DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Walmart (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/141090-re-walmart.html)

John Normile January 19th 06 11:08 PM

Walmart

One day I asked my brother why he didn't buy his clothes at Walmart.
He said he didn't have enough money for that. Meaning he couldn't
afford to repeatedly replace poor quality clothes.

If you do find something there that meets your needs, just wait.
Before long, Walmart will cheapen it to the point of becoming useless.

John Normile

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 05:07:42 GMT, Ignoramus12063
wrote:

I used to feel, and with some reasons, that Walmart was an honest
company providing us the benefits of its efficiency and purchasing
power.

I no longer think so and do not regard walmart as a trustworthy
company, based on my personal experiences with the following.

1. "Smart battery chargers" are worse than stupid battery chargers,
turning off at various times based on wrong (in my opinion) charging
algorithm.

2. Their soldering iron does not solder anything.

3. Their battery jumper cable was complete trash and basically fell
apart and was very bad. (I need a decent jumper cable by the way,
something made for real users).

I had a few other experiences with their stuff made just to barely
survive light use. Perhaps it is OK for people who use things very
lightly, but they do not work well for me. I am not in any way a
"tough user", just trying to do things as they were intended to be
done, like solder wires or jump car batteries. I have resolved to buy
better stuff and pay more than walmart prices if necessary.

Had to get this off my chest.

Ron Thompson January 20th 06 02:25 PM

Walmart

One day I asked my brother why he didn't buy his clothes at Walmart.
He said he didn't have enough money for that. Meaning he couldn't
afford to repeatedly replace poor quality clothes.

If you do find something there that meets your needs, just wait.
Before long, Walmart will cheapen it to the point of becoming useless.

John Normile

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody."
Bill Cosby

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

[email protected] January 20th 06 02:53 PM

Walmart

Ron Thompson wrote:

If you do find something there that meets your needs, just wait.
Before long, Walmart will cheapen it to the point of becoming useless.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

When one retailer becomes the critical customer to a manufacturer, they
gain the power to dictate details of what should be internal decisions
within the manufacturer.

To some extent you are safe with name brands for which the large
retailer is only one of many places it can be bought... however, there
have been rumors of manufacturers making a different version of their
product for discount retailers vs. traditional speciality stores.

Ed Huntress January 20th 06 03:00 PM

Walmart

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ron Thompson wrote:

If you do find something there that meets your needs, just wait.
Before long, Walmart will cheapen it to the point of becoming useless.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be

gone from
the inventory.

When one retailer becomes the critical customer to a manufacturer, they
gain the power to dictate details of what should be internal decisions
within the manufacturer.

And when one retailer becomes dominant in a geographical marketing area,
they worry less about selling what people want to buy: people buy what they
sell. For example, the selection that many people in rural areas of the
country had, for decades, was whatever Sears sold.

There's evidence that this is happening to some degree with Wal-Mart now, in
areas where they've knocked off competing retailers.

--
Ed Huntress

Rex B January 20th 06 03:02 PM

Walmart

Ron Thompson wrote:
One day I asked my brother why he didn't buy his clothes at Walmart.
He said he didn't have enough money for that. Meaning he couldn't
afford to repeatedly replace poor quality clothes.

If you do find something there that meets your needs, just wait.
Before long, Walmart will cheapen it to the point of becoming useless.

John Normile

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

Well, sort of. What actually happens is an item is introduced with good
quality, materials etc. It sell well, the volume is established and
predictable. Then they purchasing agent looks for ways to reduce the
cost of the item, so he (she) pressures the supplier to lower his cost.
The supplier then has to reduce his cost by substituting cheaper
materials, fasteners, and taking shortcuts in design.

I'm in the auto parts business, and it happens here also. Once the OE
builds a part to a certain spec, and thousands are in service, a service
life expectancy is established. If the OE part proves to usually last
beyond the average life of the car, then the decision is made to lower
the spec. No sense overbuilding at additional expense to get an extended
service life that will, on average, be wasted.

[email protected] January 20th 06 03:26 PM

Walmart

Ed Huntress wrote:

And when one retailer becomes dominant in a geographical marketing area,
they worry less about selling what people want to buy: people buy what they
sell. For example, the selectio that many people in rural areas of the
country had, for decades, was whatever Sears sold.

