DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   being cheap and fixing stuff???? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/14885-being-cheap-fixing-stuff.html)

Ken Davey February 17th 04 12:51 AM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

Return to the house after a long day on the 'back forty' doing what needed
to be done there.
Switched on the........ (fill in the blank).
Doesn't work. Now I am without.........(fill in the blank).
Go to town next chance and replace that switch.
Three weeks later - same frigging movie!
This time take the damn thing apart top see what failed.
Cheap switch but with a couple of hours of tinkering and backyard
engineering it is fixed and WILL NOT FAIL AGAIN!
*That* is why one fixes a two dollar switch.
Regards.
Ken.

jim rozen February 17th 04 01:09 AM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

In article , Ken Davey says...

This time take the damn thing apart top see what failed.
Cheap switch but with a couple of hours of tinkering and backyard
engineering it is fixed and WILL NOT FAIL AGAIN!
*That* is why one fixes a two dollar switch.

Better yet throw out the 39 cent switch (yep, that's about
how much they cost to make, at the most) and put in a
real switch. Most electrical stuff like this is cake
to fix because it's always built with low-bidder parts.

Change out the parts (switches and connectors, those are the
ones that cause 90% of the failures) and it's most often
good as new.

That's one reason to fix stuff, you spend less money than
buying something new, which would only exhibit the same fail
mode after a year or two. My motto is build it to last.

Phones: I have to admit that's a hobby. Nothing newer in
the house than about 1930s vintage, some of them are a lot
older than that. Kind of fun to re-build and great to see
the faces of guests when they try to figure out how to use
those things.

Cars: The real issue with cars nowadays is diagnosing what's
*really* wrong when something quits working. I don't mind
paying a mechanic to use his lift and tools to do something
like exhaust systems or brakes but I'd be nuts to pay a local
mechanic sixy bucks an hour to diagnostics. That stuff I can
do myself for free, and I think I'm just as good as they are.

Plus I'm not tempted to play parts-swapper-outer just to say
I did it.

Work: everything is broken, all the time. Or so it seems. I
think this is why they keep me working there, I can can fix
stuff a *teeny* bit faster than it breaks!

Jim

please reply to:

Jeff Wisnia February 17th 04 01:55 AM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

jim wrote:

friend who is a doctor said his dad was a mechanic and had his own
shop/business. he said that he can thank his dad for being a doctor
today as when he was a kid he worked in the shop and he was always given
the crap jobs like cleaning something or taking it apart but he never
would get to assemble something and get it working again..he did not
ever get the satisfaction of fixing anything....and hated every minute
that he was in that shop...

What was he saying?

A.If he'd been allowed to reassemble stuff he might have liked the job
and eventually would have ended up running his dad's business?

B. He just hated the whole repair job concept?

If it's "B", I sure hope he didn't become a surgeon! G

************************************************** *************************

Which brings me to a related subject I've often thought about through
the years:

There are lots of guys (and a few ladies too I guess) who are really
"good with their hands" and love fixing and building things almost more
than anything else.

How many of these guys get pushed into studying for and entering careers
which never really satisfy their inner desires, because of pressure from
family or maybe even girl friends?

I can picture several upwardly mobile middle class urban families I've
known recoiling in horror if their teen aged son son says he thinks it'd
be great to spend his life as a repair guy working on (insert a
mechanical or electrial system name here.)

They'd probably tell him, "That's no life for someone as smart as you
Johnny, and what kind of a girl is going to want to marry someone who
does that anyway? Go to college so you can get a *good job* like your
father, he's been an Assistant Manager down at the bank for the past ten
years now. Don't you want to be a success like him?"

Note that I said "urban family" because I've got a feeling things may be
quite different further away from the big city rat races, but no first
hand experience to confirm that.

I'm tending to think that the reason it's so darn hard to find a
competent and honorable repair person in urbania these days may be
related to what I just wrote. Too many of the guys who have the smarts
and natural integrity to be excellent in those jobs get scared away from
them by people who tell them it would be "beneath them" to go into that
field. I could be wrong about this, but I've got a feeling that the
skills required to diagnose a complex problem in a mechanical or
electronic system aren't much different than those a doctor needs to
figure out what's wrong with his patient, but that it's much more
socially acceptable in most circles to be a doctor than a mechanic.

Comments?

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

to blame it on."

