DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/141895-armed-citizen-thwarts-home-invasion-robbery.html)

[email protected] January 28th 06 06:21 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:46:32 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

No -- but maybe I missed something. The only criminal that killed
anybody in this exchange was the guy who shot someone to protect his
property. What criminal that killed someone were you referring to?

Are wives considered property in the USA ? I thought that was
only in Moslem style countries.

As I understand the situation, the gentleman/victim/homeowner was
defending his wife - who you insult by calling her " property " -
from three cowardly armed criminals who broke into their home with the
intention of robbing & injuring. possibly killing them. You are
saying that he should not defend himself, a 71 year old and his 69
year old wife, against 3 young armed scum on the possible 1 in 10,000
chance that they would not hurt him or his wife? The scum were
armed with guns and criminals will use them against their victims,
that is the purpose of them carrying weapons.

Grow up Mike

By the way, have you sent a donation to cover the injured
criminal's medical expenses ?
Alan
in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8
VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address

rigger January 28th 06 09:35 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Hawke uttered:

Shoot first, and let God sort them out!

Every time I hear that line muttered by someone it always turns out they are
a moron.

Many who speak that line (or one very like it) aren't aware of the
proper usage,
often attributed to the U.S. Marines. IMHO it is more aptly applied
when waging
war.

dennis
in nca

Tom Wait January 28th 06 09:52 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

"Hawke" wrote in message

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:39:53 -0600, Mike Berger

wrote:
In the biggest part of this country, it isn't legal to kill
someone over property. Morally, it's reprehensible.

You missed my point. If a criminal comes into a house that is occupied,
they _know_ that the occupant might hurt them. THey have already
decided to take that risk and prepare themselves. As such, they are a
credible and real threat to the honest citizen whose safety they are
threatening by their uninvited presence.

Is anyone that comes into your house uninvited a "criminal" who deserves

be shot? You are making a lot of assumptions besides the one that anyone
coming into your house is a "criminal". That isn't always the case. I can
think of many reasons why someone might barge into your house uninvited

and
didn't have the intent to do anyone harm.

Lets hear a few of the many reasons someone can barge in to an occupied
house without invitation.

The only time that you have the
right to use deadly force is when someone is threatening you or someone

else
with deadly force,

I assume anyone barging in uninvited is there to do me or my family harm, if
I'm armed when they come in they have about 1 second to ID themselves or
start dodging bullets.

otherwise they aren't a threat and don't deserve to be
shot. As was previously stated, in most parts property damage or theft

isn't
grounds for killing someone. Only when you know for sure that someone has
entered your house with malicious intent and is a credible threat can you
legally harm them. Why would you otherwise?

I don't think anyone would argue that if someone came at you in your own
house and tried to harm you that you wouldn't have the right to use any
means at your disposal to defend yourself, including shooting them. The
question is when it isn't that cut and dried. There are a lot of what ifs
that would prevent you from legally using a gun against someone, even in
your house. So, unless you are dead sure that you are in the right it's

not
only risky for you to shoot someone but most of the time it's morally

wrong
too.

I would add though that I would have no problem shooting someone that was

threat to me or someone else. Having just sat through a concealed carry
class recently I can attest that the standard in California for using

deadly
force comes down to this: the reasonable apprehension of imminent death or
danger. If that isn't the case you better think twice before shooting at
someone.

Hawke

Tom Wait January 28th 06 09:58 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

wrote By the way, have you sent a donation to
cover the injured
criminal's medical expenses ?

Maybe we should all donate a few bucks each to buy the old guy a gun with a
little more fire power, 15 rounds of 10 mm maybe.

