Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Max Krippler

Default Is there an "OWWM" for METALWORKING?

WWW.OWWM.COM is a fantastic resource... if you're looking for
woodworking tools. Is there an equivalent (or even close?) for older
metalworking machines?

Thanks in advance...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Bergstrom

Max Krippler wrote:
WWW.OWWM.COM is a fantastic resource... if you're looking for
woodworking tools. Is there an equivalent (or even close?) for older
metalworking machines?

http://lathes.co.uk/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete Bergstrom wrote:
http://lathes.co.uk/

Is it just me or has the manual section been down for some time on
there? OWWM helped me out greatly by having the manual for my old
craftsman drillpress.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"Max Krippler" wrote in message
WWW.OWWM.COM is a fantastic resource... if you're looking for
woodworking tools. Is there an equivalent (or even close?) for older
metalworking machines?

Thanks in advance...

I've never seen a comprehensive site for MW, although there are a lot of
brochures, manuals, pictures, and restoration stories posted in various
areas. Some on personal web sites, a few hobbyist/pro forum-type web sites,
and a bunch of manufacturer-specific Yahoo groups. The Practical Machinist
web site has a section for old manuals and brochures as does the Metal
Illness site. Metal Web News has a section for manuals/brochures and you'll
find a couple of my submissions there plus a few from others.

The UK lathes site is better resource for a quick overview of manuacturers
past offerings than OWWM, but manuals and/or brochures are provided on a fee
basis.

Setting up something like OWWM would be a lot of work and it would probably
be tough to find someone willing to host and maintain a similar site for MW
tools.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

I could host and maintain the site, but I'm not a web designer.
And we'd have to get Gunner to photograph everything in his collection.

Mike Henry wrote:

Setting up something like OWWM would be a lot of work and it would probably
be tough to find someone willing to host and maintain a similar site for MW
tools.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Nor am I, other than a little fiddling with my own site. Perhaps someone
with an artistic mind and the skill to take advantage of it will step
forward.

It would probably take many hundreds of MB to archive everything that might
be contributed and the bandwidth to make it available at reasonable speeds.
Perhaps if some one out there has managed a similar type of site, they could
comment on what sort of resources might be needed and what level of effort
might be required to design it, set it up, and manage it.