Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Hathaway

Default delrin/acetal remelting

Howdy guys,

hope this question is not too far out of the scope of this newsgroup, but it
appears to be the best newsgroup for working with delrin discussion.

I have a pile of used acetal/delrin scrap that I've collected. All the same
item, from the same manufacturer, so no blends of brands/types.

I've googled acetal/delrin to death and cannot find any mention of
recycling it into new items. Is it safe/easy to melt and pour into a simple
cast? I want to make it into 4" x 4" x 2" blocks to then machine

I'm aware that melting starts at 180 deg c and Formaldehyde is released at
230deg c.

Any suggestions on making a simple mold? Will a machined out block of
aluminium with a bolted on bottom (think of a tube with a cap at one end)
that can be disassembled be good enough for mold release?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
Mark