Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Grant Erwin

Default bicycle seat post?

I have a friend who is about 6'5" tall and weighs maybe 240 pounds, a big
solid blue-collar type, very strong. He has recently been involved in a divorce
and to lower his stress he has taken to riding his bicycle a lot. He called me
last night with a problem. His bicycle seat post - raised way up due to his
height - is bending on him. He bought a replacement and it too is bending. He
asked me to consider designing and fabricating him a suitable replacement.

Of course, for a piece maybe 18" long the cost of the material isn't going to
bankrupt anyone. I was thinking chrome-moly tubing if I can find it in the
right diameter, and forging a swaged-down neck area. He is thinking solid
bar of aluminum. Minimum weight and cost with maximum strength is the design
goal. (A google for some exotic turnkey solution has quickly ruled out such due
to really high cost - I had no idea you could spend $200 plus on a bicycle seat
post!)

Anyone "been there, done that" or have any good ideas or input?

Thanks,

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington