Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Really short screwdriver

I was removing a screw where there wasn't enough room for a regular
screwdriver. The offset screwdriver got it loose, but then wouldn't
ratchet once it was loose. I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I
made one:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...crewdriver.jpg
A bit of nylon from the scrap pile, a 15/64 hole, and a hex bit pressed
in. Works nice. Rev 2 will have knurling or scallops for a better
grip. And maybe just an embedded hex socket, so any bit could be used.
Yeah! When I get around to it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I was removing a screw where there wasn't enough room for a regular
screwdriver. The offset screwdriver got it loose, but then wouldn't
ratchet once it was loose. I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I made
one:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...crewdriver.jpg
A bit of nylon from the scrap pile, a 15/64 hole, and a hex bit pressed
in. Works nice. Rev 2 will have knurling or scallops for a better grip.
And maybe just an embedded hex socket, so any bit could be used. Yeah!
When I get around to it.

Bob

Yeah. My ATV has a jet screw on the bottom of the carburetor. Trouble is,
that is only about an inch and a half over the case with the carb mounted.
I did everything I could to get in there, and have one of those little
ratchet screwdrivers. But the resistance is so light it turns both ways.
So, I just made me one, but out of an old screwdriver and a piece of broom
handle.

I thought I was the only one who made tools when they were too cheap to go
spend $8 for a specialty shorty screwdriver or some other over priced
widget.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Hofstad-Parkhill

Sears had something _really_ close to yours, anodized, knurled, that
would accept any 1/4" hex bits. A notion at the checkout counter. I
picked up one, and use it all the time. It's not quite as small as
yours, but well, a bit much fancier!

Love your spur of the moment genius.

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I was removing a screw where there wasn't enough room for a regular
screwdriver. The offset screwdriver got it loose, but then wouldn't
ratchet once it was loose. I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I
made one:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...crewdriver.jpg
A bit of nylon from the scrap pile, a 15/64 hole, and a hex bit pressed
in. Works nice. Rev 2 will have knurling or scallops for a better
grip. And maybe just an embedded hex socket, so any bit could be used.
Yeah! When I get around to it.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL

Very nice!

HF has a similar size pair of screwdrivers at their stores. But only in
flat and philips.

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I was removing a screw where there wasn't enough room for a regular
screwdriver. The offset screwdriver got it loose, but then wouldn't
ratchet once it was loose. I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I made
one:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...crewdriver.jpg
A bit of nylon from the scrap pile, a 15/64 hole, and a hex bit pressed
in. Works nice. Rev 2 will have knurling or scallops for a better grip.
And maybe just an embedded hex socket, so any bit could be used. Yeah!
When I get around to it.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I was removing a screw where there wasn't enough room for a regular
screwdriver. The offset screwdriver got it loose, but then wouldn't
ratchet once it was loose. I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I
made one:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...crewdriver.jpg
A bit of nylon from the scrap pile, a 15/64 hole, and a hex bit pressed
in. Works nice. Rev 2 will have knurling or scallops for a better
grip. And maybe just an embedded hex socket, so any bit could be used.
Yeah! When I get around to it.

Bob

Bob - excellent! - it doesnt matter that you could BUY something to do
the job - you made it yourself. And thats what its all about.....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 17:57:54 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I made one:

For the lazy amongst us, Snap-on sell these. They're yellow acetal,
cheap and (best of all) the bits are interchangeable. Not regularly
interchangeable, but if you need a Torx one (only way to get the heater
out of my Citroen dashboard ) you can make one up.

Yes, I said cheap. Lots of Snap-on tools are cheap (penknife Allen sets,
nose hooks/cotter pin pullers, hex bits) - you just need to check the
pricelist and find the reasonable stuff beforehand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

My RSS *was* cheap and I that's something that I value. But it was/is
things more important than that. It was fast (5 minutes, maybe) when I
needed it right away and even waiting for MSC to deliver it the next day
was undesirable. And most importantly, it was way more satisfying than
buying it. To have the idea of how to make it, then make it, and have
it work just the way you needed, well, that's what it's all about for me.

That's what it's all about for a lot (most?) of us.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I was removing a screw where there wasn't enough room for a regular
screwdriver. The offset screwdriver got it loose, but then wouldn't
ratchet once it was loose. I needed a Really Short Screwdriver, so I
made one:

I just put a bit in a 1/4" box open wrench and gitterdone.

Wes S