John Hofstad-Parkhill

Default OT - Humor

I've significantly reduced the image sizes in the names, gallery, and
project pages. sheepish grin

Anyway, you have got to hear this...

http://hofstadparkhill.com

Click on humor (on the menu)
Then click Guided Missle, it's a 'wav' file.

I host this site locally, so bandwidth will always be an issue.

Speaking of bandwidth, why is there such a disparity between upload and
download speeds? Being a professional cynic, I'm guessing it has nothing to
do with available technology, but rather to discourage web page hosting.

Brian

"John Hofstad-Parkhill" wrote in message

Speaking of bandwidth, why is there such a disparity between upload and
download speeds? Being a professional cynic, I'm guessing it has nothing

do with available technology, but rather to discourage web page hosting.

It has just about everything to do with technology, on dial-up and ADSL in
any case. They both can support only one fast channel, although there are
other DSL technologies that can be symetrical. It's nice that it also makes
web page hosting tough - all residential internet services are heavily
shared on the back end bandwidth. About 8Kbps to 10 Kbps is allocated for
download speed on 56 kbps dial, and about 25 kbps download on your typical
1.5 mbps ADSL service. Note that a legit ISP doesn't limit this - it's
based on the statistics of usage, and the bandwidth isn't allowed to
saturate the backend layer two links. One porno website in your
neighborhood would kill your response time if this wasn't how it worked.

Brian

Bernd

"John Hofstad-Parkhill" wrote in message
I've significantly reduced the image sizes in the names, gallery,

and
project pages. sheepish grin

Anyway, you have got to hear this...

http://hofstadparkhill.com

Click on humor (on the menu)
Then click Guided Missle, it's a 'wav' file.

Is this by any chance the modern version of "Who's on second?" by
Abbot and Castello done by one person?
ROFLM wipping tears from eye's

Regards,
Bernd

Boris Beizer

"John Hofstad-Parkhill" wrote in message
I've significantly reduced the image sizes in the names, gallery, and
project pages. sheepish grin

Anyway, you have got to hear this...

http://hofstadparkhill.com

Hilarious. Highly recommended. I'm not sure if that is Cheney or George II
giving the explanation -- but it sure as hell sounds like it was written by
a politician or lawyer.

Boris

--

-------------------------------------
Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email

John Ings

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:11:15 GMT, "Boris Beizer"
wrote:

http://hofstadparkhill.com

Hilarious. Highly recommended. I'm not sure if that is Cheney or George II
giving the explanation -- but it sure as hell sounds like it was written by
a politician or lawyer.

If you're flying in combat and see a missile coming up behind you
however, it won't be so funny, because that IS how they work. If it's
on course to fly up your tailpipe, it's because it's steered so it
can't see you.

An ex-missile mechanic.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:18:59 -0600, "John Hofstad-Parkhill"
brought forth from the murky depths:

I've significantly reduced the image sizes in the names, gallery, and
project pages. sheepish grin

HOLY ****, BATMAN! If that's "significantly reduced", I'd hate
to have seen them before! (jewelry by kHP) Your thumbnails are
barely discernable and full pictures waaaaay too heavy. Oh, your
own gallery is much better, but the thumbnails are pretty
pixelated.

Seek professional help. (Waving hand, pointing at self.)

Q: Why are Lise's Jewelry and Karen's page the same?!?

I like your precision level and chariot plane.

Anyway, you have got to hear this...

http://hofstadparkhill.com

Click on humor (on the menu)
Then click Guided Missle, it's a 'wav' file.

HOLY GOVERNMENT CONTRACT GOBBLEDYGOOK, BATMAN!
That was clear and concise.

That Vette Killer and Physics warnings were both hoots, too.

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! || http://diversify.com
Boycott Baby Oil! || Programmed Websites
Jon Elson

John Hofstad-Parkhill wrote:
I've significantly reduced the image sizes in the names, gallery, and
project pages. sheepish grin

Anyway, you have got to hear this...

http://hofstadparkhill.com

Click on humor (on the menu)
Then click Guided Missle, it's a 'wav' file.

Ok, now level with me, was this guy really trying to explain a
missile guidance system, or was he doing this for laughs? He sounds
serious enough that he might actually be serious. But, of course,
nobody could possibly follow what he's saying!

Jon

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

John Ings writes:

If you're flying in combat and see a missile coming up behind you
however, it won't be so funny, because that IS how they work.

In fact, if you listen carefully, it's pretty obvious that this is a
text originally written with specific symbols signifying missile and
target positions at certain times during trajectory, describing how
the missile uses relative positioning information, in an integrated
feedback loop, to chase its moving target. The symbols have been
replaced by words, so that, say, the position of the target at the
first discrete point in time of the sequence being studied is called
"where it isn't" ("it" being the missile) when discussing that point
in time, and "where it wasn't" when discussing the next point in time,
i.e. the next loop through the integration process. (That is: "where
it wasn't" means "the position of the target during the previous round
of calculations" or "where we wanted to get to the last time round".)

Try to visualize the calculations as you hear it, and it makes sense.

There is, however, an error in the translation. Can you pinpoint it?

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901