Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

Default What "rouring feight" is?

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

I think it is to keep the chain paying smoothly over the chain
drive sprocket and not jumping the notches and binding up inside the
housing. This would be for when the hook is being lowered without any
weight on it. "feight" seems to be a misspelling of "weight", I'm
not too clear on "rouring". Could that be "pouring"?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 22:09:34 -0600, the renowned Jon Elson
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

I think it is to keep the chain paying smoothly over the chain
drive sprocket and not jumping the notches and binding up inside the
housing. This would be for when the hook is being lowered without any
weight on it. "feight" seems to be a misspelling of "weight", I'm
not too clear on "rouring". Could that be "pouring"?

Jon

I was guessing maybe "lowering" given the typical Asian 'l'/'r'
confusion, but that doesn't fit all that well either.

It's not a chain, BTW, it's 9/64" "aircraft" cable wound around a
drum, as on a winch, but they make a point in the instructions that it
should wind evenly on the drum and not cross over, so your point is
valid.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:28:31 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Spehro Pefhany quickly quoth:

wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...4999/44006.PDF
RTFM, Spehro. It shows #10 in the item list as "rouring feight" but
the picture shows what we would call the "lowering weight", clear as
a (cast iron) bell. 'Tis indeed a Chinglish typo.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

We have a $100,000 JEOL electron microprobe (scanning electron
microscope with X-ray analyzer) at Washington University. It was
ordered with the English instrument panel labels. They got almost
EVERY "L" and "R" switched on the thing! Stuff like "Poraloid Camera"
(Yeah, I know the Japanese seem to have got "camera" down by now.
That may be the ONLY correct one on the thing.) Lots of Holizontal's
on it, too.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I was guessing maybe "lowering" given the typical Asian 'l'/'r'
confusion, but that doesn't fit all that well either.

It's not a chain, BTW, it's 9/64" "aircraft" cable wound around a
drum, as on a winch, but they make a point in the instructions that it
should wind evenly on the drum and not cross over, so your point is
valid.

Ahh, it is to keep the cable taut, so it doesn't "bird's nest" on the
drum. Crossing over and random lapping of the turns puts a lot of
stress on the individual strands of the cable. At light load it
isn't a big deal, but near rated load it can lead to early failure of
the cable.

They also put odd little weights on high tension power lines, near
the insulators. These damp out wind-induced vibrations of the wires,
preventing fatigue right at the insulator clamps.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 00:07:20 -0600, the renowned Jon Elson
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I was guessing maybe "lowering" given the typical Asian 'l'/'r'
confusion, but that doesn't fit all that well either.

It's not a chain, BTW, it's 9/64" "aircraft" cable wound around a
drum, as on a winch, but they make a point in the instructions that it
should wind evenly on the drum and not cross over, so your point is
valid.

Ahh, it is to keep the cable taut, so it doesn't "bird's nest" on the
drum. Crossing over and random lapping of the turns puts a lot of
stress on the individual strands of the cable. At light load it
isn't a big deal, but near rated load it can lead to early failure of
the cable.

So it doesn't sproing around and cross over as you're lowering the
hook to attach it? That would explain why it's not a "laising feight".

They also put odd little weights on high tension power lines, near
the insulators. These damp out wind-induced vibrations of the wires,
preventing fatigue right at the insulator clamps.

Jon

Hmm... my old (~1948) engineering handbook has an entry referring to
"Stockbridge dampers".

http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/p...connect/TD.pdf
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/p...s/TB-107R2.pdf

Speaking of common objects with lesser-known names, here's how to tell
if you have a classic Jersey barrier on your road or something more
like an Ontario tall wall barrier or GM barrier:

http://www.tfhrc.gov/pubrds/marapr00/concrete.htm

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
news
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight". What the heck is that supposed to be in good old
English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

I think it is to keep the chain paying smoothly over the chain
drive sprocket and not jumping the notches and binding up inside the
housing. This would be for when the hook is being lowered without any
weight on it. "feight" seems to be a misspelling of "weight", I'm
not too clear on "rouring". Could that be "pouring"?

Jon

Cranes seem to often have large ball weights next to the hook. I assume it
is to keep the cable in enough tension for proper winding and unwinding when
unloaded. I have no idea on "rouring".

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Enoch Root

Jon Elson wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

"rouring feight".
What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

I think it is to keep the chain paying smoothly over the chain
drive sprocket and not jumping the notches and binding up inside the
housing. This would be for when the hook is being lowered without any
weight on it. "feight" seems to be a misspelling of "weight", I'm
not too clear on "rouring". Could that be "pouring"?

In that case, my guess is "routing weight".

er
--
email not valid
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Mild topic drift

HEHEHEH

reminds me of the japanese instrutions ont he Yamaha DX-7 Music keyboard
(FYI its the keyboard with the dubious distinction of being used in the
most bad 80's pop tunes of all)

It used frequency modulation to create its sounds and comodulation
(Using one modulated signal to control another was described by the term
"Tickle"

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Lowering weight perhaps? There to insure that the stiff steel cable
actually lowers when you don't have a load attached?