There's evidence that this is happening to some degree with Wal-Mart now, in
areas where they've knocked off competing retailers.

True - however while the Walmart 45 minutes away from your rural
homestead may approach a bricks and mortar monopoly, they have to
compete with online retailers offering delivery to your door in a day
or three. Probably, there will be one of those offering the
professional version of an item - ie, the one used by people who use it
daily and know how it's supposed to work.

Rex B January 20th 06 03:42 PM

Walmart

wrote:
Ron Thompson wrote:

If you do find something there that meets your needs, just wait.
Before long, Walmart will cheapen it to the point of becoming useless.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

When one retailer becomes the critical customer to a manufacturer, they
gain the power to dictate details of what should be internal decisions
within the manufacturer.

To some extent you are safe with name brands for which the large
retailer is only one of many places it can be bought... however, there
have been rumors of manufacturers making a different version of their
product for discount retailers vs. traditional speciality stores.

We buy from a lot of manufacturers who also sell to Wal-Mart. The
Turtle Wax guy was showing us the new items for 2006. One was cross off
with a red pen. We asked what happened to that one. the answer was "We
announced it, but Wal-Mart did not buy it, so we cancelled it".
Similarly, WD40 came out with a new pen applicator. We placed an
order then, but were told that it would not be available to anyone but
Wal-Mart until Jan 2006. it would take them that long - 6 months
production - to fill the Wal-Mart order.

Ed Huntress January 20th 06 03:48 PM

Walmart

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ed Huntress wrote:

And when one retailer becomes dominant in a geographical marketing area,
they worry less about selling what people want to buy: people buy what

they
sell. For example, the selectio that many people in rural areas of the
country had, for decades, was whatever Sears sold.

There's evidence that this is happening to some degree with Wal-Mart

now, in
areas where they've knocked off competing retailers.

True - however while the Walmart 45 minutes away from your rural
homestead may approach a bricks and mortar monopoly, they have to
compete with online retailers offering delivery to your door in a day
or three. Probably, there will be one of those offering the
professional version of an item - ie, the one used by people who use it
daily and know how it's supposed to work.

I wouldn't say there is a strict monopoly on much of anything sold in the
US, and Internet shopping, a modern replacement for catalog shopping, makes
a wide variety of things available to most people.

But if you look at the practicalities of it, in which there are things that
few people would buy on the Internet, and there are things you want to see
and to buy *now*, the reality is that a strongly dominant retailer who has
knocked off much of the local competition is in a position to decide what
your choices will be. They lose contact with what you may want because they
don't have enough *volume* of competition to measure what it is you *do*
want.

It's a matter of numbers and weighting, not a matter of absolutes.

--
Ed Huntress

Too_Many_Tools January 20th 06 06:56 PM

Walmart

"I'm in the auto parts business, and it happens here also. Once the OE
builds a part to a certain spec, and thousands are in service, a
service
life expectancy is established. If the OE part proves to usually last
beyond the average life of the car, then the decision is made to lower
the spec. No sense overbuilding at additional expense to get an
extended
service life that will, on average, be wasted. "

And the average life of the car would be? The warranty period? LOL

I suspect that I keep my vehicles longer than the "average life" and
the problems that arise are factored into the decision process of what
to buy next.

An example...

Let's say you "value engineer" (I love that phase) a wiring connector
on a vehicle to where it causes intermittents after the car's average
life (warranty period). Based on those problems, I would not buy that
model again and likely not any product from that manufacturer.

In my opinion, it makes alot of sense to overbuild any item to insure
reliability...it assures repeat customers....including this one.

TMT

[email protected] January 20th 06 07:33 PM

Walmart

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Let's say you "value engineer" (I love that phase) a wiring connector
on a vehicle to where it causes intermittents after the car's average
life (warranty period). Based on those problems, I would not buy that
model again and likely not any product from that manufacturer.

If you own the car through it's average service life you aren't the
kind of person the maker wants as a customer anyway. They want you to
replace it every two years - the folks who own the end of lifers don't
have very direct feeback to the manufacturer. Resale value may be an
issue, but it's much less direct feedback than if the car starts
failing in the first 2-4 years.

