Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lionel

Default Bolt Strength Advice - Please

Anyone like to comment on post below from uk.rec.models.engineering
Lionel

"Ian Phillips" wrote in message ...
I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews to
be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

My concern is not knowing whether the aproximately 2mm wall thickness of
material left will be sufficiently strong enough. The intended use is on a
'show' car but will be driven (carefully) on the road.

I would not know where to start calculating, and even if I could I would not
know the values of whatever forces are involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian Phillips

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Lionel wrote:
Anyone like to comment on post below from uk.rec.models.engineering
Lionel

"Ian Phillips" wrote in message ...
I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews to
be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

My concern is not knowing whether the aproximately 2mm wall thickness of
material left will be sufficiently strong enough. The intended use is on a
'show' car but will be driven (carefully) on the road.

I would not know where to start calculating, and even if I could I would not
know the values of whatever forces are involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian Phillips

I am doubtful that they will be strong enough, but this just my gut
reaction. A normal M12 hex nut is 19 mm across the flats, giving a wall
thickness of 3.5 mm. Obviously there is going to be a margin of safety
built in when M12 hex nuts are used as wheelnuts, but you want to keep
that margin of safety. The behaviour of the nut and how it might fail
will be pretty complex, so a calculation would not be straightforward.

Best wishes,

Chris Tidy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 22:36:27 -0000, "Lionel"
wrote:

Anyone like to comment on post below from uk.rec.models.engineering
Lionel

"Ian Phillips" wrote in message ...
I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews to
be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

My concern is not knowing whether the aproximately 2mm wall thickness of
material left will be sufficiently strong enough. The intended use is on a
'show' car but will be driven (carefully) on the road.

I would not know where to start calculating, and even if I could I would not
know the values of whatever forces are involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian Phillips

This would reduce the cross-sectional area to about 44% of what it
was, almost equivalent to running with only 2 bolts present in a
5-bolt design.

You'd increase the stress in the bolts by a factor of 2.29. That
sounds dicey to me, though there is surely a significant safety factor
in the original design.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

I have had some bad experiences with stainless nuts and bolts. I am
wondering if there will be metal pickup problems using stainless in a
situation where the fastener will be used repeatedly.
Randy

"Lionel" wrote in message
Anyone like to comment on post below from uk.rec.models.engineering
Lionel

"Ian Phillips" wrote in message
I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews
be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

My concern is not knowing whether the aproximately 2mm wall thickness of
material left will be sufficiently strong enough. The intended use is on a
'show' car but will be driven (carefully) on the road.

I would not know where to start calculating, and even if I could I would
not
know the values of whatever forces are involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian Phillips

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Lionel says...

I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews to
be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

Make one and apply a cross-pattern lug wrench to it.

I'll lay even odds that you can snap the head right off
without half trying.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
WILLIAM HENRY

these can be bought pretty readily, as such you would be better off
making completely from scratch and heat treating
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
everyman

Why not two sets. One "show" set and one higher strength one for driving the
car on the road. Better safe than dead or trashed car. Of course sooner or
later they're going to drive with the show set.
Karl

"Lionel" wrote in message
Anyone like to comment on post below from uk.rec.models.engineering
Lionel

"Ian Phillips" wrote in message

I have been asked to modify some M16 stainless steel A4 caphead setscrews

be used as car wheelnuts. The plan is to drill and tap M12 fine in the

plain
(16mm diameter) portion of the bolt to create a 'sleeve' nut.

My concern is not knowing whether the aproximately 2mm wall thickness of
material left will be sufficiently strong enough. The intended use is on a
'show' car but will be driven (carefully) on the road.

I would not know where to start calculating, and even if I could I would

not
know the values of whatever forces are involved.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ian Phillips

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tomcas

wrote:

[...]

Don't forget the reduction is cross section is in the least stressed
area at least as far a torsion goes. Also, don't forget that the
remaining cross section is the highest strength portion due to the work
hardening effect of stainless steel.