--
Tom Wait
Barton Rifle Shop

rigger January 28th 06 10:32 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Hawke said:

snip even though we are experiencing
an economic boom, according to the White House, there doesn't seem to
be any
money for what seem like essential services. The reason is simple. We
spend
our country's tax revenue like fools. snip

In addition, all the money being printed to fund the war,
and pumped into this country weakens the value of the
dollar. You don't see the published cost of living numbers
spiking upward because of the huge amount of trade dollars
going to China. The present administration probably sees
this as an advantage because the dollars leaving the
country will help offset the rate of inflation in the U.S. as they
will not be counted in the determination of the increase in
the cost of living. But the purchasing power of the dollar
is nevertheless, still reduced.

dennis
in nca

Dave Hinz January 28th 06 10:48 PM

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:52:07 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

Is anyone that comes into your house uninvited a "criminal" who deserves

be shot? You are making a lot of assumptions besides the one that anyone
coming into your house is a "criminal". That isn't always the case. I can
think of many reasons why someone might barge into your house uninvited

and
didn't have the intent to do anyone harm.

Lets hear a few of the many reasons someone can barge in to an occupied
house without invitation.

Don't bother trying to reason with "Hawke". Google his posting history
for enlightenment. Short version: word games, evasion, and bull****.
He pretends to understand, and then when you start thinking he's
reasonable, he goes back to the games.

Sorry (not really) Hawke, if I'm spoiling your little game.

[email protected] January 29th 06 02:01 AM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

If Norm's lady needs some inspiration, she should talk to Granny.

http://www.videovat.com/videos/897/g...chine-gun.aspx

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Hawke January 29th 06 03:42 AM

wrote:
[...]

Can't think of a reason why someone would barge into your house that isn't a
criminal? How about someone that's really drunk that's a neighbor of yours
mistakes your house for his and comes in. How about someone that is mentally
deranged or incoherent and doesn't know where they are or what they are
doing comes in. Or how about someone is being chased by someone that is
trying to assault them and they run to the nearest house possible and force
their way in. Okay, there are three possibilities right off the top of my
head. I'm sure people can think of plenty of other weird things that may
cause someone to come into a home that isn't theirs but isn't intending
harm. Say someone has just had a car accident and has a head injury. They
wander to your door and break in. You shoot them to death. Then you find out
they were no threat to anyone but themselves. Then their family sues you and
takes everything you have because you were so stupid and trigger happy.

Hawke

jim rozen January 29th 06 04:20 AM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

In article , Hawke says...

... How about someone that is mentally
deranged or incoherent and doesn't know where they are or what they are
doing comes in.

I'm not *really* sure you are helping your case here.

I think the mentally deranged folks are probably better off
in their *own* houses. Or, maybe I could visit them there,
instead.

Shortly after we moved here that sort of thing did happen, there
was an elderly man who showed up on our porch, I guess he though
it was his house. Of course we called the police and they
escorted him away, in an appropriate fashion.

But I did not invite him in to put my family at risk, no matter
how small. I'm sure he would not have harmed anyone - 99%.

But with a newborn in the house, that one percent seemed large
enough.

If there had been a fuss, I would have done what Gunner always
advocates - just go out the back door and get away. Nothing in
the house is worth a life, obviously. The rule is, retreat if
you can.

Jim

please reply to:

[email protected] January 29th 06 05:38 AM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Shoot first, and let God sort them out!

Many who speak that line (or one very like it) aren't aware of the
proper usage, often attributed to the U.S. Marines.

"Kill them all. God will know his own." --Arnold-Aimery,
1209, at Béziers during the Albigensian Crusade against
the Cathars (according to Google, anyway).

HTH
--Glenn Lyford

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:45:48 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

Sigh... yet another death caused by guns in the hands of
civilians.

But hey, if he saved his TV from being stolen, it was worth it.

Gunner wrote:
Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

What part of Home Invasion and beating up the elderly wife didnt you
understand, ****wit?

Or are you unhappy that somone created a hostile work environment for
you buddies the robbers?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

wrote:

In the biggest part of this country, it isn't legal to kill
someone over property. Morally, it's reprehensible. What
value of property do you think is worth someone's life? Would
you kill someone for stealing your garden gnome? Or do they
have to take your toaster before you'd shoot?

What part of stealing dont you understand? Or are you ok with people
stealing not only your property, but the labor it took to generate the
funds to pay for the property?

In effect..stealing a portion of your life.

Milke..if you think that breaking into a persons home and stealing
stuff shouldnt get you killed..then please, dont do it.