Dave Hinz January 20th 06 07:38 PM

Walmart

On 20 Jan 2006 11:33:03 -0800, wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Let's say you "value engineer" (I love that phase) a wiring connector
on a vehicle to where it causes intermittents after the car's average
life (warranty period). Based on those problems, I would not buy that
model again and likely not any product from that manufacturer.

If you own the car through it's average service life you aren't the
kind of person the maker wants as a customer anyway.

I was told exactly that by a Chrysler "customer service" rep, when their
asplode-o-matic POS transmission did the usual, 3000 miles out of
warranty.

Problem is, with all the mergers, I'm running out of people to never buy
cars from again, and may have to start the cycle over.

Too_Many_Tools January 20th 06 09:21 PM

Walmart

"If you own the car through it's average service life you aren't the
kind of person the maker wants as a customer anyway. They want you to
replace it every two years - the folks who own the end of lifers don't
have very direct feeback to the manufacturer. Resale value may be an
issue, but it's much less direct feedback than if the car starts
failing in the first 2-4 years. "

Again, what is the average life of a car today?

In regards to not being "the kind of customer" the maker wants, I can
understand that since I know what kind of customer they want....what
they want and what they get is two different things. Note Detroit's
current problems.

Actually I am the type of customer they need since I do strongly
influence fleet purchases and I use my personal experiences to
determine some of those purchases. My earlier example of an electrical
connnector was an example of where a company cost itself millions of
dollars to save a few pennies.

Remember the saying "for a lack of a nail a kingdom was lost"....well
trying to short the customer on reliability always comes back to haunt
the company that does it. The domestic manufacturers will pay for their
well earned reputation for poor reliability for decades no matter how
far they want to cut their prices.

TMT

Rex B January 20th 06 09:37 PM

Walmart

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

I just got off the phone with one of our customers, who owns an auto
repair shop. The gist of the conversation was "If you drive a Chrysler
automobile, you want to get rid of it well before 100K miles"

Rex B January 20th 06 10:18 PM

Walmart

Ignoramus14946 wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:37:09 -0600, Rex B wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

[...]

Did that statement include Dodge pickups?

No. the only problem with the pickups is, unless they have the Cummins
the value goes down quicker than Monica.

Too_Many_Tools January 21st 06 12:26 AM

Walmart

"I just got off the phone with one of our customers, who owns an auto
repair shop. The gist of the conversation was "If you drive a Chrysler
automobile, you want to get rid of it well before 100K miles""

So what does he recommend?

I know of at least a dozen of Chrysler/Plymouth minivans that have 200K
miles on them with no major repairs.

I also had a Plymouth van that went through 5 transmissions by 100K
miles....on Chrysler's dime.

TMT

Martin H. Eastburn January 21st 06 04:07 AM

Walmart

I think the only difference was that Sears was a massive mail order company -
to the ignored fly over region. You could buy a house or chickens.
House in a kit form would be delivered. Chickens by the mailman.

The big help was - there wasn't a store - not for 50 or 100 miles... If it was
then it was for food and general store - maybe a coop.

What I see is multi-generation family businesses have been crushed. This was wrong.
I didn't see a buyout offer - just lots of cheap or volume stuff.

I like the small shops - were people knew their business and products. These big ones
are programmed from afar and sell 'us' what they want to sell - and it likely
is different in different areas - e.g. only 100 of these turkey things - ship them
to Charlie and give him xxx per item to sell over the normal margin.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Ed Huntress wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Bruce L. Bergman January 21st 06 06:45 AM

Walmart

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Let's say you "value engineer" (I love that phase) a wiring connector
on a vehicle to where it causes intermittents after the car's average
life (warranty period). Based on those problems, I would not buy that
model again and likely not any product from that manufacturer.

If you own the car through it's average service life you aren't the
kind of person the maker wants as a customer anyway.

Actually, that IS the kind of reputation Toyota wants. They build
each component to the point where it lasts well past the warranty
period - No Chrysler Mommyvan's with the transmission that grenades
with 70K on it just like clockwork.

There are a lot of their customers out there with that one old car
or truck in the family that "just keeps running, but when it finally
dies I'm buying another Toyota!" That's a reputation that develops
fierce loyalty, and a lot of referral sales to friends and family.

