Round Rock is close

knowone wrote:
Yes, Gary, I would like to see the pictures.

Limestone is common in our area, too - Central Texas. However, I don't
want to do limestone rather, hard flint like rocks or anything that I
pick up.

Maybe one can't saw flint. What I really want are stones of different
sizes and colors and shapes.

ko
"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...

knowone wrote:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Some big ones that saw near the sites are wire cutters. A mile or so of wire
that is coated with grit is passed through water and then over the stone
that is flowing with water....

The large blocks on UT and the local banks and ..... likely needed work or replacements.
Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

axolotl wrote:
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Now that you have the stone - do you have a slab saw ? A slab saw
is a large wheel running verticle in a water based coolant and a strong
chuck - like a kurt - with big jaws - to hold the stone that is held in
wood that the metal jaws push on.

Slab saws are not cheap - but if you are doing a lot of it - do it.

There used to be a stone cutting saw outside at one of the U of T
campuses in Austin. About thirty feet long, eight feet high, with a
traveling overhead blade.

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

knowone wrote:
Thanks Gary. The stonework looks great.
Is that your first endeavor with cutting stone? It doesn't look so.

Pretty much is the first attempt. Actually I've whittled a little on
limestone with a side grinder and dry diamond blade, but the wet saw
worked much better. If you plan on cutting anything other than
limestone, you'll probably need a diamond blade of some type.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Well, you did a good job.

I will try to find a diamond blade. I aSSume that it will do for limestone,
too.

Thanks

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...