Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ivan Vegvary

Default Using an air tank for vacuum?

The danger of tank collapse not withstanding, your idea should give some
'extra' vacuum. After all, don't they use vacuum storage in automobiles to
assist wiper motors (old cars) etc.?

Ivan Vegvary
"Ignoramus28190" wrote in message
. ..
Can a typical "125 PSI air tank" be used as a "buffer" of vacuum? I
have some applications in mind like desoldering, where I would use
vacuum intermittently, and it would be nice to use a tank to "store"
vacuum. I was thinking about a use of an air tank. Not sure if regular
portable air tanks can be used for vacuum, but my own feeling is that
they should be OK. Just wanted to double check. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes.... some were standard tin cans. Size matters. I think you would be
hard pressed to get a small propane tank to implode. Something the size of
a railroad car is another story.

Mark

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
The danger of tank collapse not withstanding, your idea should give some
'extra' vacuum. After all, don't they use vacuum storage in automobiles

assist wiper motors (old cars) etc.?

Ivan Vegvary
"Ignoramus28190" wrote in message
. ..
Can a typical "125 PSI air tank" be used as a "buffer" of vacuum? I
have some applications in mind like desoldering, where I would use
vacuum intermittently, and it would be nice to use a tank to "store"
vacuum. I was thinking about a use of an air tank. Not sure if regular
portable air tanks can be used for vacuum, but my own feeling is that
they should be OK. Just wanted to double check. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:33:05 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

The danger of tank collapse not withstanding, your idea should give some
'extra' vacuum. After all, don't they use vacuum storage in automobiles to
assist wiper motors (old cars) etc.?

Yes, and those vacuum storage vessels on later model GM cars are
molded in the shape of a sphere for maximum strength, and manifold
vacuum from an engine is partial.

If you start getting down into a fairly hard vacuum like that tank
car failure with condensed steam, the integrity of the vessel starts
being a serious issue. A sphere is the best shape for that job,
anything cylindrical or square is going to need serious internal
bracing to survive.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545