Gunner

Dave Hinz wrote:

Riiiight. Because he just wanted the stuff, and wasn't a threat to the
people in the home he broke into, is that it? News flash: criminals
aren't stupid. They know the risks. If they decide to break into an
occupied house, they've decided that they'll harm the occupants.
The homeowner responded appropriately to the threat.

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:42:50 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

And you think this is going to convince me that it's better to
kill someone than to lose pocket change?

The death penalty doesn't deter murders. Texas has the most guns
per capita of any state in the union, and also extremely high
crime and murder rates. So guns apparently cause more crimes
then they prevent.

Hummm then by the same criteria..since Texas has the most illegal
immigrants of all states..Illegal immigrants cause more crimes than
they prevent.

Am I stating your case correctly?

Gunner

Larry Jaques wrote:

And then get out to do it again. Of course, despite any infractions
inthe prison, they're sure to be released after half their sentence
is up. Maybe they'll move to Mike's area and rob Mike's house next.
Wouldn't that be some kinda karma? g

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
And you think this is going to convince me that it's better to
kill someone than to lose pocket change?

The death penalty doesn't deter murders. Texas has the most guns
per capita of any state in the union, and also extremely high
crime and murder rates. So guns apparently cause more crimes
then they prevent.

Are you trolling, or are you really that stupid?

Guns don't kill people, people do. Were people murdered before guns were
invented?

Hmmm, do automobiles kill people? or is it the drivers?
If so, how come you license people to drive autos, but not to
own & use guns?

Because people with more trust in the goodness of government allowed a
singularly useless intrusion on their freedom. Let bad drivers pay the
price for their stupidity and leave those of who both know how to drive
safely and do alone.

What licensing scheme has provably prevented even _one_ auto accident?

Bloody hell, I better put some shades on, the glow from your neck
is even apparent down here!

I notice that once again..the sheep ****er has to resort to adhoms
when faced with a hard question.

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:44:21 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

My god, why should your bloodthirstiness make me feel better?
You guys are very scary. You'd kill at the slightest provocation?

Define "slightest provocation"

You are refering to a group of armed men breaking into your home as
"slight provocation", are you not?

Gunner

Dave Lyon wrote:

In the mean time, I guess I'll have to cut the guy's head off with my corn
knife. Would that make you feel better?

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:53:02 -0600, Rex B
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:43:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Jan 24, 2006 9:00 pm US/Pacific

One Killed In Bakersfield Botched Home Invasion

Too bad Norm didn't get all 3. I hope he buys an auto with a 15
round mag and gives the revolver to his wife. He could have nailed
the guy who physically hurt him, too.

On the other hand, the kid wrestled the gun away from him after he
emptied it. Presumably if he'd had more ammo the kid wouldn't have had
the chance. But if Norm got off 6 rounds and then the kid grabbed the
gun, the kid would have 9 rounds for ole Norm.

You are saying that the kid would have gotten the gun if it was still
loaded?

Its possible. You do know that most cops are killed with their own
guns are you not?

Gunner January 29th 06 05:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:49:51 -0600, Mike Berger
wrote:

Maybe the kid thought Norm was overreacting and wanted to
get the gun away from the crazy coot before he hurt someone
else.

Nobody got hurt except Norm and his wife.

Gunner

Tom January 29th 06 09:27 PM

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

[...]

LOL, the token wetback adds his usual dumbass comment.

Doug January 30th 06 12:39 AM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Can't think of a reason why someone would barge into your house that
isn't a
criminal? How about someone that's really drunk that's a neighbor of
yours
mistakes your house for his and comes in.

dumb neighbor. Darwin.

How about someone that is mentally

deranged or incoherent and doesn't know where they are or what they are

doing comes in.

His family or you should have done a better job of keeping him locked
up and out of my house. This is EXACTLY the reason.

Or how about someone is being chased by someone that is

trying to assault them and they run to the nearest house possible and
force
their way in.

Hmmm. Option A is I shoot the person breaking in. Not likely, but
possible.
Option B is I shoot the person coming after the first person.
Option C is the chaser comes in, kills the person he was chasing, and
then kills me and my family.

Oh. wait. I have option A and B on my list. How long is your list?

