DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Global Warming hits the Eastcoast ! (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/144469-global-warming-hits-eastcoast.html)

Ken Smith February 16th 06 03:06 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:
[...]
Tryin with some easy values:

Y = cubert(100 * 3600 * 30 / 3) = cubert(3.6E3) =150+a little

"You mean this is highway 80 and the speed limit is 65! Well in that
case, I'm gald you didn't catch me on the 205 last night."

Your calculations failed to include the increased failure rate at high
speed and the increased shakedown from the cops ;)

I had a friend who told me that if you drive over 135 MPH you never get
speeding tickets. I think he may have been right.

I figure that if we raised the speed limit to 200 MPH, people would stop
speeding.

forging knowledge

Ed Huntress February 16th 06 01:58 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Nick Hull wrote:
[...]
Tryin with some easy values:

Y = cubert(100 * 3600 * 30 / 3) = cubert(3.6E3) =150+a little

"You mean this is highway 80 and the speed limit is 65! Well in that
case, I'm gald you didn't catch me on the 205 last night."

Your calculations failed to include the increased failure rate at high
speed and the increased shakedown from the cops ;)

I had a friend who told me that if you drive over 135 MPH you never get
speeding tickets. I think he may have been right.

Not so. My boss got nailed in 1971 doing 140 mph on I-70 near Clare,
Michigan. The good side was that he let me drive his TVR Vixen for six
months, as long as I would drive him to work. g

--
Ed Huntress

Todd Rich February 16th 06 02:07 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In rec.crafts.metalworking Don Klipstein wrote:
(snip)
Looks like a typical coal fired power plant emits into the environment
(including within-a-decade-appearing decay products) about 42-43
millicuries annually.
I don't know what the average annual leakage from nuclear plants and
waste storage facilities are, but I surely doubt the NRC would let me dump
42 millicuries per year of anything into the atmosphere, oceans, rivers,
landfills, etc.
It appears to me that if a nuclear plant near me leaked 43 millicuries
of anything into a river or into the air, it would be news.

- Don Klipstein )

Yep, but because it is a 'coal' plant rather than a 'nuclear' plant, it
doesn't seem to show up on their radar.

Btw, nice description of what happens that I snipped. Thank you.

Also, it has been about 2 days and Grame/Poo Bear hasn't responded. I
hope it is because he read up on the links provided.
Todd

Todd Rich February 16th 06 02:09 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In rec.crafts.metalworking Todd Rich wrote:
(snip)
Also, it has been about 2 days and Grame/Poo Bear hasn't responded. I
hope it is because he read up on the links provided.
Todd

Sorry to follow up on myself, but I should have checked the spelling
first.

Graham/Pooh Bear

Ken Smith February 16th 06 02:54 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]
Not so. My boss got nailed in 1971 doing 140 mph on I-70 near Clare,
Michigan. The good side was that he let me drive his TVR Vixen for six
months, as long as I would drive him to work. g

Did he get a speeding ticket or did they just charge him with dangerous
driving and yank the permit?

forging knowledge

Ed Huntress February 16th 06 03:00 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]
Not so. My boss got nailed in 1971 doing 140 mph on I-70 near Clare,
Michigan. The good side was that he let me drive his TVR Vixen for six
months, as long as I would drive him to work. g

Did he get a speeding ticket or did they just charge him with dangerous
driving and yank the permit?

He paid a huge fine and lost his license for six months. I don't think I
ever knew what the actual charge was. But it was not his first offense. g

BTW, that was I-75, not I-70.

I got his Vixen up to almost 145 on I-496. It was around 5:00 AM and the
road was empty at the time. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Jim Thompson February 16th 06 03:10 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:00:48 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]
Not so. My boss got nailed in 1971 doing 140 mph on I-70 near Clare,
Michigan. The good side was that he let me drive his TVR Vixen for six
months, as long as I would drive him to work. g

Did he get a speeding ticket or did they just charge him with dangerous
driving and yank the permit?

