mongke

Default Victor type 17 torch tips

Hi all
Anyone know of aplace that sells victor type 17 welding tips (for J type
torch), preferably in Florida or online?. I need 4-W-J and 6-W-J. Goss
seems to have equivalents but has no online ordering.
As an alternative, it's possible to remove the elbow form the mixing nut
(these tips come always with the nut) and replace it with another elbow on
a per need basis? I have not tried it afraid of damaging the tip.

Any help thanked in advance,

Regards,

Mongke

Stan Schaefer

"mongke" wrote in message ...
Hi all
Anyone know of aplace that sells victor type 17 welding tips (for J type
torch), preferably in Florida or online?. I need 4-W-J and 6-W-J. Goss
seems to have equivalents but has no online ordering.
As an alternative, it's possible to remove the elbow form the mixing nut
(these tips come always with the nut) and replace it with another elbow on
a per need basis? I have not tried it afraid of damaging the tip.

Any help thanked in advance,

Regards,

Mongke

MSC used to carry them, try www.mscdirect.com. I've never seen "type
17" used in referring to the J handle tips, they just have the "x-W-x"
on the packages hanging on the hooks at the welding supply here. I've
never seen the tips by themselves, they always come with the seals and
nuts. Have you got tips that are damaged or what? I've got one #2
tip that's had a lot of use and the orfice has become enlarged. I've
been going to make up a swage to close it down and redrill it to get
it usable again. Just haven't gotten around to it yet, a replacement
#2 was available off the hooks, cheap, so that's what I got.

Now, Victor used to catalog a type of tip compatible with their
handles that had a removable and replaceable tip orfice, the mixer and
retaining nut were separate from that. That always seemed to be a
smart way of doing things if you were in the habit of wearing out a
lot of tips. The orfices were about half the cost of the all-in-one
type of tip. The only problem I could see with that is how they
sealed the orfice to the mixer body, if that seal became damaged, you
could have some interesting effects at the tip. Also the whole thing
was more expensive than the all-in-one type, you'd have to really use
up a lot of orfices up to make it pay off. I don't use a torch that
much, so I've never pursued it further.

Stan
Craig

"mongke" wrote in message ...
Hi all
Anyone know of aplace that sells victor type 17 welding tips (for J type
torch), preferably in Florida or online?. I need 4-W-J and 6-W-J. Goss
seems to have equivalents but has no online ordering.
As an alternative, it's possible to remove the elbow form the mixing nut
(these tips come always with the nut) and replace it with another elbow on
a per need basis? I have not tried it afraid of damaging the tip.

Any help thanked in advance,

Try Victor's headquaters in Denton, Texas....A quick look at the home
page showed a whole bunch of WJ series tips with and without the nuts.

Craig C.

mongke

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:26:37 +0000, Stan Schaefer wrote:

"mongke" wrote in message
Hi all
Anyone know of aplace that sells victor type 17 welding tips (for J
type
torch), preferably in Florida or online?. I need 4-W-J and 6-W-J. Goss
seems to have equivalents but has no online ordering.
As an alternative, it's possible to remove the elbow form the mixing
nut
(these tips come always with the nut) and replace it with another elbow
on a per need basis? I have not tried it afraid of damaging the tip.

Any help thanked in advance,

Regards,

Mongke

nuts. Have you got tips that are damaged or what? I've got one #2 tip
that's had a lot of use and the orfice has become enlarged. I've been
going to make up a swage to close it down and redrill it to get it
usable again. Just haven't gotten around to it yet, a replacement #2
was available off the hooks, cheap, so that's what I got.

Now, Victor used to catalog a type of tip compatible with their handles
that had a removable and replaceable tip orfice, the mixer and retaining
nut were separate from that. That always seemed to be a smart way of
doing things if you were in the habit of wearing out a lot of tips. The
orfices were about half the cost of the all-in-one type of tip. The
only problem I could see with that is how they sealed the orfice to the
mixer body, if that seal became damaged, you could have some interesting
effects at the tip. Also the whole thing was more expensive than the
all-in-one type, you'd have to really use up a lot of orfices up to make
it pay off. I don't use a torch that much, so I've never pursued it
further.

Stan

No the tip I got is fine. Just tough the elbow coudl be exchanged for
another to suit need.
Anyway I found the tips at WEldingDepot and ordered form them. Turns out
I had to look for "W-J" and not for "x-W-J"

Thanks

Mongke