Say someone has just had a car accident and has a head injury. They

wander to your door and break in. You shoot them to death. Then you
find out
they were no threat to anyone but themselves. Then their family sues
you and
takes everything you have because you were so stupid and trigger happy.

In your scenario, the person was mentally incompetent, deranged, and
generally out of control. Second,, we won't "find out they were no
threat." They are dead. Third, "jury of your peers."

Tell you what. Why don't you conduct a scientific poll. Break into a
few houses, and report back on how friendly and nice folks are out
there.

Gunner January 30th 06 01:26 AM

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:27:15 +1300, Tom wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

[...]

Token wetback???? Drunk again after a night of debauchery among the
flock, eh Tom?

Tom January 30th 06 01:55 AM

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

[...]

From your self-admitted socio-economic status, I'd say I'm
tending toward flattery.. Most wetbacks enter the US with
the sole purpose of self-improvment..

Tom

Gunner January 30th 06 09:34 AM

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

[...]

From your self-admitted socio-economic status, I'd say I'm
tending toward flattery.. Most wetbacks enter the US with
the sole purpose of self-improvment..

Tom

Odd..I was born here. So Tom..how DO you keep a french maids costume
on a sheep? Ive asked before..but you never tell me your trade
secrets.

Velcro I assume?

Tom January 30th 06 10:13 AM

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

[...]

From your self-admitted socio-economic status, I'd say I'm
tending toward flattery.. Most wetbacks enter the US with
the sole purpose of self-improvment..

Tom

Odd..I was born here. So Tom..how DO you keep a french maids costume
on a sheep? Ive asked before..but you never tell me your trade
secrets.

Velcro I assume?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Perhaps you wish you were born south of the border?
Then perhaps you'd have a better work ethic and
perhaps less of a preoccupation with bestiality.

Your sig is indicative to the world what sort of
shallow-minded stereotypical jerk you really are.

[email protected] January 30th 06 12:30 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:55:03 +1300, with neither quill nor qualm, Tom
quickly quoth:

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:27:15 +1300, Tom wrote:

Kiddies, please take it to email if you're going to fight.

This behavior is neither on topic nor properly OT. ;)

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Don Bruder January 30th 06 02:56 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Gunner wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:27:15 +1300, Tom wrote:

Kiddies, please take it to email if you're going to fight.

This behavior is neither on topic nor properly OT. ;)

Or even mildly entertaining.

--
Don Bruder -
- If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,

Gunner January 30th 06 06:33 PM

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:27:12 +1300, Tom wrote:

John Husvar wrote:

In article , Tom
wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

[...]

From your self-admitted socio-economic status, I'd say I'm
tending toward flattery.. Most wetbacks enter the US with
the sole purpose of self-improvment..

Tom

Odd..I was born here. So Tom..how DO you keep a french maids costume
on a sheep? Ive asked before..but you never tell me your trade
secrets.

Velcro I assume?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Perhaps you wish you were born south of the border?
Then perhaps you'd have a better work ethic and
perhaps less of a preoccupation with bestiality.

Work ethic? Odd...my customers have never complained nor have any of
my employers. In fact..I was fired once in my 35 yrs of working. When
I complained about them screwing me and the bounced paychecks. The
labor board fined the **** out of them and forced them to pay the
labor board..who then payed me..so they counldnt bounce any more
checks.

Now as far as my fascination with your particular interpretation of
the term Animal Husbandry...shrug...some people go to the races to
watch the car wrecks. I read your posts with the same anticipation.

Your sig is indicative to the world what sort of
shallow-minded stereotypical jerk you really are.

Not only do you boink sheep..but you have no sense of humor to go
along with it. Fascinating. Personally..I consider your personal
"kink" to be hysterically funny. My sig is only a little funny.

I wonder Tommy..do you keep your Sheep de jour in a Burka?

Tom January 30th 06 07:31 PM

**** off Larry, your jerk brother started this crap!

jj February 1st 06 05:35 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

Gunner wrote:

She responded with (2) 240gr jacketed hollow points, about 2" apart,
center of mass.

Ouch, that probably left a mark! LOL I really slay myself!