I was told exactly that by a Chrysler "customer service" rep, when their
asplode-o-matic POS transmission did the usual, 3000 miles out of
warranty.

Problem is, with all the mergers, I'm running out of people to never buy
cars from again, and may have to start the cycle over.

I have a 1 ton Dodge RAM 350 for sale, 15 year old, but only 35 k
miles (it was owned by City of Naperville and used by the traffic dept
to paint signs). The only bad thing about it is that the floor under
the driver's feet has rusted through.

Ahem. rec.crafts.METALWORKING - You Are Here.

You can buy replacement stamped floorpan repair sections. Plasma
cut out what's left of the old one, TIG or MIG in the new one, seal
around the edges, and hit it with some Cold Galvanize Primer and
Rustoleum Enamel. Done.

Doesn't have to be pretty, that's what floor mats are for.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

RAM^3 January 21st 06 08:03 AM

Walmart

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
[...]

The same thing has been said about a lot of the "chain" stores.

The "funny" thing is that, in my small town, Wal-Mart really isn't competing
with the existing stores [a lot of the older businesses closed during the
'90s (Wally-World didn't arrive until 2004) when the owners retired/died]
but appears to be coordinating with them: the items stocked are unique to
each store either by brand or size.

Even the prices are in the same ball park.

Sure, many of the products are "entry level"/"bottom end"/"closeout" - which
lets the other places carry the better-quality goods.

My biggest gripe about the people working in Retail is that very, very few
have even a clue as to their products - no matter what they're peddling -
and, generally, are interchangeable with their burger-flipping friends at
the fast-food joints.

Ed Huntress January 21st 06 02:40 PM

Walmart

[...]

Yeah, I think many of us do. We all bemoan the loss of the little hardware
stores that had some of everything, right down to one nut or bolt.

We had one of these in my town until around 1990. It was real old-fashioned,
with a whole floor of warehouse and things that had been stored there for 70
years. They had a sale on farrier's rasps one time when they were doing one
of their futile, periodic housecleanings, no kidding.

I bought 3/8" Cro-Max HSS lathe bits there -- after asking if they had any
lathe bits, and after one of the guys scrounged for 15 minutes in the
warehouse. g When they went broke (after Home Depot moved in) I talked to
the former owner at a social event and told him how much I missed being able
to buy a nut, a couple of springs or a pair of motor brushes. "What was the
big reason you went broke?," I asked. "Because people like you bought one
nut at a time," he replied.

--
Ed Huntress

Roy January 21st 06 04:00 PM

Walmart

Funny you should mention about buying a house form sears......My
grandfather bought a house from them in the 20's or early 30's. It was
delivered to a rail siding in the local town, and he had so many days
to unload it. From what I remember from his telling me about it, it
came complete right down to the door knobs.....

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:40:59 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
[...]

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....

clare at snyder.on.ca January 21st 06 08:19 PM

Walmart

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:25:33 GMT, Ron Thompson
wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

[email protected] January 21st 06 09:16 PM

Walmart

clare wrote:

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

And who was that manufacturer?

Dan

clare at snyder.on.ca January 21st 06 11:19 PM

Walmart

On 21 Jan 2006 13:16:11 -0800, "
wrote:

clare wrote:

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

And who was that manufacturer?

Dan

I'm trying to remember, but they were a supplier of a client, who now
needs to get their supply elsewhere because the supplier went bankrupt
paying for the equipment without the promised large market.

Larry Jaques January 22nd 06 12:38 AM

Walmart

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:19:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder.on.ca quickly quoth:

wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

They could just as easily have said "NO" to Walmart if that were the
case. Retailers have a CHOICE and are not forced into doing business
with anyone they don't like, y'know. Instead, the greedy *******s
thought they could make a killing with such large sale numbers. Why
are you seeing Walmart as the solo bad guy here, folks?

War is hell, business is worse. Live with it.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming

Martin H. Eastburn January 22nd 06 03:37 AM

Walmart

Yep - Railway express office handled lots of them - in big trucks.
Depended where the house was going.
It was neat for kids on farms - learning in school and in life -
order a dozen of 8 or so 'types' of chickens - and see how they react
to the local life and then cross breed...
Postman delivered them.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wrote:

.. .