Dan February 19th 04 03:50 AM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

"Pierre Bongo" wrote in message

snip snip

..Or maybe this is just obsessive-compulsive disorder that expresses

itself
in compulsive fixing and puttering......

3/4 x 4" HR round $1.50
5/16 x 6" HR round $0.75
2 roll pins $0.85
1/2 x 20 nut $025
4 hours mill and lathe time (pure fun)
Getting the other ROF (Retired Old Fart) to cogitate the design: Priceless!

All this to pull 12mm bearings out of Old Delta tail centers for wood lathes
so they could be repacked!

Being at peace with ones self and having fun with those you like to putter
with is worth far more than all the gold in Fort Knox. Dare I say your
priorities may change later in life! ;)

Dan
(Eccentric by Nature)

Nate Weber February 19th 04 03:53 AM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

How many of these guys get pushed into studying for and entering careers
which never really satisfy their inner desires, because of pressure from
family or maybe even girl friends?

I can picture several upwardly mobile middle class urban families I've
known recoiling in horror if their teen aged son son says he thinks it'd
be great to spend his life as a repair guy working on (insert a
mechanical or electrial system name here.)

They'd probably tell him, "That's no life for someone as smart as you
Johnny, and what kind of a girl is going to want to marry someone who
does that anyway? Go to college so you can get a *good job* like your
father, he's been an Assistant Manager down at the bank for the past ten
years now. Don't you want to be a success like him?"

Comments?

Yep, I'll give you some comments from a kid's side. Parents can
make life pretty miserable if they have higher dreams for you than what
you want. I'm at a technical college right now and get reminded weekly
that I should go back to a *real college* and finish my engineering degree.
I get the whole deal, it's beneath you, you can do so much better, etc.

It's clear that my parents would rather have a electrical engineer that they
could brag up rather than an electrician who likes what he is doing.
It's kind of funny because they love it when I can wire their house for free
and yet they do not see it as an acceptable career.

Nate

--
http://www.NateTechnologies.net:8000

Toolbert February 19th 04 04:53 AM

"Nate Weber" wrote in message
Yep, I'll give you some comments from a kid's side. Parents can
make life pretty miserable if they have higher dreams for you than what
you want. I'm at a technical college right now and get reminded weekly
that I should go back to a *real college* and finish my engineering

degree.
I get the whole deal, it's beneath you, you can do so much better, etc.

It's clear that my parents would rather have a electrical engineer that

they
could brag up rather than an electrician who likes what he is doing.
It's kind of funny because they love it when I can wire their house for

free
and yet they do not see it as an acceptable career.

Do what makes you happy...

The licensed trades are one of the better long-term career choices these
days anyway.

Dan Caster February 19th 04 06:54 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

I would recommend going to the " real college " if you are able to get
reasonable grades and not be miserable going there. You can still
become an electrician when you graduate. But you will have more
options, and later in life you may want to do something else. I
graduated from a " real college " , but still built my own house (
except for contracting the basement, septic, and drywall ).

Since you complain about the pressure from your parents, I wonder if
you live at home while going to the technical college. There is a lot
to be said for going off to school.

Dan

dann mann February 19th 04 08:44 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

Mike
If you live in California and that Trans Am hasnt been registered for a
while its gonna cost about 600 bucks to get it past the DMV.
A friend of mine is always hangin on to old cars that he will someday
fix up. In fact I have his 84 Vette sitting in my driveway while he
figures out how to get the thing registered and smogged.
I just buy decent used cars and drive them till they drop, which is
usually about 4 years. If I want something nice for a few days I just
rent.

Gunner February 19th 04 10:11 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:44:47 -0800 (PST), (dann
mann) wrote:

Mike
If you live in California and that Trans Am hasnt been registered for a
while its gonna cost about 600 bucks to get it past the DMV.
A friend of mine is always hangin on to old cars that he will someday
fix up. In fact I have his 84 Vette sitting in my driveway while he
figures out how to get the thing registered and smogged.
I just buy decent used cars and drive them till they drop, which is
usually about 4 years. If I want something nice for a few days I just
rent.

I just checked on getting my wifes 82 Volvo reregistered. Tags expired
in 2000. Its been parked on the property since then.

Back registration and penalties is $283. They make you pay for every
year its not been registered, even if it was sitting in a wrecking
yard with the engine out and the wheels off.

