Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ebby

Default Question about using a slip roll?

I am building my own airplane and am starting to fabricate the cowlings. I
am using 2024-T3 alclad. I have access to a slip roll but there are no
instructions as to its use. I have run metal through this tool before but
purely a trial and error event. I don't want to waste metal by trial and
error. Where could I find guidance using this metalworking tool? Thanks
in advance.

--
John "Ebby" Ebensperger
Hatz Classic s/n37

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Ebby wrote:

I am building my own airplane and am starting to fabricate the cowlings. I
am using 2024-T3 alclad. I have access to a slip roll but there are no
instructions as to its use. I have run metal through this tool before but
purely a trial and error event. I don't want to waste metal by trial and
error. Where could I find guidance using this metalworking tool? Thanks
in advance.

--
John "Ebby" Ebensperger
Hatz Classic s/n37
Camden, NY

Did you check the EAA to see if they had any good info on using a slip
roll?

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:32:35 GMT, "Ebby"
wrote:

I am building my own airplane and am starting to fabricate the cowlings. I
am using 2024-T3 alclad. I have access to a slip roll but there are no
instructions as to its use. I have run metal through this tool before but
purely a trial and error event. I don't want to waste metal by trial and
error. Where could I find guidance using this metalworking tool? Thanks
in advance.

Try running some non-corrugated cardboard throug it. Graduate to
cheap galvanize.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North

It's not like you can read a book about it and fab up parts with complex
compound curves on your first try. Slip rolls take quite a bit of
experience and 'hand' to achieve predictable results. You can partially
get by this requirement by *very slowly* decreasing the radius
adjustment at each end of the roll while you roll the work. Note that
repeatedly rolling the work back and forth throuth the rolls will change
the rate and shape of the curves as opposed to a single pass. Better to
practice the "feel" of slip rolling on cheap sheet metal, like the
24"X36" galv. roofing tin sheets at Home Despot.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Ebby wrote:

I am building my own airplane and am starting to fabricate the cowlings. I
am using 2024-T3 alclad. I have access to a slip roll but there are no
instructions as to its use. I have run metal through this tool before but
purely a trial and error event. I don't want to waste metal by trial and
error. Where could I find guidance using this metalworking tool? Thanks
in advance.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 02:32:35 GMT, "Ebby" wrote:

I have access to a slip roll

Compound curves ?

Can you do these usefully with a slip roll? Wouldn't you need a wheel
instead?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My standard recomendation- Sheet Metal Shop Practice, by Leo Meyer, ATP
books. Check ABEbooks.com, there is usually a copy used.
Covers all basic hand operated sheet metal tools, layout, and much
more.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ebby

No compound curves if I can help it. The pieces I want to make are the
upper/lower cowling, cockpit and belly skins. The 2024-T3 has a temper so
what I am looking to do is coax the sheets in the right direction with the
slip roll then fasten the skins in place with screws. One sheet is .032" T3
and it's pretty springy. That's why using galvanized is a good start but it
doesn't have the same physical property as T3. The spacing of the rolls
using galvanized will not put the same amount of curl in the T3. I was
wondering if someone did a reference table for different alloys and metal
thicknesses with a measurement to set the roller distance for a particular
radius of curl. I will just have to start with a bit of curl then work my
way up to the final curl needed to make a satisfactory fit. Thanks all.
I'm sure I'll figure it out.