Freeway Liquors, just a stop and rob off the 58 freeway, had at last
count..7 discreet tombstones painted next to the front door, one for
each robber that was killed trying to rob the store. Its easy freeway
access made it quite a target for some years before the news got
passed around down in the So. Cal area..that its a Bad Place for bad
guys to try to hit.

Uh, which exit? :-) Seriously, I'd like to visit this place, make a
purchase and get permission to take a picture of the tombstones.

Reminds me of a couple of fellas who did not do their research and
tried to hold up a cop bar several years ago in Vegas. They got
ventilated.

Jay

Don Bruder February 1st 06 07:58 PM

(jj) wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

"Think of it as evolution in action" :)

Gunner February 1st 06 08:29 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 17:35:04 GMT, (jj)
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

She responded with (2) 240gr jacketed hollow points, about 2" apart,
center of mass.

Ouch, that probably left a mark! LOL I really slay myself!

Freeway Liquors, just a stop and rob off the 58 freeway, had at last
count..7 discreet tombstones painted next to the front door, one for
each robber that was killed trying to rob the store. Its easy freeway
access made it quite a target for some years before the news got
passed around down in the So. Cal area..that its a Bad Place for bad
guys to try to hit.

Uh, which exit? :-) Seriously, I'd like to visit this place, make a
purchase and get permission to take a picture of the tombstones.

A quick google shows it as
2030 E Brundage Ln
Use mapquest for the proper exit off of Hiway 58
Ive not been there in at least 10 yrs..but unless the owners have
changed to middle easterners...they should be still painted there (MEs
have bought most of the stop n robs in Bakersfield)

Reminds me of a couple of fellas who did not do their research and
tried to hold up a cop bar several years ago in Vegas. They got
ventilated.

Jay

Happened in Detroit back in the 70s too. Darwin Event

jim rozen February 1st 06 10:55 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

In article , Gunner says...

Happened in Detroit back in the 70s too. Darwin Event

In boston the deal was some stoned guy who always wound up
desperate for a munchie fix. And would stop by the Dunkin
Donuts. And imediately be arrested by a half dozen cops.

Why do you think they call it dope.

Jim

please reply to:

[email protected] February 2nd 06 02:13 AM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:58:58 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Bruder quickly quoth:

Jay said:
Reminds me of a couple of fellas who did not do their research and
tried to hold up a cop bar several years ago in Vegas. They got
ventilated.

"Think of it as evolution in action" :)

Verily.

That is a most excellent quote from Niven's "Oath of Fealty". That was
the second book I had read by him before I devoured every book he
wrote. What a fantastic author! Niven, Asimov, Heinlein, the Top
Three Sci-Fi authors of all time! I'm devouring all of Andre Norton's
tomes now.

Note to Gunner: if you haven't already read them, get her CatFantastic
series. 3 books of short stories by her and others, all very good.

--
- Tom Mix Died For Your Sins -
--------------------------

Don Bruder February 2nd 06 03:44 AM

Metal content? What's that? (was Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery)

Jay said:
Reminds me of a couple of fellas who did not do their research and
tried to hold up a cop bar several years ago in Vegas. They got
ventilated.

"Think of it as evolution in action" :)

Verily.

That is a most excellent quote from Niven's "Oath of Fealty".

Good eye! :)

But don't forget that Jerry Pournelle was involved in OoF (as well as
the Mote books, which are set in the same universe, just much futher in
the future)

Don't ignore Pournelle's "solo" stuff - "High Justice" and "King David's
Spaceship" to name the two I'm most quickly able to think of (also set
in the CoDominion universe) - just because he doesn't have Larry along
for the ride, either. I think the two of them make up a killer team -
Larry for the "hardcore Sci-Fi" jelly that's needed to cut through the
peanut-butter thick politics and "future history" that Jerry piles on,
and Jerry to keep Larry's propensity for being sort of "scatterbrained"
from derailing the tale of the moment. Larry by himself tends to work
better in "short story" format, I think, which frustrates the bejeebers
out of me. Jerry "stabilizes" him, so that instead of just "brushing
past" some fascinating concept with a five word mention, then seemingly
forgetting about it completely, the neat concept actually gets explored.

