Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
charles

Default oval water stone

I have a 12" x 2" water stone, that is not circular. It is fairly round,
but off center, 1/4" excentric. I can't adjust the axle to center it, so
it appears I have to turn the stone on its frame, and grind it circular. I
am thinking of a jig and using a 4.5 inch hand grinder with one of those
diamond metal blades, and a wet sponge, used on stone countertops . I
don't own a diamond wheel dresser, but I do have one of those rotary types.
Does anyone have any experience doing this or any recomendations? thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

I think you should be able to get away with just
using the rotary wheel dresser. Just be careful
not to let the stone get up to any speed until
you've completed dressing it as the vibration
could destroy it ( And You)

"charles" wrote in
message ...
I have a 12" x 2" water stone, that is not
circular. It is fairly round,
but off center, 1/4" excentric. I can't adjust
the axle to center it, so
it appears I have to turn the stone on its
frame, and grind it circular. I
am thinking of a jig and using a 4.5 inch hand
grinder with one of those
diamond metal blades, and a wet sponge, used on
stone countertops . I
don't own a diamond wheel dresser, but I do have
one of those rotary types.
Does anyone have any experience doing this or
any recomendations? thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
charles

I think you should be able to get away with just
using the rotary wheel dresser. Just be careful
not to let the stone get up to any speed until
you've completed dressing it as the vibration
could destroy it ( And You)

.. . . .Thanks... I figure I will have about 60 rpm, and running in a water
bath, when I try this.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
charles

Thanks, that's something I had not considered, but surely will now.
I don't quite understand why you can't do something to center it.
Could you not figure out where the center ought to be, and enlarge the
hole so that it is centered. Then make a bushing to reduce the hole to
the diameter you need.

I think Harbor Freight sell a diamond hole saw that might work if you
have a drill press.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Chilcoat

I would consider mounting it, turning at a couple hundred RPM, and dressing
it with a single-point diamond dresser. The diamond should easily take off
the high spot without banging it like a multi-disk dresser would do.
Diamond dressers are cheap (I think I paid less than $5 for mine).

"charles" wrote in message
I have a 12" x 2" water stone, that is not circular. It is fairly round,
but off center, 1/4" excentric. I can't adjust the axle to center it, so
it appears I have to turn the stone on its frame, and grind it circular.
am thinking of a jig and using a 4.5 inch hand grinder with one of those
diamond metal blades, and a wet sponge, used on stone countertops . I
don't own a diamond wheel dresser, but I do have one of those rotary
types.
Does anyone have any experience doing this or any recomendations? thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Seems to me - it would be somewhat easy to use a hard wax or the like, put the
stone on a stick or metal rod using the wax as a side attaching material - around the
'stick' and flowing down across a small area on the stone.

It can be removed after turning - with a little heat and maybe some turpentine to
get the rest.

Keep it cool while cutting - and all would work out well.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member