Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Anderson

Default Home made electric oven for lost wax meltout

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a schematic diagram for
automatic temperature control on a home made electric shop oven? Inside
furnace dimension about 6x6x6 inches plus premolded insulation. My heat
source is a discarded 1500-watt 230 volt spiral wound element from a
domestic stove. My cost = $0. I would like to operate at about 1000-deg F
for burnout on lost wax investment molds. The best control would be ramp up
to around 250-deg F and hold 30 minutes for the preliminary melt out, then
go up to 1000 deg for one hour final burnout. Furnace is already
constructed and works great on manual control using one type "K" TC and a
hand held readout, but of course this requires hands-on attention. TIA Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

David Anderson wrote:

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a schematic diagram for
automatic temperature control on a home made electric shop oven? Inside
furnace dimension about 6x6x6 inches plus premolded insulation. My heat
source is a discarded 1500-watt 230 volt spiral wound element from a
domestic stove. My cost = $0. I would like to operate at about 1000-deg
for burnout on lost wax investment molds. The best control would be ramp
up
to around 250-deg F and hold 30 minutes for the preliminary melt out,
then
go up to 1000 deg for one hour final burnout. Furnace is already
constructed and works great on manual control using one type "K" TC and a
hand held readout, but of course this requires hands-on attention. TIA

You can find PID controllers that take a type K thermocouple on ebay for
under $50. You'll also need a relay. Read the specs on the
controllers--some of them allow the ramp-up you need.

Dave

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Try a ceramics shop and ask about cones. There are varoious wax cones
that melt at different temperatures and trigger a relay when they melt.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Mayhugh

Try he

http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/

They sell inexpensive furnace controllers for just your application.

"David Anderson" wrote in message
t...
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a schematic diagram for
automatic temperature control on a home made electric shop oven? Inside
furnace dimension about 6x6x6 inches plus premolded insulation. My heat
source is a discarded 1500-watt 230 volt spiral wound element from a
domestic stove. My cost = $0. I would like to operate at about 1000-deg
F for burnout on lost wax investment molds. The best control would be
ramp up to around 250-deg F and hold 30 minutes for the preliminary melt
out, then go up to 1000 deg for one hour final burnout. Furnace is
already constructed and works great on manual control using one type "K"
TC and a hand held readout, but of course this requires hands-on
attention. TIA Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

David Anderson wrote:

I would like to operate at about 1000-deg F
for burnout on lost wax investment molds.

To my knowledge, this is not hot enough. I have read, that it must be
glowing red (dull red) to get the sooth out.
But I may be wrong.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models