Footfall was another one where they worked brilliantly together, and for
exactly the reasons mentioned: Larry had some *NEAT* aliens, with
just-as-neat tech. Jerry had an excellent pot of "political glue" to
stick them together into something more than the usual "Alien Invaders
From Arcturus" crap that gets passed off as "good Sci-Fi" so
depressingly often. But I still want to know exactly what became of
Hairy Red... The mega-strong hint that he died is there, but... And
*WHAT HAPPENED AFTER?!?!?* Did the aliens manage to figure out the trick
of "false surrender", or did they become, effectively, slaves to
humanity? Or perhaps the homeworld sent another expedition and Earth got
its arse kicked? Or did Earth pick up the tech from the cube, and send
an expedition to the homeworld and kick arse? Or something else? Like
Mote in God's Eye, which finally got one (and it wouldn't hurt my
feelings too much to see another one) Footfall simply cries for a
sequel, IMO.

And then there's the line from Gripping Hand: "They've bombed themselves
back to the reinvention of the brick" - *LOVE* the mental picture that
pops up :)

That was
the second book I had read by him before I devoured every book he
wrote. What a fantastic author! Niven, Asimov, Heinlein, the Top
Three Sci-Fi authors of all time! I'm devouring all of Andre Norton's
tomes now.

Witch World got old and tired for me after about the 3rd or 4th one (and
last I knew, there were something like a dozen WW boooks total) but
she's put out other good stuff. Dunno what it is, but certain books have
a "fog" over them for me - The story seems to be packed in cotton or
something, so that I can't get into it far enough to "see clearly" - The
WW books I managed to slog through (and gawd, was it a slog) fit that
class.

Gunner February 2nd 06 04:08 AM

Jay said:
Reminds me of a couple of fellas who did not do their research and
tried to hold up a cop bar several years ago in Vegas. They got
ventilated.

"Think of it as evolution in action" :)

Verily.

That is a most excellent quote from Niven's "Oath of Fealty". That was
the second book I had read by him before I devoured every book he
wrote. What a fantastic author! Niven, Asimov, Heinlein, the Top
Three Sci-Fi authors of all time! I'm devouring all of Andre Norton's
tomes now.

Note to Gunner: if you haven't already read them, get her CatFantastic
series. 3 books of short stories by her and others, all very good.

Niven and Pournell are among my favorite authors..along with Weber
and Johnny Ringo.

If you are into E-books..email my your snail mail addy and Ill send
you a CD ...about 500 megs of qualty Scifi, and all the L'Amours,
Aspins Myth books, Flinx series, and a bunch of odd stuff on
electronics, Linux and so forth. I have a couple drives in my Stack O
Drives dedicated to eboks. I fill a 700 meg CD with stuff to keep you
amused for a while. Plus a bunch of gun manuals if you want..all sorts
of stuff plus supressors and whatnot.

Im trying to find all the Posleen related books at the moment, I think
Ive got the last Honor Harrington recently too all on ebooks.

Got most in PDFs, Lit RTF etc etc. If I had something besides
dialup..Id have more.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

[email protected] February 2nd 06 03:09 PM

Metal content? What's that? (was Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery)

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:44:30 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Bruder quickly quoth:

In article ,
wrote:

That is a most excellent quote from Niven's "Oath of Fealty".

Good eye! :)

But don't forget that Jerry Pournelle was involved in OoF (as well as
the Mote books, which are set in the same universe, just much futher in
the future)

Don't ignore Pournelle's "solo" stuff - "High Justice" and "King David's
Spaceship" to name the two I'm most quickly able to think of (also set

Yes, I enjoy Jerry's work, too. I've read KDS but HJ wasnt in the
library system here.

in the CoDominion universe) - just because he doesn't have Larry along
for the ride, either. I think the two of them make up a killer team -
Larry for the "hardcore Sci-Fi" jelly that's needed to cut through the
peanut-butter thick politics and "future history" that Jerry piles on,
and Jerry to keep Larry's propensity for being sort of "scatterbrained"
from derailing the tale of the moment. Larry by himself tends to work
better in "short story" format, I think, which frustrates the bejeebers
out of me. Jerry "stabilizes" him, so that instead of just "brushing
past" some fascinating concept with a five word mention, then seemingly
forgetting about it completely, the neat concept actually gets explored.