Richard Lamb January 22nd 06 05:00 AM

Walmart

Ignoramus29068 wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:19:27 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca clare wrote:

On 21 Jan 2006 13:16:11 -0800, "
wrote:

clare wrote:

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

And who was that manufacturer?

Dan

I'm trying to remember, but they were a supplier of a client, who now
needs to get their supply elsewhere because the supplier went bankrupt
paying for the equipment without the promised large market.

This (getting suppliers commit to large capital investments and then
dumping them or demanding unrealistic prices) is part of routine
Walmart's business practices.

Worked for Micro-soft.

Larry Jaques January 22nd 06 01:25 PM

Walmart

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:50:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus29068 quickly quoth:

This (getting suppliers commit to large capital investments and then
dumping them or demanding unrealistic prices) is part of routine
Walmart's business practices.

Cites, please?

clare at snyder.on.ca January 22nd 06 08:15 PM

Walmart

wrote:

clare wrote:

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

And who was that manufacturer?

Dan

I'm trying to remember, but they were a supplier of a client, who now
needs to get their supply elsewhere because the supplier went bankrupt
paying for the equipment without the promised large market.

This (getting suppliers commit to large capital investments and then
dumping them or demanding unrealistic prices) is part of routine
Walmart's business practices.

Worked for Micro-soft.

Except Microsoft then bought out the failed supplier in the vast
majority of cases.

Rex B January 23rd 06 04:18 PM

Walmart

wrote:

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Wal-mart is a retailer, not a
manufacturer. They sell what people buy. If no one buys it, it will be gone from
the inventory.

They are more than a retailer. They bully manufacturers into lowering
their prices - or like one manufacturer, buy millions of dollars of
new equipment in order to be able to meet Walmart's price point. Then,
the next year Walmart wanted another 10%, and went to an offshore
manufacturer when they COULD NOT supply at that price.

Which is why many good manufacturers decline Wal-Mart's business.

In my market, something similar has been happening with Auto Zone. 2
years ago they announced "Pay On Scan". Anyone selling to Zone should be
prepared to ship them merchandise. Zone would pay for it when it sold at
retail. So basically, they wanted free inventory in exchange for the
privilege of being their supplier.
A few big companies could afford to do this, and some startups were
willing to gamble to get some business. But I just heard that Zone is
now retreating. Between supplier resistance and IT tracking issues, POS
is to be abandoned.

Too_Many_Tools January 23rd 06 06:09 PM

Walmart

"Which is why many good manufacturers decline Wal-Mart's business.

In my market, something similar has been happening with Auto Zone. 2
years ago they announced "Pay On Scan". Anyone selling to Zone should
be
prepared to ship them merchandise. Zone would pay for it when it sold
at
retail. So basically, they wanted free inventory in exchange for the
privilege of being their supplier.
A few big companies could afford to do this, and some startups were
willing to gamble to get some business. But I just heard that Zone is
now retreating. Between supplier resistance and IT tracking issues, POS

is to be abandoned. "

Ever heard of "Just In Time" manufacturing?

The manufacturer wants the supplier to deliver the goods "just in time"
to have it installed...big deal in Japan.

It works when you do the same thing day in and day out and know exactly
what you need.

It doesn't work in retail...where that darn fickle customer won't play
along and buy the same thing every time.

Nobody ever wants to hold inventory...but again there is no free
lunch...someone has to. What we are seeing is a BIG company trying to
have it all...and of course it will only work for awhile. You have to
let your suppliers make a profit or otherwise it makes no sense for
them to do business with you. When they figure out that dealing with
you is a losing proposition, you lose the game. That is one reason why
Walmart is now losing market share while others are gaining....what
works to get you to the top of the heap many times won't work to keep
you on top.

Remember that a company will only do something if they think it will
make them money...and the CEO a bigger bonus. They could care less if
you live or die as long as you or your estate keeps spending money.

TMT

Clif Holland January 24th 06 12:53 AM

Walmart

wrote:

[...]

My biggest problem with that is the stuff that walks out the door without
being scanned. Guess who gets to eat the shoplifting and employee theft
losses. It's not Auto Zone.

--

Clif

J. Clarke February 18th 06 03:11 PM

Walmart

Roy wrote:

Funny you should mention about buying a house form sears......My
grandfather bought a house from them in the 20's or early 30's. It was
delivered to a rail siding in the local town, and he had so many days
to unload it. From what I remember from his telling me about it, it
came complete right down to the door knobs.....

