Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
eagor

Default Difference of Using f19*T0.6 tubes instead of f19*T0.8?

Would like to ask for your help,

Can you tell me the strength difference between these two tubes with
regards to using it on chairs please. How much of a difference is there
when using these two tubes in children chair designs?

Thank you in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I'll presume that you are talking about a 19mm diameter tube (3/4") by
..8mm (.031") versus .6mm (.023") The thinner wall will have 3/4 of the
strength of the thicker one. Is this (or either one) strong enough for
your application? Both are fairly thin, will need some clean design
work to keep them from getting dented other concentrated stresses and
going into sudden collapse.

eagor wrote:
Would like to ask for your help,

Can you tell me the strength difference between these two tubes with
regards to using it on chairs please. How much of a difference is there
when using these two tubes in children chair designs?

Thank you in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

As I said, theoretical strength is 3/4 of what you spec'ed. But .6mm is
getting so thin that it dents easily, a dent will cause it to collapse.
And anything to do with babys needs to be perfect if you don't want to
get sued (at least in the US)

Get a sample of it, see how much effort it takes to pound a dent in it
with a ball head hammer or whack it over a solid object. Then do a
simple bend test (two supports and a weight)with the dent on the top and
the weight at the dent. I suspect you will not like the results.

eagor wrote:

Thanks for the post. It was suggested by the producer in terms of baby
chair making. We requested .8mm but they offered to make it with .6mm.
.8mm is good for my application, not sure about the .6mm. What do you
think?

Again thanks for post.