Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Default Another Drill Doctor Revisited...

Some time back, Pete Stanaitis wrote:

"Thanks to Bob Engelhardt, I googled "Darex Drill Dcotor" this morning.
The company is now "Professional Tool Manufacturing".
I called there 800-597-6170 number and got a real human being right
away. They told me they have made some design changes and one of them
is a change in chuck camming. Even though I've had my machine for a
number of years (hadn't ever used it until a couple of days ago, they
are sending me new chucks for free.
Thanks again to all those who commented to me on this. I have to
agree that, once I figured out the negative rake problem, the flutes
sure were nicely centered.

Pete Stanaitis"

Well, Thanks to Pete Stanaitis, (who called The Drill Doctor folks
thanks to Bob Engelhardt, Pete's post quoted above), I too, called the
Drill Doctor company at the above number. My experience was the same,
got a nice english speaking human on the first try, who directed me to
yet another english speaking human (Imagine that!). I described my
problem, (zero or negative relief angles, touchy setup, etc) and the
nice lady asked me for the number on the bottom of the machine. I
provided that, and she indicated that that they redesigned the chucks
since my machine was made, took my name and address and sent out 2 new
chucks.

Just got them today. An interesting observation/aside is that the
return address on the box reads "DAREX/Professional Tool Manufacturing".
Anyhow, the design of the cam surfaces is significantly different. I
might call them more "pronounced" or something and the angles the relate
the 2 camming surfaces are different. Not exactly sure how to describe
it, but definatly different. I gave this a quick try on maybe 10 bits of
various sizes, and it sure is a huge improvement. The motion wheen
turning the chucks in the machine is much more pronounced and "positive"
feeling.

I have the model 750 Pro, that came with 2 chucks. It seemed that I
could get it to work, but not consistantly and not at all on some bits.
Set up was very touchey. The new chucks seem to have solved much of
that. I had one bit that seemed to have less relief that I usually would
expect to see, so after sharpening it, I reset it in the chuck and
ground it again. It looked much better that time. Not sure I could
explain the reason for that, but it seemed to work. I blew a few holes
through some 303 and 304 stainless scraps, they worked really well,
cutting 2 nice curley chips.

Just my first impression with the new chucks.

All standard disclaimers, no connection, just a customer, blah, blah,
blah...

I do appreciate it when a company stands behind their product like
this. I bought this thing maybe 1 1/2 years ago, did not use it alot.
When I called, i got no grousing, no 40 minute call to Sri Lanka, no
"fax me your sales recipt", no nonsense. Just a nice "I'll send you the
new chucks, try them out and if you still have a problem, call me back.
Here is my direct number..." How refreshing!!

And of course, I appreciate the guys here who take the time to post
when they learn something like this. I'd have never called if Pete had
not mentioned it on RCM.

Thanks,
AL A.

Drill help barry martin Home Repair 0 November 2nd 04 11:27 PM
Measuring, lining up & drilling holes Daven Thrice Metalworking 23 September 14th 04 08:33 PM
deep hole question Bill Chernoff Metalworking 14 June 18th 04 05:36 PM
how to drill post holes in solid rock klim Home Repair 13 March 9th 04 02:41 AM
Mill, drill machine Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho Metalworking 6 January 17th 04 09:34 PM