Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Rinker

Default 9"SB Tailstock alignment problem

I have a 9" tail stock that out of horizontal alignment. I shimmed it up to
the level of the headstock to line it up. Can I replace this headstock with
another or are they machined to fit each indivdual machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

David Rinker wrote:

I have a 9" tail stock that out of horizontal alignment. I shimmed it up to
the level of the headstock to line it up. Can I replace this headstock with
another or are they machined to fit each indivdual machine.

Um, tailstock setover is adjustable. Do you really mean horizontal alignment?
It's dead trivial, loosen the clamp bolt, loosen the setover screw on one side a
little, tighten it on the other side a little, reclamp it, check it.

The best way to check it is to put a 2-collar test bar between centers and turn
the outside of the two collars without touching the compound or cross-slide feed
screws, then measure the diameter of the collars. If they are identical, then
you're done. If the tailstock collar is bigger, then the tailstock needs to
slide towards you, the operator.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

It's quicker and almost as accurate to clamp a dial gage or indicator
in the chuck and check the alignment of an installed center in the
tailstock. It will immediately tell whether the tailstock is low or
high, as well as horizontal alignment.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's quicker and almost as accurate to clamp a dial gage or indicator
in the chuck and check the alignment of an installed center in the
tailstock. It will immediately tell whether the tailstock is low or
high, as well as horizontal alignment.
Bugs

Assuming your centers are properly ground, I still like the crude but simple
method of pinning a parallel between the centers, then adjusting the
tailstock to null the offset of the piece from perpendicular. Care should
be taken to get it pretty close before locking the tailstock, lest you
damage either the centers or the parallel bar.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ray Field

In place of the parallel use a piece of 0.010" shimstock.
When the tailstock is aligned, the shim will be vertical and square to ways,
horizontally and vertically.
But that is not all! Check the alignment with the tailstock barrel
retracted, and extended; this will give a good indication of parallelism of
the tailstock bore with the bed and headstock (assuming the headstock is
parallel to the bed).
Don't forget Rollies dads method of checking twist in the bed and headstock
alignment. Amazing how much fun it is to make chips with a well set up
machine.
Ray.
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.. .

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's quicker and almost as accurate to clamp a dial gage or indicator
in the chuck and check the alignment of an installed center in the
tailstock. It will immediately tell whether the tailstock is low or
high, as well as horizontal alignment.
Bugs

Assuming your centers are properly ground, I still like the crude but
simple method of pinning a parallel between the centers, then adjusting
the tailstock to null the offset of the piece from perpendicular. Care
should be taken to get it pretty close before locking the tailstock, lest
you damage either the centers or the parallel bar.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eide

Don't forget Rollies dads method of checking twist in the bed and
headstock alignment.

Which is?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

I believe you are referring to vertical rather than horizontal alignment
since you say you "shimmed it up". I do not know but I suspect the
tailstocks were matched to the headstock height since I have a 9" South Bend
which has a thicker shim than would seem reasonable for wear correction. I
have seen some instructions somewhere for building up the tailstock with
permanent shims and re-aligning it. A major job should also involve the fit
and alignment of the ram so that center-to-center alignment does not change
with ram extension.
Don Young

"David Rinker" wrote in message
I have a 9" tail stock that out of horizontal alignment. I shimmed it up to
the level of the headstock to line it up. Can I replace this headstock with
another or are they machined to fit each indivdual machine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ray Field

Google search on "Rollies Dad's Method" will give the exact procedure. It is
a simple method of checking the headstock alignment to the bed and a check
of twist in the bed. Requires a dial indicator and a reasonably straight
round bar 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter, length to suit the bed. No machining
required.
Ray