Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default on line scans of out of copyright machining books

Are there any good links, bittorents, ect for scans of machining books
that are out of copyright?

Thanks,

Wes S

--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Thompson

Are there any good links, bittorents, ect for scans of machining books
that are out of copyright?

Thanks,

Wes S

Yes! Large downloads, though. This is one of 2 volumes by Joshua Rose. They have
both.
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/collections/index.cfm?TitleID=274
The same site also has The Advanced Machinist by William Rogers.

If you can't download these, I offer them to newsgroup readers for $5.00, and I
pay the postage.

These books are great for the beginner, but remember they are from the turn of
the last century. While a lot of things are basic, there will be no mention of
modern things like carbide tools.
Good luck!

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ron Thompson wrote:

Are there any good links, bittorents, ect for scans of machining books
that are out of copyright?

Thanks,

Wes S

Yes! Large downloads, though. This is one of 2 volumes by Joshua Rose. They have
both.
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/collections/index.cfm?TitleID=274
The same site also has The Advanced Machinist by William Rogers.

Ron,I thank you very much for pointing me to this treasure trove.

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/collectio...ollectionID=10 is
the link that points to all three books.

Wes S
--
Reply to:
Whiskey Echo Sierra Sierra AT Alpha Charlie Echo Golf Romeo Oscar Paul dot Charlie Charlie
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent Philion wrote:

Gotta smile at the use of the word "Modern" on a 120 year old book

I got a chuckle out of it also.

WEs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

"Modern" is in the name of the book, of course, - even if it was 120 years
ago. Same as with 'Advanced' Machinist from back in the 20's.

Hi Ron,

Where 'ya been? Haven't seen you lately on RCM. Do you mean you have Joshua
Rose, Vol 1 and 2, on CD for $5.00??
Hey, print one out for me and I'll pay you $10.00 ! Just kidding.

Bob Swinney
wrote in message ...
Brent Philion wrote:

Gotta smile at the use of the word "Modern" on a 120 year old book

I got a chuckle out of it also.

WEs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Thompson

Hi Ron,

Where 'ya been? Haven't seen you lately on RCM. Do you mean you have Joshua
Rose, Vol 1 and 2, on CD for $5.00??
Hey, print one out for me and I'll pay you $10.00 ! Just kidding.

Bob Swinney

Been busy, but I look in from time to time.
Even better, it also includes "The Advanced Machinist" by William Rogers and "A
Catechism of the Steam Engine" by John Bourne, C.E.
See Ya!

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Ron Thompson wrote:

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

May I quote that, sir?

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I have one - 1889 - "A Textbook on Mechanical and Electrical Engineering"
(International Correspondence Schools) - Transmission, Railways, Lighting
Dynamo-Electric Machine Design, Motor Design (last two DC),
Theory of Alternating-current Apparatus, Design of Alternating-Current Apparatus
with practical Questions and Examples.

I like the ME and EE in one book - and "Theory of AC apparatus"!
Has some neat pictures.

I don't know - but I suspect this book or others were shipped world wide to Engineers
who in those days were building things world wide. Tunnels, Railways.....
Who were in training and up-grading. Getting new tech.
The Engineers Engineer!

I did some of that - correspondence - with Purdue and with U. of Indiana -
post school - due the advancement of the IC - both logic and memory.
I finally worked in Bipolar, GaAs, CMOS, SiGe of designs I did and what others
wanted. Got only 1 patent, but many a notice and lots of sales.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member