He paid a huge fine and lost his license for six months. I don't think I
ever knew what the actual charge was. But it was not his first offense. g

BTW, that was I-75, not I-70.

I got his Vixen up to almost 145 on I-496. It was around 5:00 AM and the
road was empty at the time. d8-)

That's how I got my recent ticket... "the road was empty at the time"
when I spotted the motorcycle cop through a gap in the trees ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Anyone can be rude, but it takes a Democrat to be a real dirtbag.

Pooh Bear February 16th 06 04:42 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:02:46 GMT, the renowned Nick Hull
wrote:

Your calculations failed to include the increased failure rate at high
speed and the increased shakedown from the cops ;)

cue Kraftwerk

" fahren farhren fahren auf der Autobahn " IIRC.

Graham

Pooh Bear February 16th 06 04:51 PM

Ken Smith wrote:

I had a friend who told me that if you drive over 135 MPH you never get
speeding tickets. I think he may have been right.

Certainly doesn't work in the UK.

Graham

Pooh Bear February 16th 06 05:00 PM

Todd Rich wrote:

Also, it has been about 2 days and Grame/Poo Bear hasn't responded.

Been busy with real life.

I hope it is because he read up on the links provided.

I briefly looked at your post and clearly will have to digest it at length.

As for the plutonium created by thermal reactors you should presumably be aware
of the fuss it can cause. See Iran. BNFL re-processes Japanese fuel btw and as
part of the agreemnt ( possibly enforced by the IAEA ? ) has to return the
separated plutonium to Japan. A 'touchy' political issue and one that they
'don't like to talk about '.

How familiar are you with Britain's BNFL and its plant at Sellafield and the
trouble it's caused ?

Graham

Pooh Bear February 16th 06 05:03 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Ken Smith wrote:

In article ,
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]
Not so. My boss got nailed in 1971 doing 140 mph on I-70 near Clare,
Michigan. The good side was that he let me drive his TVR Vixen for six
months, as long as I would drive him to work. g

Did he get a speeding ticket or did they just charge him with dangerous
driving and yank the permit?

In the UK getting caught over 100 mph is typically good for at least a 1
month ban.

OTT IMHO.

Graham

Michael A. Terrell February 17th 06 06:09 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Pooh Bear wrote:

Sadly, I suspect it may indeed be too late. Bye-bye Florida ( for example ).

Graham

Still trying to get rid of me, I see! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Mike Patterson February 17th 06 07:00 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:36:20 GMT, () wrote:

In article ,
Mike Patterson wrote:

snip--

Nevermind the fact that a single volcanic eruption can dump more
"greenhouse" gases into the atmosphere in a week than the human race
has produced since the first hominoid climbed out of the trees,

this does not agree with the literature i have read
which states that the total CO2 emitted by volcanoes is approximately
150 times less than from human activity. a useful paper is

Gerlach, T.M., 1991, Present-day CO2 emissions from volcanoes:
Transactions of the American Geophysical Union (EOS), v. 72, p. 249,
and 254-255.

the immediate effect of major volcanic eruptions is cooling
due to sulfate aerosols, which was pointed out by James Hansen
as early as 1990 or so...

pinatubo was the verification of this hypothesis, infact the cooling from
pinatubo was exactly as predicted by climate models, crude as they were
back then...

sidd

I have to go look this up, it's refreshing to see what appear to be
real cites of real research...

thanks
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Nick Hull February 17th 06 11:30 AM

Jim Thompson wrote:

That's how I got my recent ticket... "the road was empty at the time"
when I spotted the motorcycle cop through a gap in the trees ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Motorcycles drive poorly if a couple of gallons of water heavily laced
with Dawn is dropped on the road ;)

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Pooh Bear February 17th 06 11:41 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

That's how I got my recent ticket... "the road was empty at the time"
when I spotted the motorcycle cop through a gap in the trees ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Motorcycles drive poorly if a couple of gallons of water heavily laced
with Dawn is dropped on the road ;)

What's 'Dawn' ? Detergent ?