Then of course I have to pay the $85 to have it smogged.....

If the 300% registration increase had gone into effect...the
registration alone would have been nearly twice the value of the car.

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

now if he could do something about the bull**** back registration
fees.....

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

[email protected] February 19th 04 11:03 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:11:10 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I just checked on getting my wifes 82 Volvo reregistered. Tags expired
in 2000. Its been parked on the property since then.

Back registration and penalties is $283. They make you pay for every
year its not been registered, even if it was sitting in a wrecking
yard with the engine out and the wheels off.

Same rule in AZ, and probably most states - If you're not driving it,
then you're supposed to turn in the plates so that you don't end up
paying for back registration and penalties.... I coulda' told you
that in 2000. Last week I coulda' told you that it's a bad idea to
drop things on your toes. So just remember... I'm always here for you.
:-)

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

now if he could do something about the bull**** back registration
fees.....

I thought you were a fan of personal responsibility? Best thing Arnold
could do for you now (and I'm sure you'd agree with this if it was
someone else doing the complaining), is kick you in the ass for trying
to blame the waste of 300 bucks on "bull**** fees". Next best thing
would be to advise you to trade that old Volvo for something more
useful... like a salad shooter. :-)

Wayne

Nick Hull February 19th 04 11:19 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

Back registration and penalties is $283. They make you pay for every
year its not been registered, even if it was sitting in a wrecking
yard with the engine out and the wheels off.

I got stuck with a $64 ticket because I forgot to get new tags for
several years. Since I saved $60 for the 2.5 years I didn't have tags I
figure the ticket only cost $4. If I had gotten past 3 yrs I would have
turned a profit.

Then of course I have to pay the $85 to have it smogged.....

Never heard of that, we don't have that in TN. No vehicle inspections
either, Just send the $25 in the mail and get new tags.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Loren A. Coe February 19th 04 11:20 PM

wrote:

I just checked on getting my wifes 82 Volvo reregistered. Tags expired
in 2000. Its been parked on the property since then.

Back registration and penalties is $283. They make you pay for every
year its not been registered, even if it was sitting in a wrecking
yard with the engine out and the wheels off.

Same rule in AZ, and probably most states - If you're not driving it,
then you're supposed to turn in the plates so that you don't end up
paying for back registration and penalties.... I coulda' told you

in Tejas, until just the past couple of years, you could register late
and pay only a partial, prorated fee. for me, that made sense, one
of my vehicles doesn't see daily service.

but now you have to pay the full year, regardless. dunno about years
totally out of service, maybe i better check on that. --Loren

Gunner February 20th 04 02:07 AM

wrote:

I just checked on getting my wifes 82 Volvo reregistered. Tags expired
in 2000. Its been parked on the property since then.

Back registration and penalties is $283. They make you pay for every
year its not been registered, even if it was sitting in a wrecking
yard with the engine out and the wheels off.

Same rule in AZ, and probably most states - If you're not driving it,
then you're supposed to turn in the plates so that you don't end up
paying for back registration and penalties.... I coulda' told you
that in 2000. Last week I coulda' told you that it's a bad idea to
drop things on your toes. So just remember... I'm always here for you.
:-)

Ya should have been there to catch it. Humph!

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

now if he could do something about the bull**** back registration
fees.....

I thought you were a fan of personal responsibility? Best thing Arnold
could do for you now (and I'm sure you'd agree with this if it was
someone else doing the complaining), is kick you in the ass for trying
to blame the waste of 300 bucks on "bull**** fees". Next best thing
would be to advise you to trade that old Volvo for something more
useful... like a salad shooter. :-)

Wayne

Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered? It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

Revenue generation, pure and simple. Like a speed trap with a 1mph
over limit and uncalibrated radar/lidar guns.

And that is bull****.

As far as the Volvo goes..they are not a bad car, once you replace all
the "environmentally correct" wiring that they used in those
years..which turned to dust inside the wiring harnesses.

Id be happy to trade some machine tools for a decent car, like a
Honda. Shrug.

Sue February 20th 04 04:28 AM

mann) wrote:

[...]

Yes, thank you Arnold!! I received a check today for $113.21. I did
not expect this at all as I didn't realize I'd paid the higher fee.
Duh. They even included interest!! Such sports.
Sue - thinking about what to do with this windfall.

