Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
conan

Default Victorian ring marking

Good eveing all. I have a white gold ring with the markings 14k B&F
stamped on the inside of the ring. I believe its from the victorian
age. Does anyone know what the B& F stand for?

Thanks

Conan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

conan wrote:

Good eveing all. I have a white gold ring with the markings 14k B&F
stamped on the inside of the ring. I believe its from the victorian
age. Does anyone know what the B& F stand for?

Thanks

Conan

Makers mark, possibly, or the mark of the chain store or mail order
house that retailed it. Not a lot to go on, really.

What makes you think it's victorian?

Without something reliable (if not forged) like hallmarks to date it
by, you are stuck as to guessing if the style is to the times it was
made in, or if the maker was emulating that particular style. Know any
of the ring's history? Provenence?

Cheers
Trevor Jones