Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Dantzler

Default Made a pullup bar for my garage

Ignoramus4546 wrote:
I welded the brackets from 3/16" pieces that I had. Each bracket
is supported by eight 1 5/8" screws, going into the garage ceiling
joist. The bar is held by 3/16" chain.

The bar itself is a military surplus junk "FIXTURE, ENGINE MAIN"
that I did not know what to do with.

Nice job.

A month ago or so, I made one for my garage. I used 1 1/4" tubing and 1
1/2" x 1/8" flat bar. Hole sawed a hole right in the middle of the flat
bar, cut through the remaining 1/8" on either edge with a hacksaw, and
TIG welded the tubing in. under $20 including the hole saw bit.

My garage has a low ceiling, but whoever rocked it followed a few rafter
bays to provide some extra storage for long things. Turns out my head fits
nicely in there to allow chinups. The bar is lagged into adjacent rafters
using two 2 1/2" x 3/8" bolts per side.

I definately prefer a bar that can't swing or twist.

Pics he
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...p/chinup01.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/ima...p/chinup02.JPG

It's on the way to the beer fridge, so I try to do a set each trip
there

Jeff Dantzler
Seattle, WA