Jim Stewart

Default U-Haul Trailers and Ford Explorers Don't Mix

Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

jim rozen

In article , Jim Stewart says...

Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

This may have more to do with the average exploder
driver, than the vehicle itself....

Jim

please reply to:

Jimbo

I doubt most fashionable SUV owners every expect to do anything anymore
strenuous than drive the kids to school or the country club. Apparently
tow truck drivers and insurance adjusters will attest to the fact that the
first ones to end up in the ditch after a snow storm are the high end SUV's.

Jimbo

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Jim Stewart says...

Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

This may have more to do with the average exploder
driver, than the vehicle itself....

Jim

please reply to:

Jim Stewart

hamrdog wrote:
i saw that story on their news last night, and they had a follow-up
tonight. i can't believe WNEP scooped the entire country on this
story. i'm guessing you live in their broadcast area? i'm originally
from up that way, but i'm closer to Allentown, PA now.

Nope. http://www.****edcompany.com mentioned it and it
took a bit of googling to find the actual article.

The owner of the site has a giant attitude towards
Ford.

andy b.

wrote:

Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

Peter T. Keillor III

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:03:56 -0500, "Jimbo" .
wrote:

I doubt most fashionable SUV owners every expect to do anything anymore
strenuous than drive the kids to school or the country club. Apparently
tow truck drivers and insurance adjusters will attest to the fact that the
first ones to end up in the ditch after a snow storm are the high end SUV's.

Jimbo

snip

Driving a 4WD Suburban is a piece of cake compared to a CJ-5. I put
150,000 miles on a CJ. It had a 304 V8, Rough Country suspension, and
Armstrong TruTraks. I loved that thing, but they rust like crazy and
handle a little squirrely (quick steering with a slight delay while
the suspension winds up). 4WD's do great in snow if you keep the
speed down. Of course, they don't stop any better than anything else.

On the other hand, I find the wife's Expedition twitchy. Not much
directional stability for such a large vehicle. I think it's a Ford
thing. My brother-in-law bought one of the F150's a few years ago,
drove it from Austin to Danbury, Texas, and took it back the next day.
He said it wore him out. He likes the old ones you have to herd. His
other vehicles include a 60's Daimler-Benz sedan, restored
Austin-Healy 2000, various restored BSA's, including an old single
cylinder racer he had restored somewhere in Wales, and some kind of
Japanese crotch rocket (they live in London).

Pete Keillor
Peter Grey

When I tried to buy a tire size that was larger than stock for our '91
Explorer from Tire Rack and couple of months ago, I was told they wouldn't
sell it too me.

People are still freaked about the Explorer roll over scare from years ago
and apparently Tire Rack's legal folks warned them not to court liability
disaster.

Peter
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

Sven

It was an inept driver behind the wheel of an Explorer that took out my
mailbox on her way sideways over my driveway ending up in the jackpines in
the ditch a couple days ago. At least this time they called me and offered
to pay for damages. Second time in a year! 60 on a gravel road covered with
ice ain't nothin for a SUV.(or so they think)

wrote:

Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

Carl Byrns

wrote:

I doubt most fashionable SUV owners every expect to do anything anymore
strenuous than drive the kids to school or the country club. Apparently
tow truck drivers and insurance adjusters will attest to the fact that the
first ones to end up in the ditch after a snow storm are the high end SUV's.

Jimbo

snip

Driving a 4WD Suburban is a piece of cake compared to a CJ-5.

We've got two 'burbans at work- both 4X4s. One has 180,000 miles on it
and the other 250,000 miles. The high-mileage one has a snowplow and
pushes snow like crazy, but is lousy for backing into traffic.

On the other hand, I find the wife's Expedition twitchy. Not much
directional stability for such a large vehicle. I think it's a Ford
thing. My brother-in-law bought one of the F150's a few years ago,
drove it from Austin to Danbury, Texas, and took it back the next day.
He said it wore him out. He likes the old ones you have to herd.

