Eric R Snow

Default I DID IT! CNC RETROFIT (long)

I finally got the old CNC running with a new control. Maybe some of
you have seen AJAX advertised in HSM. Well, it turns out these are the
same folks who make Centroid controls. You can do a basic retro-fit
for less than $3000.00. I used the old servo motors and encoders as
they were good and the power xmfr because it was the correct voltage
for the servos. I was told, by someone who did it, that it would take
about 40 hours to do the install and this is about right. It took me
about twice as long but I'm slow (really). If you need a complete
schematic this is not for you. But, if you know a little electronics,
electricity, and basic safety interlocks then this is a good way to
go. For the most part all my questions were answered. This happens
mostly through e-mail. There were a couple times I know they thought I
was daft but it turns out that some things were mis-labeled and that
the manual deals with a "jog pendant" that they sell. It can also be
run from a keyboard and that's what I'm doing to save $615.00. But it
runs a little different than the manual says. There are also some
ambiguities in the manual. I bought a keyboard emulator for $50.00
including shipping and after I find a suitable keypad will make my own
dedicated panel/pendant. The main thing is to make sure that you
understand things like how to wire a contactor so that a motor can't
be switched forward and reverse at the same time. Or how to use relays
to control high voltages so they stay in the cabinet and none of your
buttons are connected to deadly voltages or currents, A good source of
buttons for the e-stop etc is Automation Direct. They have the best
prices, are really helpful, and ship on time. Ebay is another place to
look for contactors and related stuff if your old stuff is bad. The
next thing I'm gonna buy is one of those variable frequency drives so
I don't have to change rpm by turning a handle. Thanks to help from
DoN here and another fellow from the basic electronics group I was
able to wire up the nine windings in the fanuc xmfr without blowing
fuses or letting out any magic smoke. If anyone here wants to do a
machine with a fanuc or any other control I'd be glad to help. That
about covers it. Ask any questions you like. Typing hurts my hands so
don't expect long answers like this via e-mail. Best thing for me is a
phone call. I pay 2.9 cents a minute so don't mind placing a call.
Anyway, my hands are really bugging me now and I keep striking the
wrong keys so that's the end.
Cheers,
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine
Marty Escarcega

Great Job Eric. How about some pictures of the machine and the control
posted to the RCM Drop Box?
Marty

Eric R Snow wrote in
:

[...]

Errol Groff

Second the request for pictures! Our B'port R2E3 w/BOSS 8 control is
getting more ane more flakey by the day and a retrofit may be in our
near future.

Concerning your typing difficulty, have you considered one of the
voice recognition packages? I tried one about six years ago, IBM Via
Voice IIRC, and was not too impressed but probably great strides have
been made in the meantime.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:42:54 -0800, Eric R Snow
wrote:

[...]

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 01:04:37 GMT, Marty Escarcega
wrote:

Great Job Eric. How about some pictures of the machine and the control
posted to the RCM Drop Box?
Marty

I'll try to post some this week. It's too bad that I didn't take a
before picture. But it just show an empty cabinet anyway.
ERS
steamer

--More details! Photos, too, please! I'm getting ready to retrofit
a cnc mill (manufacturer is going belly-up) and the cheapest good pkg I've
seen is in the 5-figures range...

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "The Faceless Conglomerate
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : you can trust...

Coving long lengths? David Cawkwell UK diy 4 February 28th 04 03:28 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
Long post about boilers and stuff - with too many questions....! Simon Hawthorne UK diy 11 January 4th 04 10:06 AM
Myford Super 7 spindle retrofit? jim rozen Metalworking 1 September 23rd 03 05:17 AM