FWIW, I grew up in a Sears Roebuck kit house. My Dad didn't build it
though, bought it from the estate of the late sheriff, so I don't really
know what it was like when it arrived. Structurally it was in some ways
far better than modern houses--heavy timbers, all heart yellow pine, etc.
Asbestos-cement shingles--last forever and scare away liberals--real
win-win on those things g. On the other hand it wasn't very tight--we
put down some sheet vinyl one time and the first time a high wind came up
it blew right off the floor--there's something to be said for plywood in
that regard. Interior doors weren't very sturdy for the most part--one
weird one was French doors with one door closing a closet. Had a _huge_
two-level cedar closet in the master bedroom. Oh, and 12 foot ceilings--I
had a friend in high school who was a giant--literally--kid was
proportioned like a powerlifter and stood over 7 feet tall (most laid-back
guy you'd ever care to meet, but _nobody_ tried to mess with him) who loved
to come over because the ceilings didn't crowd him.

Wish I had kept some of the old Sears catalogs--for a kid they were
fascinating--kind of like surfing the web but different. Used to be able
to order a kit to build a Bensen Gyrocopter I remember. Always lusted
after one of those things when I was little.

wrote:
[...]

to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

~Roy~ February 18th 06 07:15 PM

Walmart

I put many many miles on a Toy as does the wife and they all are
trouble free, much more troubkle free than any american made product I
have bought in the last 4 or 5 years. We have a beater with over
300,000 miles on the engine and it still does not use oil.and runs
like a champ. I bought a 97 3/4 ton GMC pickup and it sucke dup water
from the git go, and was in and out of the shop everytime I turned
around for water leaks, and eventually erodded bearings..........same
with the Merc Grand Marque we had and the Merc Sable before
that.....water leaks and all kinds of electrical problems. Toy's
rock..american Iron is just not what it used to be. Right now the
wifes car a 98 Camry has over 150,000 trouble free miles on it. My
97 Camry has over 190,000 trouble free miles, and my Tundra is over
90,000 miles all trouble free. Pity that my 97 GMC was traded in with
less than 30,000 miles and plaagued with problems.

wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 19:38:21 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 11:33:03 -0800,
wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Let's say you "value engineer" (I love that phase) a wiring connector
on a vehicle to where it causes intermittents after the car's average
life (warranty period). Based on those problems, I would not buy that
model again and likely not any product from that manufacturer.

If you own the car through it's average service life you aren't the
kind of person the maker wants as a customer anyway.

Actually, that IS the kind of reputation Toyota wants. They build
each component to the point where it lasts well past the warranty
period - No Chrysler Mommyvan's with the transmission that grenades
with 70K on it just like clockwork.

ROF,L. I got a Toyota once. It only needed one scheduled maintenance
item--every 10,000 miles you replaced the engine. First time the (Toyota
OEM) oil filter blew up and it wiped the bearings before I could get it
stopped. Second time it threw a rod driving down the road at 35 mph.
Third time I didn't even look, just donated the remains to the local high
school shop and got an ironblock Chevy that never gave me any grief at all.

Never gonna sucker _me_ with that "Toyotas are reliable" crap again.

There are a lot of their customers out there with that one old car
or truck in the family that "just keeps running, but when it finally
dies I'm buying another Toyota!" That's a reputation that develops
fierce loyalty, and a lot of referral sales to friends and family.

After that experience my uncle ditched his and got a Lincoln. Nobody I know
has any desire to own a Toyota.

J. Clarke February 18th 06 09:17 PM

Walmart

~Roy~ wrote:

[...]

Well lucky you. Personally I don't see water leaks as being all that much
of a problem compared to throwing rods through the side of the block but
that's just me.

Toys are just that, toys.

clare at snyder.on.ca February 18th 06 09:48 PM

Walmart

wrote:

ROF,L. I got a Toyota once. It only needed one scheduled maintenance
item--every 10,000 miles you replaced the engine. First time the (Toyota
OEM) oil filter blew up and it wiped the bearings before I could get it
stopped. Second time it threw a rod driving down the road at 35 mph.
Third time I didn't even look, just donated the remains to the local high
school shop and got an ironblock Chevy that never gave me any grief at all.