Graham

Tangent February 17th 06 01:10 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article , Keith wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:48:44 -0800, carneyke wrote:

Looks like Global Warming has really taken it's toll on the East Coast
today. I hope the liberals at large have lots of fun shoveling this
Gloabl Warming trend. Broke records in NYCity's Central Park and closed
all the major airports. Heard Boston got more of this Global Warming !
I'll take the 10 degree above normal Januarary we had. Oh sorry
forgot, Global Warming caused this blizzard shutting down the liberal
bastion of the US. Keep Shoveling Libs, keep shoveling....

Nah, you've been reading the leftist NY (Pinko) Times and the Bean-Town
(what was that smell) GLOBE again. No snow at all here. ...not one flake.

I have seen "global warming" survive the "Blizzard of 1996" that
officially dumped slightly over 30 inches onto Philadelphia - whose
previous record since 1875 was 22.3 inches (set in 1983).

And I somewhat remember Boston breaking a snowfall record last winter...
They had a storm to match or slightly outdo two 1977 ones that then set
new single-storm snowfall records in Boston!

And how about that "Blizzard of 1993" - some locations hit by that one
had records broken, including a new record of 10 inches in Birmingham
and Syracuse NY breaking its previous record set by the "Great Blizzard of
1888".

Looks like some recent record-big blizzards did not stop the world from
having its hottest year on record as a continuation of a recent-decades
upward trend, and less lignificantly the USA from having its hottest
January on record - should one more blizzard make much difference?

- Don Klipstein )

The amount of snow is not important, that is just showing the amount of
moisture the storm had(hmm).What about record lows and highs, wouldn't
that be morte relevent?

From that land that never winters

Tangnet

Todd Rich February 17th 06 09:34 PM

In rec.crafts.metalworking Pooh Bear wrote:

Todd Rich wrote:

Also, it has been about 2 days and Grame/Poo Bear hasn't responded.

Been busy with real life.

It happens. I go through that a lot myself. Sorry about the misspelling.

I hope it is because he read up on the links provided.

I briefly looked at your post and clearly will have to digest it at length.

Thank you.

As for the plutonium created by thermal reactors you should presumably be aware
of the fuss it can cause. See Iran.

Yep, it can be used as a shortcut to a nuclear weapons program. The
uranium only need to be weakly enriched to function as a fuel in a nuclear
reactor, and produces Pu as a byproduct when the U238 captures a neutron
and becomes Pu239. Since it is a different element, it can be fairly
easily chemically extracted from the fuel rod. As opposed to reacting
Uranium with Fluorine to produce Uranium Hexaflouride gas, centrifuging it
to extract the U235 many, many, times until you have a high enough
concentraction to use in a nuclear bomb. Thorium reactors on the other
hand don't really produce isotopes that are easily made into bombs. While
the U233 can be used in making a nuclear bomb, it usually has a fair
amount of U232 with it which makes it very difficult to handle for that
purpose.

BNFL re-processes Japanese fuel btw and as
part of the agreemnt ( possibly enforced by the IAEA ? ) has to return the
separated plutonium to Japan. A 'touchy' political issue and one that they
'don't like to talk about '.

How familiar are you with Britain's BNFL and its plant at Sellafield and the
trouble it's caused ?

Not that familiar, but I did look into it a bit since you mentioned it.
It looks like most of the problems they are having there are related to
difficulties they are having with the back end of the process. Crucibles
used to vitrify the liquid waste aren't lasting as long as they should,
and disposal of the crucibles isn't going as easily as it should, possibly
due to equipment purchased for that not performing to claims. They need
to either stop reprocessing fuel rods until they have processed the liquid
waste they have on hand and vitrify it, or build more capacity to handle
the liquid waste. The spent fuel rods can be stored relatively safely
while the backlog of HAL is vitrified. Sounds like the regulators need to
put their foot down. (Btw, I am definately in favor of tight regulation
and control of nuclear power and waste processing.) I could easily have
missed other problems, but it does look like that is the root cause of
most of their problems. That and workers there ignoring alarms.

