Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default Need to replace an old 8" bench grinder

I finally decided to dump the 20+ year old 8" Harbor Fright grinder that
shakes the whole house every time I turn it on.

Since I've got a pair of ~$40 each 1" wide wheels I bought about 10 years
ago, I'm looking to replace it with something the same size.

Are there any on-line reviews of bench grinders?

How about recent magazine articles?

What brands should I avoid?

TIA

Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rastus

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:41:31 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

I finally decided to dump the 20+ year old 8" Harbor Fright grinder that
shakes the whole house every time I turn it on.

Since I've got a pair of ~$40 each 1" wide wheels I bought about 10 years
ago, I'm looking to replace it with something the same size.

Are there any on-line reviews of bench grinders?

How about recent magazine articles?

What brands should I avoid?

TIA

Norm

I've had good luck with Baldor's, but they are kind of pricey.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Norm Dresner :
I finally decided to dump the 20+ year old 8" Harbor Fright grinder that
shakes the whole house every time I turn it on.

Since I've got a pair of ~$40 each 1" wide wheels I bought about 10 years
ago, I'm looking to replace it with something the same size.

O.K.

Are there any on-line reviews of bench grinders?

How about recent magazine articles?

What brands should I avoid?

I don't know about the direct answers to your questions above,
but I will say that I got a Jet brand 8" bench grinder from a local
hardware store which normally sells to building contractors. It had
been sitting in the window long enough so the box was noticeably faded,
perhaps ten years or so. It was the only one which they had.

I was uncertain about the Jet brand, but it turned out to be a
very nice, quiet grinder, with very well balanced wheels. It takes
nearly forever to spin down after I switch it off, so the bearings are
quite nice as well.

And -- it spins up almost instantly, so it is not one of those
underpowered motors in an oversized housing as so many of the cheap
bench grinders turn out to be these days.

I don't know whether a more recent Jet would be as good.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

You might consider a belt driven arbor on pillow blocks. You'll never have
to replace the whole thing again, just parts. Lots of advantages!

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I finally decided to dump the 20+ year old 8" Harbor Fright grinder that
shakes the whole house every time I turn it on.

Since I've got a pair of ~$40 each 1" wide wheels I bought about 10 years
ago, I'm looking to replace it with something the same size.

Are there any on-line reviews of bench grinders?

How about recent magazine articles?

What brands should I avoid?

TIA

Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:05:07 GMT, Ignoramus29068
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:45:08 -0600, Rastus wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 22:41:31 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

I finally decided to dump the 20+ year old 8" Harbor Fright grinder that
shakes the whole house every time I turn it on.

Since I've got a pair of ~$40 each 1" wide wheels I bought about 10 years
ago, I'm looking to replace it with something the same size.

Are there any on-line reviews of bench grinders?

How about recent magazine articles?

What brands should I avoid?

TIA

Norm

I've had good luck with Baldor's, but they are kind of pricey.

I have a used Baldor, 1/2 HP, 7 and 8 inch wheels, it works like in a
dream. Super quiet and smooth turning. Very solidly built from cast
iron, cannot be compared with stamped cheap grinders. I am sure that
with my typical use, it will outlast me.

Ive a very nice 6" Baldor Ive used for years..that suddenly and for no
good reason let out all the magic smoke.

Damnit

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
resneps

Default Need to replace an old 8

You might consider a belt driven arbor on pillow blocks. You'll
never have
to replace the whole thing again, just parts. Lots of advantages!

Just stumbled in....been looking for a belt driven arbor for some

time....any hints who still sells these? I have not seen one for
years.