All of his co-authors have been fantastic.

Mote in God's Eye, which finally got one (and it wouldn't hurt my
feelings too much to see another one) Footfall simply cries for a
sequel, IMO.

AGREED! (Is "by tomorrow" too soon, Mr. Niven?)

And then there's the line from Gripping Hand: "They've bombed themselves
back to the reinvention of the brick" - *LOVE* the mental picture that
pops up :)

Ayup. And that's what the Luddite environmentalists want to do to our
world. sigh (I just finished reading Ronald Bailey's "EcoScam".)

That was
the second book I had read by him before I devoured every book he
wrote. What a fantastic author! Niven, Asimov, Heinlein, the Top
Three Sci-Fi authors of all time! I'm devouring all of Andre Norton's
tomes now.

Witch World got old and tired for me after about the 3rd or 4th one (and

I read the first one and found it a tough read, as I did Black
Trillium, so I'll leave those series 'til the end, maybe picking up
another in each series to give it a try. "Gryphon's Eyrie" is done
with A.C. Crispin and will be the next WW I'll try.

last I knew, there were something like a dozen WW boooks total) but
she's put out other good stuff. Dunno what it is, but certain books have
a "fog" over them for me - The story seems to be packed in cotton or
something, so that I can't get into it far enough to "see clearly" - The
WW books I managed to slog through (and gawd, was it a slog) fit that
class.

Yeah some are like reading through quicksand. Pass! The Carolus Rex
series was like wading through a medieval dungeon filled with dime
romance novels. Not my cup of tea.

--
- Tom Mix Died For Your Sins -
--------------------------

[email protected] February 2nd 06 03:12 PM

Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:08:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Niven and Pournell are among my favorite authors..along with Weber
and Johnny Ringo.

If you are into E-books..email my your snail mail addy and Ill send

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd take you up on that but I don't do well
with ebooks. My eyes get tired too quickly and I can't curl up with a
damned laptop like I can with a lightweight paperback.

--
- Tom Mix Died For Your Sins -
--------------------------

Richard Lamb February 2nd 06 03:17 PM

Metal content? What's that? (was Armed citizen thwarts homeinvasion robbery)

Has Larry actually written anything new in the last dozen years
or more?

All I've seen lately are the Man Kizen War short stories written
by other people.

Richard

Don Bruder February 2nd 06 03:51 PM

Metal content? What's that? (was Armed citizen thwarts home invasion robbery)

In article .net,
Richard Lamb wrote:

Has Larry actually written anything new in the last dozen years
or more?

All I've seen lately are the Man Kizen War short stories written
by other people.

Richard

I think the latest thing Larry has done was another Ringworld book a
year or two ago - I'm wanting to say the title was/is "Children of the
Ringworld", and I seem to recall seeing someplace that quoted him as
saying something that boiled down to "The Ringworld series is finished -
It's huge, it's got potential from here to there, but I'm flat bored
with it, so this is most likley the last installment."

The one review-ish thing I read about it said that his boredom was
pretty obvious.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd for more info

Gunner February 2nd 06 04:38 PM

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:12:02 -0800, wrote:

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 04:08:37 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Niven and Pournell are among my favorite authors..along with Weber
and Johnny Ringo.

If you are into E-books..email my your snail mail addy and Ill send

Thanks, but no thanks. I'd take you up on that but I don't do well
with ebooks. My eyes get tired too quickly and I can't curl up with a
damned laptop like I can with a lightweight paperback.

I read a lot on the computer..I use MobiPocket etc, adjust the font
and type styles to my liking, and kick back in the chair and read.

The difficult thing is when Im on the throne in the "library"...which
is where paper books shine..and a piece of that paper on the roll
makes a great book mark.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Rex B February 2nd 06 05:26 PM

Gunner wrote:

I read a lot on the computer..I use MobiPocket etc, adjust the font
and type styles to my liking, and kick back in the chair and read.

The difficult thing is when Im on the throne in the "library"...which
is where paper books shine..and a piece of that paper on the roll
makes a great book mark.

That's where the laptop belongs!