Graham

Todd

Nick Hull February 18th 06 01:18 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
Pooh Bear wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

In article ,
Jim Thompson wrote:

That's how I got my recent ticket... "the road was empty at the time"
when I spotted the motorcycle cop through a gap in the trees ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Motorcycles drive poorly if a couple of gallons of water heavily laced
with Dawn is dropped on the road ;)

What's 'Dawn' ? Detergent ?

Graham

Yes ;)

Martin H. Eastburn February 19th 06 04:57 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Bugger off. And go home.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Pooh Bear wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

That storm that hit the East coast was from Africa

Top-posting NRA fathead !

Mark Fergerson February 19th 06 05:35 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Don Klipstein wrote:

In article oaKIf.32815$jR.27721@fed1read01, Mark Fergerson wrote in part:

BTW, global temperatures regularly go through wide excursions, often
lasting much longer than the miniscule periods Ecologistas want to talk
about (say 1800-today). Frinst, the dinosaurs got along quite nicely for
dozens of megayears with the global temperature a good five degrees
warmer than today's most pessimistic average estimates. Frinst, at the
beginning of the Triassic, global temps averaged 50-60F.

Granted there was a lot of desertification, but there was only one
continent straddling the equator for much of that period. Today's
continental arrangement proffers different global heat distribution.

And of course, dinos didn't have air conditioning. ;)

Besides, the Solar Constant isn't; the sun has steadily gotten
brighter since it first lit up, and is going through a short-term
"bright" phase despite the current relatively low sunspot count (cf.
"Maunder Minimum").

I have heard of a roughly 110 year "supercycle" or roughly 10 of the 11
year cycles, and solar output varies basically inversely with the sunspot
count. I think the minimum was around the sunspot peak of around 1970,
maybe around the sunspot peak of around 1980 but I am not positive.

Yup, yup, and yup, pretty much.

There are climate cycles not solely dependent on insolation. One of
the better Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation

has a chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...Variations.png

correlating glaciations and various Earth-orbital peccadilloes along
with insolation. Notice where we are now, and what the chart predicts
for the near future.

Compare with another graph from the same page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...GISS_model.gif

I think it is worth comparing global temperatures to where they were 110
years ago.

It might be if we had data as good as we can get today, but there's a
lot of wiggle room inferring historical insolation from things like
extrapolating from fossil tree-ring thickness on different continents
and even the interpretation of fairly reliable satellite data.

Mark L. Fergerson

Don Klipstein February 19th 06 08:42 PM

In article 9%1Kf.592$LG3.510@fed1read01, Mark Fergerson wrote:
Don Klipstein wrote:

I have heard of a roughly 110 year "supercycle" or roughly 10 of the 11
year cycles, and solar output varies basically inversely with the sunspot
count. I think the minimum was around the sunspot peak of around 1970,
maybe around the sunspot peak of around 1980 but I am not positive.

There are climate cycles not solely dependent on insolation. One of
the better Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

has a chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...Variations.png

correlating glaciations and various Earth-orbital peccadilloes along
with insolation. Notice where we are now, and what the chart predicts
for the near future.

Looks like the eccentricity one has more effect than anything else.
That one said it was a combination of 95, 125 and 400 kiloyear cycles.

Compare with another graph from the same page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...GISS_model.gif

I think it is worth comparing global temperatures to where they were 110
years ago.

That one does show what appears to be a deviation of solar output from
whatever "normal" is, and that does have a fair amount of positive
correlation with global temperature over the period covered (the years
1850 to 2000).

But am I interpreting this correctly to mean that since about 1950-1960
we have been getting about .2 watt per square meter more sunlight than we
got in the late 1800's? That does not sound to me enough to account for
what global average surface temperature has done since then.

