Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bryan

Default setup detail for century 125gs

Anyone with one of these units that could help me...

I have had it on my bench for several months and finally got around to
setting it up last week.

My question relates to a long tapered coil/spring that was inside the
welding tip. When fully extended this spring would poke outside the
shield by about 4 inches. This just looked plain wrong and was not
evident in any of the instructional diagrams that came with the unit.
Further, pushing back on it would slide it back into the tip/sleeve so
it was not fixed. On top of that it seemed to interfere with the
feeding of the weld wire.

I noticed that is was flared at the tip end to prevent it from slipping
out of the screw on tip, so it seems an integral part of the unit.

I left it in and have since fried it completely; my first attempt at
welding heated it sufficiently to make it deform.

My question: throw it away or try and replace. What the heck is that
thing for?

Thanks,
Bryan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Keith Marshall

"Bryan" wrote in message
Anyone with one of these units that could help me...

I have had it on my bench for several months and finally got around to
setting it up last week.

My question relates to a long tapered coil/spring that was inside the
welding tip. When fully extended this spring would poke outside the
shield by about 4 inches. This just looked plain wrong and was not
evident in any of the instructional diagrams that came with the unit.
Further, pushing back on it would slide it back into the tip/sleeve so
it was not fixed. On top of that it seemed to interfere with the
feeding of the weld wire.

I used to have one of those and there was no such spring in it... unless
you're talking about the liner? The liner looks like the spiral lining of a
bicycle brake cable. If that's what you're talking about it needs to be
there and should be pushed back in far enough that you can see it on the
inside of the welder where the wire goes into the torch/hose.

If you have the manual for it look on page 12 for a drawing of the gun and
the wire feeder / drive assembly. The drive assembly drawing actually shows
the end of the liner.

If this is not what you mean and there is actually a spring in there I can't
imagine any reason you would want it and it isn't shown in the drawing in
the manual so remove it and see how the welder works.

If you don't have the manual I have a PDF version of it and the parts
listing that I'd be happy to email to you. Email me directly if you want
them and I'll attach them to a reply.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"