Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

Default delrin/acetal remelting

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:30:05 +1100, "Mark Hathaway"
wrote:

Howdy guys,

hope this question is not too far out of the scope of this newsgroup, but it
appears to be the best newsgroup for working with delrin discussion.

I have a pile of used acetal/delrin scrap that I've collected. All the same
item, from the same manufacturer, so no blends of brands/types.

I've googled acetal/delrin to death and cannot find any mention of
recycling it into new items. Is it safe/easy to melt and pour into a simple
cast? I want to make it into 4" x 4" x 2" blocks to then machine

I'm aware that melting starts at 180 deg c and Formaldehyde is released at
230deg c.

Any suggestions on making a simple mold? Will a machined out block of
aluminium with a bolted on bottom (think of a tube with a cap at one end)
that can be disassembled be good enough for mold release?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Regards,
Mark

I googled "injection molding acetal conditions" because I'm pretty
sure you're not going to melt and pour it. The first hit is this
site: http://www.rtpcompany.com/info/processing/index.htm

Scroll down and you'll find acetal. It might reprocess o.k., don't
know, but the scrap would probably have to be shredded and dried as a
minimum. Drying conditions are listed on the site, and are probably
specified for 1/8" or so pellets.

Pete Keillor