- Don Klipstein )

Joseph Gwinn February 19th 06 10:31 PM

Don Klipstein wrote:

[...]

The average temperature of the Earth (atmosphere) is 288 degrees Kelvin,
so a one degree Kelvin change is 1/288= 0.00347, or about 0.35%. At
this level of precision, everything matters.

Joe Gwinn

Ref: http://library.thinkquest.org/10701/text/earth.html

maxfoo February 19th 06 11:08 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Don Klipstein wrote:

[...]

According to edgar cayce global warming is just a precursor to the poles about
to shift. Was on the history channel yesterday, anyone see it?

Don Klipstein February 19th 06 11:38 PM

Joseph Gwinn wrote in part:
In , Don Klipstein wrote:

But am I interpreting this correctly to mean that since about 1950-1960
we have been getting about .2 watt per square meter more sunlight than we
got in the late 1800's? That does not sound to me enough to account for
what global average surface temperature has done since then.

The average temperature of the Earth (atmosphere) is 288 degrees Kelvin,
so a one degree Kelvin change is 1/288= 0.00347, or about 0.35%. At
this level of precision, everything matters.

Since the late 1800's, worldwide surface-level atmospheric temperature
has increased not quite 1 degree Kelvin, let's say for the sake of
argument .3%.

In a first order of approximation, temperature of an object heated and
cooled by radiation and at equilibrium between incoming and outgoing
radiation is proportional to 4th root of the amount of radiation going
each way. So in a first order of approximation, the sun's output would
have to increase 1.205% to raise the world's temperature by .3%, or 1.395%
to raise the world's temperature by 1 degree Kelvin.

What's the "solar constant" - about 1370 watts per square meter? I
don't see an increase of .2 watt per square meter making the world nearly
a degree K warmer.

- Don Klipstein )

John Larkin February 20th 06 01:01 AM

Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

Or, possibly, the increase in greenhouse gasses being caused by global
warming.

John

Jim Thompson February 20th 06 01:26 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

Or, possibly, the increase in greenhouse gasses being caused by global
warming.

John

Sounds plausible to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
| E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |

http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Don Klipstein February 20th 06 01:37 AM

Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

Or, possibly, the increase in greenhouse gasses being caused by global
warming.

Do you remember the thread roughly a year ago when someone claimed
that increasing solar output caused global warming and that caused the
increase in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere? Someone even posted a
web cite for this with a bad number for amount of CO2 dumped into the
atmosphere by human activity. And then I looked into how much CO2 the
atmosphere gained and how much CO2 was dumped into the atmosphere by human
activity. As I remember this, it surely appeared that human activity
slightly more than accounted for the increase in atmospheric CO2, meaning
nature actually removed a little from the atmosphere.

I don't have absolute proof that recent-decades global warming has been
caused by greenhouse gases dumped into the atmosphere by human activity,
as opposed to some natural cycle affecting ocean currents and/or cloud
cover and/or cloud location and/or snowpacks (those affect absorption of
sunlight). But it really appears, at least to me, that human burning of
fossil fuels is a prime suspect for the increase of CO2 concentration in
the atmosphere since the numbers are close.
Of course, I have yet to see proof beyond all reasonable doubt that
there's no chance that nature normally regulates the CO2 concentration in
the atmosphere well and would have removed from the atmosphere the extra
that human activity adds if not for some recent shift in populations of
wildlife that have an affect on atmospheric CO2, such as insects and/or
microbes eating organic matter and exhaling CO2 and/or plants/algae
converting atmospheric CO2 to organic matter. Then again, I don't
believe we should go on burning fossil fuels the way we have been until
the evidence that this is causing the world to get warmer reaches the
strength necessarily to properly convict a murderer.