Nick Hull February 20th 04 12:06 PM

Gunner wrote:

Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered? It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

In TN I have more than one vehicle legally unregistered; I drive it on
my farm as a farm vehicle and (almost) never on the road. No tax, no
registration, no insurance.

[email protected] February 20th 04 03:27 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:07:22 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Ya should have been there to catch it. Humph!

My catches are limited, and I'm guessing that you smoke. So I have to
save my 'coulda'-told-you predications for when you report that it's
tough to smoke while wearing a canula.

Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered?

They don't.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr01.htm?/a

Looks like there's a box to be checked on your renewal form if the
vehicle is parked or in broke-down mode. They lern you to read the
form in private school. Your only legitimate beef as far as I can tell
is that the box should be checked by default on all old Volvo
applications. Now I know that you're going to complain about the $15
fee for not driving the car.... that's so that when your neighbor kid
is playing yuppy and swallows one of your fuzzy dice, they can figure
out who to sue by looking up the VIN.

It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

If it was only ever used on private property, then it wouldn't need an
expired plate, or no proof of insurance. Requiring the back fees
ensures that next time you don't use the car, you won't bother not
re-registering it.

Revenue generation, pure and simple. Like a speed trap with a 1mph
over limit and uncalibrated radar/lidar guns.

And that is bull****.

You should head down to the DMV and give them a little talkin' to.
Complain that somebody should have told you about the rule. Don't
forget to tell them that you're their boss, and that they couldn't get
a job in private industry. They never get enough of that stuff.
Better yet, register the www.dmvsucks.com domain, and put together a
web site with lots of porn ads.

As far as the Volvo goes..they are not a bad car, once you replace all
the "environmentally correct" wiring that they used in those
years..which turned to dust inside the wiring harnesses.

Years ago a friend asked to use my shop for a couple days work on his
wife's Volvo. You know how a pearl is formed around a grain of sand?
Apparently old Volvos are formed around windshield wiper pivot shafts.
He had the entire dashboard in a million pieces. The work took even
longer than he figured because every hour or so he had to take a break
to insult the car.

Wayne

Jeff Wisnia February 20th 04 04:01 PM

dann mann wrote:

Mike
If you live in California and that Trans Am hasnt been registered for a
while its gonna cost about 600 bucks to get it past the DMV.

snipped

If I want something nice for a few days I just
rent.

My twice divorced cousin Morty currently applies that same principle to
his relationships with women. G

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Mike S. February 20th 04 04:30 PM

dann mann wrote:

Mike
If you live in California and that Trans Am hasnt been registered for a
while its gonna cost about 600 bucks to get it past the DMV.
A friend of mine is always hangin on to old cars that he will someday
fix up. In fact I have his 84 Vette sitting in my driveway while he
figures out how to get the thing registered and smogged.
I just buy decent used cars and drive them till they drop, which is
usually about 4 years. If I want something nice for a few days I just
rent.

I'm outside Philadelphia, PA. The T/A passed inspection/emissions with
flying colors (anything bad was barely readable - I must've done
something right) and it only raised my insurance $20 a month for full
coverage. Plus since it's now over 25 years old, I only have to get it
inspected, no emissions checks necessary anymore.

Live in Cali? Yea, right. Over here might not be perfect, but I find it
better than if I were to try and wrap my brain around some of the
"decisions" I keep hearing about. I'll just stick here with our hot,
humid summers and our cold, wet winters because it's home and I'm used
to it.

- Mike

David Harmon February 20th 04 07:16 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:07:22 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking, Gunner
was alleged to have written:
Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered? It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

They don't. It's only about $5/year to file planned non-operation
registration on it. Of course you do have to do that ahead of time, or
they have no way of knowing that you did not just ignore the expired
registration while continuing to drive it. The only thing retroactive
is that you are trying to retroactively say that you are not driving it.
Whether you are going to drive it on public roads or not, you are
supposed to do the paperwork beforehand.

Gunner February 20th 04 08:42 PM

wrote:

Ya should have been there to catch it. Humph!

My catches are limited, and I'm guessing that you smoke. So I have to
save my 'coulda'-told-you predications for when you report that it's
tough to smoke while wearing a canula.

Time will tell. No family history of such problems..and they all
smoked and all lived to be a pain in the ass to their great great
grand children.

Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered?