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The weight actuates the power shutoff as the cable is wound all the way
onto the reel. Don't know about the terminology.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 04:41:01 GMT, the renowned Gary Brady
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The weight actuates the power shutoff as the cable is wound all the way
onto the reel. Don't know about the terminology.

Ah, that's what that (farily poorly welded) bail is for. Thanks!

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:06:44 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Maybe a plobrem with plinting quarity?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Don Foreman" wrote: Maybe a plobrem with plinting quarity?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Raughing out roud.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

Grant Erwin wrote:

Tom wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Reaving weight?

Tom

Rolling weight?

Check out reaving weight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:43:54 +1300, the renowned Tom
wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

Tom wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Reaving weight?

Tom

Rolling weight?

Check out reaving weight.

http://www.cancocranes.com/images/ca..._selection.pdf

Seems to also be spelled "reeving". It's possible that's it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn Ashmore

Reeving is the routing of a rope or cable through sheaves and drums. A
"single reeve" would come straight off the drum. A "double reeve" would pass
through a pulley and return.

Looks like "lowering weight" is the best interpretation. Probably the
author had no idea what to call it so just chose" lowering weight" and
translated it into Chinglish.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

Tom wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Reaving weight?

Tom

Rolling weight?

Check out reaving weight.

http://www.cancocranes.com/images/ca..._selection.pdf

Seems to also be spelled "reeving". It's possible that's it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Wel it does say something about harbor freight quality control unfortunately

If i saw instructions come through in as you put it Chinglish it would
tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the manufacturer didnt care
enough to write out proper instructons.

And IMO worse the importer didnt care enough to check the product they
sold and stand by it. Or send it right back on the crate it came from

So it sounds like you bought a hoist with a broken "Give a ****"

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:08:24 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

Wel it does say something about harbor freight quality control unfortunately

If i saw instructions come through in as you put it Chinglish it would
tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the manufacturer didnt care
enough to write out proper instructons.

And IMO worse the importer didnt care enough to check the product they
sold and stand by it. Or send it right back on the crate it came from

So it sounds like you bought a hoist with a broken "Give a ****"

Pick yer pony, take yer ride. HF stuff is cheap, sometimes 1/5 the
price of " good stuff". It's unrealistic to expect quality beyond
basic function at their prices, and they'll cheerfully take back or
exchange stuff that flat doesn't work. That's their quarity control.
Their stuff sometimes works surprisingly well for occasional use,
should be regarded as disposable consumables rather than tool
investments. Repair parts? Not broody rikery.

I just bought an HF air stapler for $19.99. It shoots 1/2" crown
staples -- and it does shoot them! Flat buries a 3/8" staple in red
oak. I probably won't shoot two boxes of staples thru it during
its or my lifetime. But it'll do the job for making the annual
batch of rabbit guards with chickenwire and 1x2 stakes for milady's
200 feet of flower garden.

With Arrow "power shot" manual stapler that cost almost as much:
ka-chunk (hmm) ka-chunk (****) ka-chunk(F**K!) kachunk kachunk
kachunk (gimme the goddamned hammer...)

With HF Chinese air stapler: WHAM (ahhh!) That'll work, and
that's about all I want to spend on tooling for making rabbit
guards.

"Is not checking stapler by pressing against forehead. May damage
to stapler."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

[...]

Well, the last few HF hand power tools I've bought with universal motors
in them came with a spare pair of motor brushes. I don't recall ever
getting stuff like that with US made tools.

Plus, any hobbyist worth squatting on this newsgroup darn well ought to
be able to cobble a fix for most of what might break on that imported
stuff, and maybe get a smug feeling of accomplishing something he/she
knows 9 out of 10 other guys on the bus couldn't do themselves in a
month of Sundays.

Not broody rikery.

Agreed, it's likely just some plick of a bean counter in China who won't
spring for hiring an expatriot american techie to do the translation.

Something I've heard a couple of times recently is that, because of the
huge population differences between China and the USA, there are now
more people in China who speak english than there are in America.
Probably not the quality of english we're used to, but....

Political correctness prevents me from remarking about the increasing
percentage of non-english speaking residents in the USA, but that may
also have something to do with what I heard.

For some insane reason, whenever I hear someone say that the time is
around 2:30, I can't keep myself from thinking..........

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

Ouch, that sounds like another chinese toothache.

I just bought an HF air stapler for $19.99. It shoots 1/2" crown
staples -- and it does shoot them! Flat buries a 3/8" staple in red
oak. I probably won't shoot two boxes of staples thru it during
its or my lifetime. But it'll do the job for making the annual
batch of rabbit guards with chickenwire and 1x2 stakes for milady's
200 feet of flower garden.