- Don Klipstein )

John Larkin February 20th 06 01:59 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:37:13 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

Of course, I have yet to see proof beyond all reasonable doubt that
there's no chance that nature normally regulates the CO2 concentration in
the atmosphere well and would have removed from the atmosphere the extra
that human activity adds if not for some recent shift in populations of
wildlife that have an affect on atmospheric CO2, such as insects and/or
microbes eating organic matter and exhaling CO2 and/or plants/algae
converting atmospheric CO2 to organic matter. Then again, I don't
believe we should go on burning fossil fuels the way we have been until
the evidence that this is causing the world to get warmer reaches the
strength necessarily to properly convict a murderer.

"Should" is good, but it's not going to happen. We'll quit burning
fossil fuels when they run out; and by then there will be another
hundred thousand power plants and another billion cars in China and
India and Africa. I think that's the reality.

John

Pooh Bear February 20th 06 02:22 AM

Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

Or, possibly, the increase in greenhouse gasses being caused by global
warming.

John

Sounds plausible to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

If there were another plausible reason for global warming maybe.

Graham

Pooh Bear February 20th 06 02:25 AM

Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

I doubt that frankly. The simple cost of fuel is likely to inhibit those
numbers.

and Africa.

Africa will never get there. No industrialisation.

I think that's the reality.

I don't.

Graham

John Larkin February 20th 06 03:10 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

Or, possibly, the increase in greenhouse gasses being caused by global
warming.

John

Sounds plausible to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

If there were another plausible reason for global warming maybe.

How about the latest ice age being over? Now all we need is a
plausible explanation for ice ages.

John

Joseph Gwinn February 20th 06 03:44 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote in part:
In , Don Klipstein wrote:

[...]

don't see an increase of 0.2 watt per square meter making the world nearly
a degree K warmer.

If that were all there was to it. I've seen plots in Science some years
ago where solar sunspot cycles were correlated with earth temperature
cycles. They looked similar, although nobody had a good theory as to
why there should be any connection all. Or why there could not. The
theories of the day revolved around variations in cloud cover due to
increases and decreases in ionizing radiation from the Sun. Who knows
if this is correct, but when the effect is ~0.3%, it doesn't take much
of a difference to be a cause.

Nor are the present day climate models anywhere near good enough to
predict such things from first principles. Such models would need to be
at least ten times more precise, or about 0.03%, to reliably predict
0.3%-level effects. Maybe someday. It's a hard problem. Research
continues, and someday will come one day.

Joe Gwinn

Don Klipstein February 20th 06 04:13 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

I would want being kept in mind that .2 watt per square meter out of
1370 in sunlight strength is about .015%, and
first-order/most-oversimplified predicted effect on temperature is 1/4 of
that or .00375%. Because of this, I do see the need to give at least some
fair amount of weight to proposed causes other than sunlight increase for
the past-century warmup of global-average surface-level atmosphere
temperature by a good .3% - especially with that increase showing lack of
signs of leveling off really soon.

- Don Klipstein )

Joseph Gwinn February 20th 06 05:34 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

In article ,
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

I do generally agree, although I do recall some reports in one of the
science magazines about discussions on just how constant the solar
constant has been. This is just about impossible to measure with
sufficient accuracy without a satellite carrying a purpose-built
instrument, and such satellites and instruments have not been around all
that long. And long-term calibration of the instruments isn't exactly
easy either.

Joe Gwinn

Gunner February 20th 06 09:05 AM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

Klipstein) wrote:

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles. Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

Or, possibly, the increase in greenhouse gasses being caused by global
warming.

John

Sounds plausible to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

If there were another plausible reason for global warming maybe.

How about the latest ice age being over? Now all we need is a
plausible explanation for ice ages.

John

Hell..thats obvious. All the prior ice ages were caused by global
industrialization and the internal combustion engine/

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Gunner February 20th 06 09:07 AM

Klipstein) wrote:

[...]

I wonder Don...given the graphs on the Wiki link...do you think the
other rises over the last 400k were the result of human CO2
generation?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Mark Fergerson February 20th 06 04:00 PM

Don Klipstein wrote:

I have heard of a roughly 110 year "supercycle" or roughly 10 of the 11
year cycles, and solar output varies basically inversely with the sunspot
count. I think the minimum was around the sunspot peak of around 1970,
maybe around the sunspot peak of around 1980 but I am not positive.

There are climate cycles not solely dependent on insolation. One of
the better Wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation

Thanks - I had some wrong ideas on sunspot cycles.

You aren't alone.

Although the article
appeared to me to largely supported the recent-decades increase on global
temperatures being mostly caused by greenhouse gases.

But as you wonder later, where are they coming from? Who'd have
thought of cow farts and vulcanism being significant contributors, or
the possibility of methane-ice blowoffs from the deep ocean bed? Who
knows what else is going on out there that we'll never find out about
because Chicken Little is gaining control of the research purse strings?

has a chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...Variations.png

correlating glaciations and various Earth-orbital peccadilloes along
with insolation. Notice where we are now, and what the chart predicts
for the near future.

Looks like the eccentricity one has more effect than anything else.
That one said it was a combination of 95, 125 and 400 kiloyear cycles.

How about that? I marvel at Chicken Little-types panicking over a
short-term blip due to one factor like fluorocarbon use while ignoring
the slow, steady, inexorable changes that we cannot hope to control[1].

Compare with another graph from the same page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...GISS_model.gif

I think it is worth comparing global temperatures to where they were 110
years ago.

That one does show what appears to be a deviation of solar output from
whatever "normal" is, and that does have a fair amount of positive
correlation with global temperature over the period covered (the years
1850 to 2000).

As you say, we aren't all that sure what "normal" is. Hell, we didn't
even know it changed until recently. I'm extremely leery of people
plugging current numbers into models and making predictions on the
assumption that whatever's driving the current numbers won't change.

But am I interpreting this correctly to mean that since about 1950-1960
we have been getting about .2 watt per square meter more sunlight than we
got in the late 1800's? That does not sound to me enough to account for
what global average surface temperature has done since then.

My point is that Chicken Little-types grab onto the first thing that
agrees with their claims, but studiously ignore all the other variables
like Krakatoa in 1883.

I marvel that they want to yank the few knobs we do have control over
all the way to "off" on the strength of questionable modelling, while
ignoring the knobs we can never reach much less turn[1].

[1] Assuming we don't ever get around to moving planets etc. around for
our convenience.

Mark L. Fergerson

Ken Smith February 20th 06 04:24 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

In article ,
John Larkin wrote:
[....]
How about the latest ice age being over? Now all we need is a
plausible explanation for ice ages.

How about a lack of green house gasses. It sounds like we may have two 90
degree phase lags here.
forging knowledge

John Larkin February 20th 06 06:07 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:44:33 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

Nor are the present day climate models anywhere near good enough to
predict such things from first principles. Such models would need to be
at least ten times more precise, or about 0.03%, to reliably predict
0.3%-level effects. Maybe someday. It's a hard problem. Research
continues, and someday will come one day.

Maybe not. Climate is a chaotic, unstable system with lots of
external, noisy inputs. It may never be accurately, or even usefully,
modeled. And if you could model the respone of climate to external and
internal events, you'd then have to model the internal dynamics of the
earth and the sun, and all the gamma-ray sources in the galaxy.

John

John Larkin February 20th 06 06:12 PM

Global Warming hits the Eastcoast !

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:24:28 +0000 (UTC),
(Ken Smith) wrote:

In article ,
John Larkin wrote:
[....]
How about the latest ice age being over? Now all we need is a
plausible explanation for ice ages.

How about a lack of green house gasses. It sounds like we may have two 90
degree phase lags here.

The evidence is that the planet's climate has swung to extremes in the
past, with maybe some periodic inputs (orbit, solar output) and maybe
some random ones (vulcanism, cosmic gamma/cosmic ray flux, galactic
interactions.) We appear to be on a natural warming slope right now,
anyhow.

Central USA was once a tropical jungle, and it was once scoured by
glaciers, with no help from us.

John