They don't.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr01.htm?/a

Looks like there's a box to be checked on your renewal form if the
vehicle is parked or in broke-down mode. They lern you to read the
form in private school. Your only legitimate beef as far as I can tell
is that the box should be checked by default on all old Volvo
applications. Now I know that you're going to complain about the $15
fee for not driving the car.... that's so that when your neighbor kid
is playing yuppy and swallows one of your fuzzy dice, they can figure
out who to sue by looking up the VIN.

So its simply a lower amount of taxation for having your car up on
blocks. Btw..I didnt have control of that vehicle for much of that
time, nor was my addy on the registration forms.

It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

If it was only ever used on private property, then it wouldn't need an
expired plate, or no proof of insurance. Requiring the back fees
ensures that next time you don't use the car, you won't bother not
re-registering it.

Yup..so its a requirement to pay them money no matter if its used or
on.

Revenue generation, pure and simple. Like a speed trap with a 1mph
over limit and uncalibrated radar/lidar guns.

And that is bull****.

You should head down to the DMV and give them a little talkin' to.
Complain that somebody should have told you about the rule. Don't
forget to tell them that you're their boss, and that they couldn't get
a job in private industry. They never get enough of that stuff.
Better yet, register the
www.dmvsucks.com domain, and put together a
web site with lots of porn ads.

Right. And this works really well in California, the land that never
found a revenue source it didnt like.

As far as the Volvo goes..they are not a bad car, once you replace all
the "environmentally correct" wiring that they used in those
years..which turned to dust inside the wiring harnesses.

Years ago a friend asked to use my shop for a couple days work on his
wife's Volvo. You know how a pearl is formed around a grain of sand?
Apparently old Volvos are formed around windshield wiper pivot shafts.
He had the entire dashboard in a million pieces. The work took even
longer than he figured because every hour or so he had to take a break
to insult the car.

Wayne

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there..doing that.

Gunner February 20th 04 11:11 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:16:37 GMT, David Harmon
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:07:22 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking, Gunner
was alleged to have written:
Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered? It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

They don't. It's only about $5/year to file planned non-operation
registration on it. Of course you do have to do that ahead of time, or
they have no way of knowing that you did not just ignore the expired
registration while continuing to drive it. The only thing retroactive
is that you are trying to retroactively say that you are not driving it.
Whether you are going to drive it on public roads or not, you are
supposed to do the paperwork beforehand.

So then they are going on the assumption that you are guilty of
breaking the law by driving on the highway without current
registration, and that the police are incompetent. Correct?

George E. Cawthon February 21st 04 05:54 AM

David Harmon wrote:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:07:22 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking, Gunner
was alleged to have written:
Registration fees are supposed to be used for road usage. If the thing
is parked off public property..why the hell do they mandate it be
registered? It doesnt need to be registered to use on private
property, so why do they require retroactive taxation?

They don't. It's only about $5/year to file planned non-operation
registration on it. Of course you do have to do that ahead of time, or
they have no way of knowing that you did not just ignore the expired
registration while continuing to drive it. The only thing retroactive
is that you are trying to retroactively say that you are not driving it.
Whether you are going to drive it on public roads or not, you are
supposed to do the paperwork beforehand.

That's probably the most specious argument I've ever heard. Not only
do you not need a drivers license for driving on your own property,
but you don't need to register a vehicle that isn't used. The proof
of that is that if you simply stop registering a car, nothing happens;
the past fees and penalties only happen when you reregister it. If
they applied that silly argument to a person who has a concealed carry
license and a person let it lapse for several years and then
reapplied, they would fine him and require license fees for the years
he missed. It could be applied to any annual feee requirement, but in
most cases it would be immediately recognized as insane. For example,
one can argue that a person had a knife and could have used it so he
is quilty of assault with a knife. Or apply it to anything where a
person has an opportunity, exercised or not. "Well, you could have
made $100,000 last year, so pay up $20,000 in taxes.

Just plain stupid.

michael February 21st 04 07:16 AM

Sue wrote:

If the 300% registration increase had gone into effect...the
registration alone would have been nearly twice the value of the car.

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

Yes, thank you Arnold!! I received a check today for $113.21. I did
not expect this at all as I didn't realize I'd paid the higher fee.
Duh. They even included interest!! Such sports.
Sue - thinking about what to do with this windfall.

