Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default Need someone with a lathe to make a lens reversing tube/adapeter

This adapter is a short cylinder, perhaps 3/4" long, though almost anything
on the order of .5" - 1" is acceptable. Moderate strength is needed
sufficient to support a lens weighing, perhaps 8-10 oz rigidly without
vibrating. From what I've seen of standard camera accessories, maybe .1"
steel or 50% thicker aluminum should be more than sufficient.

One end of the cylinder is 57mm diameter with a 1mm pitch external thread .
The other end of the cylinder need to mate with standard filter threads.
Typical diameters are 55mm, 58mm, etc and I'd guess that 58mm would provide
the least material removal; I have no overwhelming preference for one of
these sizes over the other. Pitch of this thread is supposed to be .75mm
and it would also be external.

I'll provide sample parts that would mate to the adapter for verification of
the specifications and fit-check of the final product.

Only one is needed. While an anodized black interior surface is desirable,
a bare metal finish is acceptable and I can paint/cover the interior to
suppress internal reflections. It's possible that within a few months I'll
want to get a second, similar (but not exact) adapter but that's still
undetermined at this time.

Delivery time is not particularly critical -- anything in January or early
February of next year is acceptable.

Final destination is ZIP 21144.

I'd like to get estimates -- I don't expect a binding quote initially but
that would certainly be nice; a not-to-exceed price is adequate for now.

My e-mail address is valid and you can either send it to me directly or post
to the NG. Of course any questions will be answered as soon as possible.

Thanks

Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:08:43 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

This adapter is a short cylinder, perhaps 3/4" long, though almost anything
on the order of .5" - 1" is acceptable. Moderate strength is needed
sufficient to support a lens weighing, perhaps 8-10 oz rigidly without
vibrating. From what I've seen of standard camera accessories, maybe .1"
steel or 50% thicker aluminum should be more than sufficient.

I had something very much like this made by a local machine shop a few
years ago. I drew it up, in a real mechanical drawing format, and as it
happened, a friend of a friend had a shop, and he cut me one for about
$30.00.

So, draw a real drawing of it (not necessarily scaled, but it's nice),
and look in the yellow pages for "machine shops".

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Rich Grise wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:08:43 +0000, Norm Dresner wrote:

This adapter is a short cylinder, perhaps 3/4" long, though almost anything
on the order of .5" - 1" is acceptable. Moderate strength is needed
sufficient to support a lens weighing, perhaps 8-10 oz rigidly without
vibrating. From what I've seen of standard camera accessories, maybe .1"
steel or 50% thicker aluminum should be more than sufficient.

I had something very much like this made by a local machine shop a few
years ago. I drew it up, in a real mechanical drawing format, and as it
happened, a friend of a friend had a shop, and he cut me one for about
$30.00.

So, draw a real drawing of it (not necessarily scaled, but it's nice),
and look in the yellow pages for "machine shops".

The other possibility is SK Grimes,

http://www.skgrimes.com/

He's a master photographer's machinist
and his prices are very fair. More than
one of us has successfully used his
services.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

This is from the Grimes website:
"Custom made adapters are $50.00 each in smaller sizes and $75.00 in
medium sizes. $125.00 and up in very large size"

I've gotten one "quote" so far of $100 which is a little high but not out of
line with what Grimes says.

So, the question is,
If it's going to cost me ~$100 for a single adapter and since there's a
distinct possibility of wanting/needing others in the not-to-distant future,
do I have each one custom-made as it comes up ... or do I invest in a used
Unimat lathe for, say, $2-300 so I can make as many as I want? [Yes,
although it was over 40 years ago, I did learn how to use machine tools both
in college and later in a professional environment.]

Certainly, if someone offered to cut it for me at $30, there'd be no
question. But at $100 each, I've got to ask which is a more economical
approach.

Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 21:00:19 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

[...]

It will take some amount of time and material cost. Shop rates are
probably $50 or more per hour. Last I checked, anodzing cost around
$100 minimum so you can see how one of your parts *could* cost $200 or
more. So if you have time to practice and scrap a few parts you should
buy the lathe and make them yourself. I'd suggest using black delrin
to avoid anodizing.
Randy
--
Randy Replogle

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Norm Dresner :

[ ... cost of lens reversing adaptors ... ]

So, the question is,
If it's going to cost me ~$100 for a single adapter and since there's a
distinct possibility of wanting/needing others in the not-to-distant future,
do I have each one custom-made as it comes up ... or do I invest in a used
Unimat lathe for, say, $2-300 so I can make as many as I want?

Note that at least the Unimat SL-1000 (which I have) requires an
accessory for cutting threads -- and it is not a particularly good way
to do it. I don't think that any of the later ones have real
screw-cutting either.

And since you will be cutting very threads to shoulders, I think
that your choices would be either:

1) Something like a Sherline lathe, with the thread cutting
kit, and hand cranking it to cut threads.

Hand cranking is a pain, but for threads as short as you are
planning to make, probably not a bad way to go, especially given
the short thread length and the shoulder at the end of each.

2) Something like the Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (used only) or a
CNC retrofit for a Sherline to cut the threads under power to a
shoulder.

[Yes,
although it was over 40 years ago, I did learn how to use machine tools both
in college and later in a professional environment.]

But -- those would have a quick-change threading gearbox, and
the Unimat would not. Even my 12x24" Clausing would be a pain for this
particular task, because of the fact that your threads will most likely
be metric, and the Clausing is best suited to cutting inch threads.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:

[...]

You will need a lathe somewhat more advanced than a unimat. AFAIK
there are no unimat lathes that can conveniently cut threads. It can
be done, but it is a painful, fiddly setup.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker

Norm Dresner wrote:
[...]

Send me a sketch. (e-mail me for my address) $35.00. Pay me when you get
it, IF!!! you like it. Done by mid-Jan, or sooner, depends on free time
on our CNC. Parts to fit would be great to use as gages, but not
absolutely necessary.

We gots lots of 2-1/4" drops of Aluminum, 1-1/2" I.D.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

more money David Woodworking 1 December 7th 05 09:36 PM
more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
MAKE £5,000 WITH JUST £3 AND 6 STAMPS!! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 25th 05 01:10 AM
MAKE A LOT OF MONEY, FAST & EASY [email protected] Woodworking 0 December 29th 04 08:57 AM