Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default SUM PERCH!

The other day I felt energetic. I also felt claustrophobic, that feeling
you get just before you pass out from lack of oxygen ............... I had
to take stuff to the dump.

Anyhoo, I took stuff to the dump. Included was a piece of black carpet that
had been laying around forever. I felt gratification, satisfaction, and
nearly an orgasm as I tossed things that had tripped me, sat around forever,
and just disorganized my life. GOOD RIDDANCE.

Fast forward.

I went quail hunting for the last couple of days. After I got home, I went
to wrenching on the ATV and checking things. I decided I needed a piece of
carpet in the bottom of my hard box to keep things from bouncing.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It's at the dump.

Why is it that when you take stuff to the dump, you need it within a few
days?

This is about the sixty third time this has happened.

How do they know?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Steve B" wrote in message

Why is it that when you take stuff to the dump, you need it within a few
days?

This is about the sixty third time this has happened.

How do they know?

A serious response may be out of order here, but I've wondered the same
thing myself. Seriously (if you'll excuse the expression), I think that the
"trasher's remorse" stimulates the part of the brain that thinks of creative
and useful things to do with old junk.

I'm hanging on to my 19th century drawknives and those three WWII 28-Vdc
electric motors. You just never know.

Oh, and the two packs of Sandvik HSS power-hacksaw blades...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Steve B wrote:

Why is it that when you take stuff to the dump, you need it within a few
days? ...

Maybe not for carpet, but for more unusual stuff, my theory is that you
forget about it until you take it to the dump. So, you might have used
it if you had remembered that you had it, but you had forgotten about
it. Until you clean out and take it to the dump.

It's sort of a Catch 22: you don't need it when you have it and you
need it when you don't have it.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

And the carpet man has a small piece that is only 10x in size and costs money.

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Why is it that when you take stuff to the dump, you need it within a few
days? ...

Maybe not for carpet, but for more unusual stuff, my theory is that you
forget about it until you take it to the dump. So, you might have used
it if you had remembered that you had it, but you had forgotten about
it. Until you clean out and take it to the dump.

It's sort of a Catch 22: you don't need it when you have it and you
need it when you don't have it.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
And the carpet man has a small piece that is only 10x in size and costs
money.

Martin Eastburn

Lucky for me, there's a carpet store near me. Plus, there's all that carpet
rolled up in the attic I forgot about.

If the Missus didn't toss it, that is.

She cleaned up some last week.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:04:25 -0500, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

Why is it that when you take stuff to the dump, you need it within a few
days?

This is about the sixty third time this has happened.

How do they know?

A serious response may be out of order here, but I've wondered the same
thing myself. Seriously (if you'll excuse the expression), I think that the
"trasher's remorse" stimulates the part of the brain that thinks of creative
and useful things to do with old junk.

I'm hanging on to my 19th century drawknives and those three WWII 28-Vdc
electric motors. You just never know.

Oh, and the two packs of Sandvik HSS power-hacksaw blades...

Lol..I just bought..or traded rather..a power hacksaw. I knew I had
those blade around for something besides knife making.

Though..it does come with a pretty good sized package of Starrett
bimetal hacksaw blades...

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston

Steve B wrote:
[...]

Yeeah, but.

Isn't it odd that we deeply discount the value of unobstructed walkways
and clean horizontal surfaces? They can be the most effective stimulus
to creative thought, yes?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

Lol..I just bought..or traded rather..a power hacksaw. I knew I had
those blade around for something besides knife making.

See, that's the full-blown packrat mentality: Hang on to those saw blades,
you never know when a saw will turn up.

I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Thompson

How do they know?

Steve

Maybe we need to reorganize the way we do things. We could take a tip from
Windows and have a "trash bin" to temporarily house the stuff we throw out, and
then after a reasonable amount of time actually carry it to the dump.
Hmmm...I wonder.
Us really hard case pack rats could have someone else do the final dirty deed.
Probably wouldn't help, though.
This is probably as deeply ingrained as Murphy's Law.GRIN

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

--
Ed Huntress

I have an ignition switch for a 30' Searay and a pair of size 4 lace
panties.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

--
Ed Huntress

I have an ignition switch for a 30' Searay...

An ignition switch? That's a long reach, but maybe...

...and a pair of size 4 lace
panties.

New or used?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:05:58 GMT, Ron Thompson
wrote:

Maybe we need to reorganize the way we do things. We could take a tip from
Windows and have a "trash bin" to temporarily house the stuff we throw out, and
then after a reasonable amount of time actually carry it to the dump.
Hmmm...I wonder.
Us really hard case pack rats could have someone else do the final dirty deed.

We usually do..they are called Next of Kin.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:59:54 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

--
Ed Huntress

I have an ignition switch for a 30' Searay and a pair of size 4 lace
panties.

Coool!! Were they both removed from service?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Tom Gardner wrote:
I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

--
Ed Huntress

I have an ignition switch for a 30' Searay and a pair of size 4 lace
panties.

I'm still wondering why "panties" are plural and "bra" is singular.....

That's probably as inane as wodering why if money doesn't grow on trees
most banks have branches.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

A friend of mine in Bonsall, California, has a Ferrari Dino that was a
centerfold in Car and Driver. Next time we go, I'm making him take it out
from under the dust cover, and I am taking my picture with it.

Such a car!

He also has two Maseratis, a Lamborghini, two Porsches, and a Volvo (for
runs to the store.)

Must be tough.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:
Maybe we need to reorganize the way we do things. We could take a tip from
Windows and have a "trash bin" to temporarily house the stuff we throw out, and
then after a reasonable amount of time actually carry it to the dump.
Hmmm...I wonder.

It's called "the back shed" - the one where, about every other year,
I toss a handfuls of moth balls through the holes in the floor to
encourage the black kitties with white stripes to go four doors up the
street and visit the guy with the wildlife control business.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm still wondering why "panties" are plural and "bra" is singular.....

That's probably as inane as wodering why if money doesn't grow on trees
most banks have branches.

Jeff

And are pants singular or plural?

ans: singular at the top and plural at the bottom.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: Jeff Wisnia writes on Sun, 08 Jan
2006 18:25:21 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
Tom Gardner wrote:
I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

--
Ed Huntress

I have an ignition switch for a 30' Searay and a pair of size 4 lace
panties.

I'm still wondering why "panties" are plural and "bra" is singular.....

That's probably as inane as wodering why if money doesn't grow on trees
most banks have branches.

Sheesh, any one knows that money doesn't grow on trees, it comes from
mint plants.

And as Daniel the spaniel responded when his father said "Motorcycles
don't grow on trees!" "Of course not, they come from plants!"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm still wondering why "panties" are plural and "bra" is singular.....

That's probably as inane as wodering why if money doesn't grow on
trees most banks have branches.

Jeff

And are pants singular or plural?

ans: singular at the top and plural at the bottom.
...lew...

And there's even a name for those kind of words, it's "plurale tantum":

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/plurale_tantum

More than any of us needed to know, 'eh?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:37:20 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Steve B" quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...
I keep a Ferrari piston on my bookshelf for the same reason.

A friend of mine in Bonsall, California,

Hey, that's 7 miles from where I used to live! (Vista, CA)

has a Ferrari Dino that was a
centerfold in Car and Driver. Next time we go, I'm making him take it out
from under the dust cover, and I am taking my picture with it.

Such a car!

He also has two Maseratis, a Lamborghini, two Porsches, and a Volvo (for
runs to the store.)

Must be tough.

Yeah, there are a lot of rich uckfays in the Bonsall/Fallbrook area.
Have you ever seen the old Lamborghini 4WDs? I'll bet they'd be as
much fun as the high-speed sweeties.
http://www.lambocars.com/archive/lm/lm.htm

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 03:58:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I'm still wondering why "panties" are plural and "bra" is singular.....

That's probably as inane as wodering why if money doesn't grow on trees
most banks have branches.

Jeff

And are pants singular or plural?

ans: singular at the top and plural at the bottom.

A single unit is known as a pair of pants, sir.
Go figure.