You will need my mailing address, I'm certain. I will send it by email. Oh,
unless you wish to drop it by....

michael

Bob Engelhardt February 21st 04 02:29 PM

"George E. Cawthon" wrote:
That's probably the most specious argument I've ever heard. ...
Just plain stupid.

OH, NO!! You mean the legislature and/or DMV did something
irrational??!!? God help us. What's this country coming to? 8-0

Bob

Sue February 21st 04 03:36 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:16:38 -0800, michael
wrote:

Sue wrote:

If the 300% registration increase had gone into effect...the
registration alone would have been nearly twice the value of the car.

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

Yes, thank you Arnold!! I received a check today for $113.21. I did
not expect this at all as I didn't realize I'd paid the higher fee.
Duh. They even included interest!! Such sports.
Sue - thinking about what to do with this windfall.

You will need my mailing address, I'm certain. I will send it by email. Oh,
unless you wish to drop it by....

LOL. Sigh. I think I'll just pay extra on a credit card. Not much
fun in that.
Sue

michael

David Harmon February 21st 04 10:24 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:11:57 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking, Gunner
was alleged to have written:
So then they are going on the assumption that you are guilty of
breaking the law by driving on the highway without current
registration, and that the police are incompetent. Correct?

Yeah, basically. But note that they don't care **** about whether you
are breaking the law or not. They don't want to charge you with a
crime; they just want the money. Which is what "registration" is about
anyway.

The main point is to defend yourself from them up front, which is real
easy in this particular case, so you won't end up whining and crying
about a few hundred dollars afterwards. Do you complain about having to
learn to shoot because criminals are so unfair?

michael February 21st 04 11:09 PM

wrote:

Sue wrote:

If the 300% registration increase had gone into effect...the
registration alone would have been nearly twice the value of the car.

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

Yes, thank you Arnold!! I received a check today for $113.21. I did
not expect this at all as I didn't realize I'd paid the higher fee.
Duh. They even included interest!! Such sports.
Sue - thinking about what to do with this windfall.

You will need my mailing address, I'm certain. I will send it by email. Oh,
unless you wish to drop it by....

LOL. Sigh. I think I'll just pay extra on a credit card. Not much
fun in that.
Sue

michael

Geez, I am now regarded as less fun than a credit card! Sad, I think in some
ways that makes sense. Only *some* though.

mj

Sue February 21st 04 11:57 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

wrote:

Sue wrote:

If the 300% registration increase had gone into effect...the
registration alone would have been nearly twice the value of the car.

Thank YOU Arnold!!!

Yes, thank you Arnold!! I received a check today for $113.21. I did
not expect this at all as I didn't realize I'd paid the higher fee.
Duh. They even included interest!! Such sports.
Sue - thinking about what to do with this windfall.

You will need my mailing address, I'm certain. I will send it by email. Oh,
unless you wish to drop it by....

LOL. Sigh. I think I'll just pay extra on a credit card. Not much
fun in that.
Sue

michael

Geez, I am now regarded as less fun than a credit card! Sad, I think in some
ways that makes sense. Only *some* though.

LOL. Only would have been more fun for you if I had my 29 year old
easy-on-the-eyes daughter drop it by. G
Sue

mj

michael February 22nd 04 05:48 AM

wrote:

Sue wrote:

[...]

Like I said, you'll need my address. Don't need to bother with the check, shall I
wait up?

michael

Sue February 22nd 04 06:55 AM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

wrote:

Sue wrote:

[...]

Chuckle. Michael, you are too funny. You can go to bed now.
Sue - still chuckling

michael

Alan Raisanen February 22nd 04 02:45 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

The EE's can now be outsourced to Bangalore for a lot less money. You can't
outsource the electrician putting the panel in your new house!

michael February 22nd 04 07:56 PM

wrote:

Sue wrote:

[...]

Glad I could help you laugh. I have these flashes of comedic brilliance at times.
Sorta like where Robin Williams firing off like a "joke machine gun". Except I'm more
akin to a scatter gun, point & pray.

Laughter is good medicine, preventive and curative.

mj

Gary Coffman February 22nd 04 08:35 PM

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:45:24 GMT, "Alan Raisanen" wrote:
The EE's can now be outsourced to Bangalore for a lot less money. You can't
outsource the electrician putting the panel in your new house!

Right. You have to depend on the illegals to do that.

Gary

Sue February 22nd 04 08:48 PM

being cheap and fixing stuff????

wrote:

[...]