Hmmm- My 1996 F-150 goes down the road like an arrow. Maybe the dealer
forgot to lower the tire pressure- when I had bought new rubber for
mine, the tire guy forgot to lower the pressure after mounting the
tires (had them at 50 psi to seat the beads). At those pressures, the
truck was a little squirrely.

-Carl
Larry Jaques

On 8 Jan 2004 05:22:18 -0800, jim rozen
brought forth from the murky depths:

In article , Jim Stewart says...

Be advised that U-Haul will no longer rent a trailer
to be towed behind a Ford Explorer.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=1591600

This may have more to do with the average exploder
driver, than the vehicle itself....

"Beware the Soccer Mom towing a trailer?"
Ayup, prolly so.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Harold Burton

wrote:

Hmmm- My 1996 F-150 goes down the road like an arrow. Maybe the dealer
forgot to lower the tire pressure- when I had bought new rubber for
mine, the tire guy forgot to lower the pressure after mounting the
tires (had them at 50 psi to seat the beads). At those pressures, the
truck was a little squirrely.

The dealer tendency is in the other direction, when I first got my
GMC 2500HD (2001) the tires had 40 PSI in'em and the truck felt like a Caddy
roadwise. The door label called for 50PSI in front and 80PSI in the rear. It
feels a bit trucky with those pressures so when I'm not towing or hauling I
reduce rear tires to 55-60PSI and it's quite comfortable. With the
recommended pressures the truck can carry 4006 lbs including fuel and
passengers. Allowing for a full tank and me and the Missus in the cab will
still allow a 3400 pound load. Not bad for a 3/4 ton struck.

Harold

Jim Stewart

Harold Burton wrote:
Allowing for a full tank and me and the Missus in the cab will
still allow a 3400 pound load. Not bad for a 3/4 ton struck.

So maybe you can tell me something. Why is it
called a 3/4 truck in the first place. I had
always assumed it was the load rating.

Gary Coffman

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:10:07 -0800, Jim Stewart wrote:
Harold Burton wrote:
Allowing for a full tank and me and the Missus in the cab will
still allow a 3400 pound load. Not bad for a 3/4 ton struck.

So maybe you can tell me something. Why is it
called a 3/4 truck in the first place. I had
always assumed it was the load rating.

Once upon a time it was (1920s). But in the fine tradition of
the American auto industry, vehicles have a way of becoming
bigger, more powerful, and more expensive model year by
model year.

In the 1920s, a half ton pickup really was loaded by half a ton,
a 3/4 ton by 3/4 ton, a 2 ton by 2 tons, etc, but today's "half ton"
pickup can easily carry more than a ton, a 3/4 ton can carry a ton
and a half, and a 2 ton can carry about 10 tons. The old labels
really just hung on because the *size* of the trucks remained
about the same.

The physical size of a domestic "half ton" pickup hasn't changed
all that much since the 1920s (it has grown some), but *much*
better tires, suspensions, and engines have allowed it to carry
much more weight.

This confused the Japanese when they first tried to enter our
market. They built "half ton" pickups for our market that could
really only carry half a ton, and the mini-pickup was born. They
lucked out, and that became a popular category, but it isn't at
all what we mean domestically when we refer to a half ton truck.

Gary
jim rozen

In article , Gary Coffman says...

This confused the Japanese when they first tried to enter our
market. They built "half ton" pickups for our market that could
really only carry half a ton, and the mini-pickup was born. They
lucked out, and that became a popular category, but it isn't at
all what we mean domestically when we refer to a half ton truck.

One story I recall is that the auto execs did not understand
about plywood. That is, they did not grasp the notion that
a US homeowner would want to go to a store, and purchase a
4 X 8 sheet of plywood, or sheet rock, and carry it home in
the truck.

So they actually purchased some plywood, and shipped it to
japan. And said "*this* is what has to fit inside the bed
of the truck."

JIm

please reply to: