Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default General drill sharener rig and distance to grinding wheel?

I have a gerneral drill bit sharpener, i think ive got everything
figured out except the distance
to the grinding wheel, one setup shows a sliding table to adjust for
different diameter bits. This
is the part of the setup i dont understand (and seems to be the most
difficult). Why do you
need to set the distance from grinding wheel different for different
diameter bits?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

I am not sure but I think it is actually the flute twist and the diameter
which requires this. The bit is located in rotation by the stop against the
flute. The distance from there to the wheel has to be correct so that the
cutting edge is vertical. Put a large bit in the holder, twist so the flute
stays against the stop, and adjust lengthwise so the cutting edge is
parallel to the swivel pin. That is basically where the bit needs to be in
the holder. Then the holder base has to be adjusted so the cutting edge just
contacts the wheel. I may be all wet but that's the way I see it right now.

Don Young
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a gerneral drill bit sharpener, i think ive got everything
figured out except the distance
to the grinding wheel, one setup shows a sliding table to adjust for
different diameter bits. This
is the part of the setup i dont understand (and seems to be the most
difficult). Why do you
need to set the distance from grinding wheel different for different
diameter bits?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend

difficult). Why do you
need to set the distance from grinding wheel different for different
diameter bits?

IIRC, the more you back the unit away, the lower your relief angle is on the
cutting edge. Larger drills have the cutting edge farther from the center of
rotation so you get too much relief if you don't move the unit backward. Its
only a few thousanths difference for every 1/64 larger drill.

Karl