With Arrow "power shot" manual stapler that cost almost as much:
ka-chunk (hmm) ka-chunk (****) ka-chunk(F**K!) kachunk kachunk
kachunk (gimme the goddamned hammer...)

With HF Chinese air stapler: WHAM (ahhh!) That'll work, and
that's about all I want to spend on tooling for making rabbit
guards.

"Is not checking stapler by pressing against forehead. May damage
to stapler."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:08:24 -0500, the renowned Brent Philion
wrote:

Wel it does say something about harbor freight quality control unfortunately

If i saw instructions come through in as you put it Chinglish it would
tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the manufacturer didnt care
enough to write out proper instructons.

The instructions and warnings are pretty good- clearly written in
California, some of it by a lawyer. The parts list in the back got
less attention. "shaft of rope tube", "buard ring (samll)",
"sicroswitch cover", "places terminal block". Most of it is easy to
figure out. I've seen worse in Japanese manuals, and not that long
ago.

And IMO worse the importer didnt care enough to check the product they
sold and stand by it. Or send it right back on the crate it came from

So it sounds like you bought a hoist with a broken "Give a ****"

What do you expect for about the price of twenty Caramel Macchiatos
(sp?) at Starbucks? (I don't drink them, but the kid and better half
do). It won't get my hands greasy like the chain hoist. I won't use it
heavily, and probably never near capacity. If you're rebuilding
engines for a living and need to use it constantly it might not be a
good choice. BTW, they don't come in crates any more-- well designed
molded polystyrene foam packaging inside a heavy-duty 4-color printed
carton. You can get quite a few in a sea-shipment container with
little worry of shipping damage.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.

It's a relative of the "shaking shank" on my Taiwan made rotary table.

Please breathe lube into tool usually.

Steve R.

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Info for manufacturers:
http://www.trexon.com
Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:
http://www.speff.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

I picked up one of those little Harbor Fright 200/400kg electric
hoists, and it has a weight attached to the cable, above the lift
hook. The parts list in the Chinglish instructions refers to it as a
"rouring feight".

What the heck is that supposed to be in good old English? I assume the
purpose is just to keep the hook from going all over the place.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The weight (as far as I know) serves two purposes....
1. It helps pull the cable off the drum when lowering as just the hook
and cable is not enough weight and the drum will simply rotate inside
of a big coil of cable.
2. It also hits a "framework" at the hoist that the cable runs
through so when you are raising a load, it will shut off the winch
when the weight hits the framework. It prevents stalling out the
winch (or worse) when you have raised it as far as it will go.
HTH
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

Hey Speff,

How about a combined word, as in "round ring weight" with a typo on
the "F". Dual purpose for the weight of maintaining some cable
tension, and the ring providing a striker for the up direction safety
shut-off.

Most lift equipment has some sort of auto-stop to protect against
over-winding. On large cranes, the little weight of about that same
size is dangled on a chain from the switch arm at the upper limit,
similar to a float switch in/on a sump-pump.

There should also be some sort of "down over-winding" safety too, so
that say, one of your kids is playing with the buttons and just
keeping the "DOWN" pushed until all the cable feeds off, then begins
to wind on again. If the as-built safety stop switch only stops "UP"
travel but then allows a down run, then you'll see that it won't do
anything now, and hopefully would stall on jamming, but worst case
would see the cable snap and somebody get hurt when the hook and
weight go flying.

Happy New Year by the way.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:49:09 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 08:12:33 -0500, the renowned Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Speff,

How about a combined word, as in "round ring weight" with a typo on
the "F". Dual purpose for the weight of maintaining some cable
tension, and the ring providing a striker for the up direction safety
shut-off.

That's clearly the function of the weight, whatever the name. The
blurb at the beginning says "stabilizing weight" which I can't fit
into the Chinglish.

Most lift equipment has some sort of auto-stop to protect against
over-winding. On large cranes, the little weight of about that same
size is dangled on a chain from the switch arm at the upper limit,
similar to a float switch in/on a sump-pump.

There should also be some sort of "down over-winding" safety too, so
that say, one of your kids is playing with the buttons and just
keeping the "DOWN" pushed until all the cable feeds off, then begins
to wind on again. If the as-built safety stop switch only stops "UP"
travel but then allows a down run, then you'll see that it won't do
anything now, and hopefully would stall on jamming, but worst case
would see the cable snap and somebody get hurt when the hook and
weight go flying.

I don't see any protection against that. Interestingly they have big
warnings about having an external motor switch installed. I wonder if
they are worried about it sticking "on" somehow.

Happy New Year by the way.

Same to you and yours, Brian.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Ken Sterling wrote:

[...]

Note that the issue in item 1 will only occur when the winch is mounted
such that retrieving the non-lowering hook will require going to get a
ladder. You can test it all day and it will work perfectly until you
mount it out of reach.

Pete C.