Jon Schneider

Default Centec 2A vertical movement

I have acquired a Centec 2A with vertical quill head and just finished
generally cleaning it up, lubing and adjusting out the play in the
slides.

The knee doesn't seem to go down very far such that with the Clarkson
autolock fitted a tool longer than a couple of inches will be in the
small machine vice. It isn't to do with the adjusting screws which have
been loosened (for testing). Is this the way the 2A is or is something
up with this one ?

Thanks,

Jon

Boris Beizer

"Jon Schneider" wrote in message
I have acquired a Centec 2A with vertical quill head and just finished
generally cleaning it up, lubing and adjusting out the play in the
slides.

The knee doesn't seem to go down very far such that with the Clarkson
autolock fitted a tool longer than a couple of inches will be in the
small machine vice. It isn't to do with the adjusting screws which have
been loosened (for testing). Is this the way the 2A is or is something
up with this one ?

The knee goes all the way down to the base. In the full down position (knee
screw in the back) and the quill all the way up, the distance between the
bottom of the quill and the top of the table is 21 cm. As for the
distance between the tool and top of the vice, that's about 3" with a
typical tool. Are you sure you don't have a stop in place. See the rail on
the left side of the mill.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Trevor Jones

Jon Schneider wrote:

I have acquired a Centec 2A with vertical quill head and just finished
generally cleaning it up, lubing and adjusting out the play in the
slides.

The knee doesn't seem to go down very far such that with the Clarkson
autolock fitted a tool longer than a couple of inches will be in the
small machine vice. It isn't to do with the adjusting screws which have
been loosened (for testing). Is this the way the 2A is or is something
up with this one ?

Thanks,

Jon

The Centec 2A is a nice machine. I like mine a lot. It does not offer a
lot of room between the spindle and table, though.

IAW the Centec page at www.lathes.co.uk there should be 9.5 inches of
travel up and down, with 8 inches from spindle to table with the table
full down.

Long end mills, tall vices and lengthy end mill holders will eat that
space in a hurry.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Boris Beizer

"Jon Schneider" wrote in message
In article .net,
(Boris Beizer) wrote:

No stops are undone and free and the total movement is barely a couple
of inches. Seems there must be a load of swarf in my drive or something.
When I had the gib strip out the knee didn't seem to want to come off
forwards. How is the knee removed ? By winding all the way to the top
and beyond (which migh be difficult for the same reason) with the head
removed ?

You've got it. Loosen all the gib screws -- cross slide, table, and knee.
Take the table and cross-slide off first because the entire assembly is very
heavy. Take the vertical head off. You won't have to retram it -- but it
wouldn't be a bad idea to do so. Then screw the entire shebang up to the
top and off. If you have problems getting the knee to the top and off,
apply generous doses of CRC (WD-40) or the UK equivalent and keep working
the knee up and down until it comes free.
Another possibility is a bent lift screw or something else binding
in the lift mechanism. It would be a good idea to take that off, apart,
clean it, and regrease it anyhow. You'll have to do that anyhow. From
what' youv'e told me, you've only done about 1/3 of the cleaning and
greasing it deserves. I was there two years ago when I acquired my Centec
2A -- love the machine.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Dean Buck

The Centec 2A is a nice machine. I like mine a lot. It does not offer a
lot of room between the spindle and table, though.

Hi Jon,
As Trevor stated, the 2A is "headroom challenged". Quite a few owners
have made raising blocks for theirs - usually about 6". My 2A is the
universal model which probably reduces the headroom even further. That
aside, the knee travel on my 2A with the factory stand is 6.75 inches.

I have a PDF of the 2A,2B owner's manual if you're lacking one.

Regards
Dean Buck
Jon Schneider

The thing redefined "vertically challenged" by only having a couple of
inches vertical travel never mind the 9 or so it should have.

I have now got the knee off and found the teeth filled with compressed
swarf. It's going to be sooooo nice once I have finished.

Jon

Boris Beizer

"Dean Buck" wrote in message
m...
The Centec 2A is a nice machine. I like mine a lot. It does not offer a
lot of room between the spindle and table, though.

Hi Jon,
As Trevor stated, the 2A is "headroom challenged".

It's only "headroom challenged" if you refuse to take advantage of the
horizontal spindle. There, the distance from the spindle to the far T-slot
is 8". People keep forgetting that it is very nice horizontal machine
also. Besides, one shouldn't be milling battleship anchors on a little mill
like the Centec 2A, that packs a whole lot of great features in very modest
floor space.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Charles A. Sherwood

I have acquired a Centec 2A with vertical quill head and just finished

Please tell me what a centec 2A is. I am in the market for horizontail
mill.

chuck

Boris Beizer

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
I have acquired a Centec 2A with vertical quill head and just finished

Please tell me what a centec 2A is. I am in the market for horizontail
mill.

A very nice little horizontal mill made in the U.K. It can also have a
vertical head, making it both a horizontal and a vertical mill. A favorite
of hobbyists in the UK. Very rare in the U.S. (I was lucky). In the U.S,
you're more likely to find a #4 Burke, which is stiffer than the Centec 2A
as a horizontal. I use my Burke as a horizontal (I have a vertical head for
it) and my Centec as a vertical.

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

Trevor Jones

Dean Buck wrote:

The Centec 2A is a nice machine. I like mine a lot. It does not offer a
lot of room between the spindle and table, though.

Hi Jon,
As Trevor stated, the 2A is "headroom challenged". Quite a few owners
have made raising blocks for theirs - usually about 6". My 2A is the
universal model which probably reduces the headroom even further. That
aside, the knee travel on my 2A with the factory stand is 6.75 inches.

I have a PDF of the 2A,2B owner's manual if you're lacking one.

Regards
Dean Buck

I would very much appreciate an emailed copy of that one, while you are
sending it out.

Thanks Loads!

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Wooding

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
Dean Buck wrote:
I have a PDF of the 2A,2B owner's manual if you're lacking one.

Regards
Dean Buck

I would very much appreciate an emailed copy of that one, while you are
sending it out.

Thanks Loads!

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Dean,
If that's different to the "Read Before Installing" manual I sent you, I'd
appreciate a copy too please.

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

(Change feet to foot to reply)

Jon Schneider

It is all back together now with full smoooooth vertical movement and
all slides nicely tightened up (but not too much so). Also lubed
everything in sight and brought the gearbox oil level up to where cogs
get wet (though not quite the window).

Thank you all for your help.

Jon

Charles A. Sherwood

Dean Buck wrote:
I have a PDF of the 2A,2B owner's manual if you're lacking one.

I think it would be interesting reading too.
thanks
chuck

Junior Member

Location: In the depths of rural Worcestershire England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Buck
The Centec 2A is a nice machine. I like mine a lot. It does not offer a
lot of room between the spindle and table, though.

Hi Jon,
As Trevor stated, the 2A is "headroom challenged". Quite a few owners
have made raising blocks for theirs - usually about 6". My 2A is the
universal model which probably reduces the headroom even further. That
aside, the knee travel on my 2A with the factory stand is 6.75 inches.

I have a PDF of the 2A,2B owner's manual if you're lacking one.

Regards
Dean Buck
Hi Dean
I am new to the forum and have a centec 2A which I am renovating and would be very appreciative of a copy of the owners manual if you could email to me.
Like all the guy's comment the Centec is a great milling machine for the model engineer but really usefull Centec literature is harder to find than hens teeth.
My present stumbling block is the power feed gearbox I only have a 15 tooth and 40 tooth pick off gears and reading the lathes.co.uk Centec M/c write up it appears there should be four?.
kind regards Brian
Boris Beizer

"BrianProut" wrote in message

My present stumbling block is the power feed gearbox I only have a 15
tooth and 40 tooth pick off gears and reading the lathes.co.uk Centec
M/c write up it appears there should be four?.
kind regards Brian

I can fix that for you easily. We'll do a swap. I'll send you my manual
feed end fitting and take your useless power feed gear box in exchange ...
then I'll have the stumbling block of getting the additonal gears.

Kidding aside, if anyone has a centec 2A power feed gear box from a wrecked
2A mill, I'd really like to buy it. Also, has anyone adapted a power feed
to it, and if so, how.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting
1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com

Trevor Jones

-
[...]

It IS worth keeping in mind that these machines are a product of a time
when, if you were in the market to own one, you had a better than
average idea of how to run it and what it was capable of. There was not
the support in the way there is for the hobby machinists these days.
Very little in the way of literature came with most machines, and almost
none of that had to do with actually running it.

Just ran out to the shop and checked. There should be four gears total.
On my machine, two live on the power feed, and the other two reside in
the bit of space at the edge of the powerfeed, inside the cover. Didn't
count teeth, it was cold out there. :-) If you email me, I can measure
the gears and give you a tooth count.

At least you have two speeds available, the fastest, and the slowest
(You do know that they are swapabble driver/driven , yes?

All the good writing I have seen on these is in the magazines Model
Engineer and Model Engineers Workshop, where there have been several
articles devoted to repairs and modifications to the Centec mills.

Cheers
Trevor Jones