Never gonna sucker _me_ with that "Toyotas are reliable" crap again.

Year and model please? Which engine?
Never saw a Toyota OEM filter blow up - but I have seen mechanics and
DIYers leave the gasket from the old filter on and put on a new
filter. Guaranteed to let go -(even on a Ford or GM).
The second and third failures were in all likelihood due to improper
repairs from the first one. Can't blame Toyota for that!!

J. Clarke February 18th 06 10:21 PM

Walmart

wrote:

ROF,L. I got a Toyota once. It only needed one scheduled maintenance
item--every 10,000 miles you replaced the engine. First time the (Toyota
OEM) oil filter blew up and it wiped the bearings before I could get it
stopped. Second time it threw a rod driving down the road at 35 mph.
Third time I didn't even look, just donated the remains to the local high
school shop and got an ironblock Chevy that never gave me any grief at
all.

Never gonna sucker _me_ with that "Toyotas are reliable" crap again.

Year and model please? Which engine?

'83 Supra, only engine it came with.

Never saw a Toyota OEM filter blow up - but I have seen mechanics and
DIYers leave the gasket from the old filter on and put on a new
filter.

Filter was split wide open. Gasket was fine.

Did the double-gasket thing on a Volvo once when I was 19--when I realized
what had happened I pulled the filter, pulled the excess gasket, put the
filter back it back, drove to the nearest gas station, topped up the oil,
80,000 miles later when I sold it it was still running fine.

Guaranteed to let go -(even on a Ford or GM).
The second and third failures were in all likelihood due to improper
repairs from the first one. Can't blame Toyota for that!!

When a Toyota-provided short block throws a rod it's kind of hard to blame
anybody but Toyota for it.

[...]

*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

~Roy~ February 19th 06 02:47 AM

Walmart

No luck about it. Toyota is a quality made vehicle. When you say water
leaks are inmaterial, well in your opinion perhaps, but when its
numerous times and its eroding internals like the bearins etc due to
coolant and oils getting mixed and the bearings eroded, it matter not
if an engine throws a rod or screws up a crank and lots of other stuff
in the process...due to plastic manifolds and water leaks..........

J. Clarke February 19th 06 08:00 AM

Walmart

~Roy~ wrote:

No luck about it. Toyota is a quality made vehicle.

Yup, that it is. LOW quality.

When you say water
leaks are inmaterial, well in your opinion perhaps, but when its
numerous times and its eroding internals like the bearins etc due to
coolant and oils getting mixed and the bearings eroded, it matter not
if an engine throws a rod or screws up a crank and lots of other stuff
in the process...due to plastic manifolds and water leaks..........

A water leak doesn't leave you stranded by the side of the road at 2 AM in a
blizzard. At least not unless you're a real idiot.

Bruce L. Bergman February 19th 06 04:03 PM

Walmart

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 03:00:34 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:
~Roy~ wrote:

No luck about it. Toyota is a quality made vehicle.

Yup, that it is. LOW quality.

When you say water
leaks are inmaterial, well in your opinion perhaps, but when its
numerous times and its eroding internals like the bearins etc due to
coolant and oils getting mixed and the bearings eroded, it matter not
if an engine throws a rod or screws up a crank and lots of other stuff
in the process...due to plastic manifolds and water leaks..........

A water leak doesn't leave you stranded by the side of the road at 2 AM in a
blizzard. At least not unless you're a real idiot.

Let's see, now we're getting an actual fact - 2 AM in a blizzard...
You didn't happen to be stuck in the snow at the time and zinged the
engine trying to get unstuck, did you? And then you put in a new
engine, did it again, and didn't make the connection?

Next time try a snow shovel first, so you can get a running start.

Taking /ANY/ 6K RPM Redline engine up to 10K or 12K will tend to
throw rods through the block - be it Toyota or Chevy. Having your
foot to the floor with the engine in gear and shifting into neutral to
rock the car, the overspeed fuel cut in the EFI can't react that fast.

Either that, or you're a UAW Troll. (Buy American!) Yeah, and
watch it depreciate twice as fast...

~Roy~ February 19th 06 04:27 PM

Walmart

Could not say it better myself Bruce.......