Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? XCIV

More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jonathan Wilson

R.H. wrote:
More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

541.Some kind of heater or fan or blower?
542.Something used in ESP research or psychology?
544.Fishing reel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Julie Waters

R.H. wrote:
More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

539. This is used to determine the melting point of a solution.

540. It looks like a sample comtainer for transporting tubes of
bloodwork but it seems small for that. Maybe for smaller items, like
culture samples?

541. Desk mounted fan.

542. Cards used in ESP tests in the 1970s and in "Ghostbusters."

No idea about the others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:

541 looks very much like an electrical heater, but is rather small,
according to the given size, so I suppose it has a very specific
intended use.

542 is a card game and at least in Germany it is called "Sets". Each
card has four different attributes: the color, number of symbols, symbol
shape and kind of filling (empty, sparkled or solid). There are three
different kinds of each attribute and the deck has 81 cards (all
possible combinations). After placing 12 cards face up on the table as
shown on the picture, the players should at the same time try to find a
so called "set" among the shown cards. A set consists of three cards
where all attributes are either equal or different on all three cars. On
the shown picture, one set is the cards with three wavy, purple symbols:

- they all have the same color
- the number of symbols is the same
- the symbol shape is the same
- the filling is different on all three cards

Another possible set is the three bottom cards in the middle column. In
that set, all attributes are different on all cards. When a player finds
a set, he says "set" and can collect the three cards he has found. The
empty locations on the table are filled with new cards and the game
continues until the deck is complete and no more sets can be found among
the remaining cards. The German cards are sligthly different, having
rectangle, ellipsoid and wavy symbols instead of the symbols on the picture.

Tor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

"542 is a card game and at least in Germany it is called "Sets". "

Here in the US, its called "Set", but all the rest of the rules are the
same.

541 looks like an air purifier.
544 is an old fly fishing reel

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Julie Waters

Unknown wrote:
,;539. This is used to determine the melting point of a solution.

Close but not correct. This was used in organic chemistry to determine
the melting point of solids.

Right. Brain mixup. Meant "compound" not "solution."

--julie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Warren Weber

#535 battery post and cable conector cleaner. W W

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Kevin Craig

In article , R.H.
wrote:

More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

539. Cool bong.
540. Tube rack. Or loading block for ammo components. Or something.
541. Fan, heater, or air filter.
542. Cards. If you'll concentrate *reaaaally* hard...
543. Dunno, but I bet we're only seeing half of it.
544. Fly reel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 04:38:26 -0800, humunculus wrote:

"542 is a card game and at least in Germany it is called "Sets". "

Here in the US, its called "Set", but all the rest of the rules are the
same.

I thought they were ESP testing cards. Silly me!

541 looks like an air purifier.
544 is an old fly fishing reel

--humunculus

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

539: Klein Bong. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Tom Gardner

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

539: Klein Bong. ;-)

And just how do you know WHAT a "Bong" is???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Tom Gardner wrote:

And just how do you know WHAT a "Bong" is???

You smoke "herbs" in a bong. Afterwards, you feel a bing, bang, or bong
in your head.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 05:33:00 -0500, Julie Waters
wrote:

,;R.H. wrote:
,; More photos have been posted:
,;
,; http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;
,;539. This is used to determine the melting point of a solution.

Close but not correct. This was used in organic chemistry to determine
the melting point of solids. The sample was placed in a capillary tube
and held near the point where the upper joint is. The tube was filled
with oil and the bottom was heated with a Bunsen burner (gently) to
slowly raise the temperature. A thermometer was placed next to the
sample. You sit and watch until the sample melts. Repeat until you get
consistent readings. As you might guess there is expensive equipment
for that job now.
,;
,;540. It looks like a sample comtainer for transporting tubes of
,;bloodwork but it seems small for that. Maybe for smaller items, like
,;culture samples?
,;
,;541. Desk mounted fan.
,;
,;542. Cards used in ESP tests in the 1970s and in "Ghostbusters."
,;
,;No idea about the others.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dan Major

539. Theile tube (or Theile-Dennis tube) for melting point determination.
You put a sample in a capilary tube attached to a thermometer in top, fill
with mineral oil, and apply heat (bunsen burner) just below loop. Sample
must be located between ends of loop, and main portion of tube must be
vertical.

540. Pellet press

541. Some sort of fan, possible with a heater or an ion generator (to
reduce static electricity)

542. card game, like Old Maid or Go Fish

543. Uphostery hammer. Metal edge used to mark out spacing for decorative
tacks

544. Fishing reel

545. OH! I aw one of those yesterday!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey

544 is an English style Carp fishing reel.

Darrell

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey

535 is car battery terminal cleaner

Darrell

"R.H." wrote in message
More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bill B

R.H. wrote:
More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

541 - Car window defroster. Used to have a very similar item when I was
young in a 68 Bonneville. Heater motor went out and I couldn't afford a
new one, so $5.00 at K-Mart got a 12v defroster. Never did work very
well...

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

I stand partially corrected. #544 is an old (1950's) Allcock Centrepin
casting reel. They still make them today (most common brand is
'Alvey'): the reel twists at 90-degrees so the line falls off the reel
more easily when casting, then twists back to the standard position for
retieval. Great for long distance casting, as there is no drag when the
line is going out. Do you own this reel, or was it just a picture you
took? If it's the 'Flick-em Perfection" model, its worth about $160.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:02:51 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

539: Klein Bong. ;-)

And just how do you know WHAT a "Bong" is???

What, you've never seen a Cheech & Chong movie? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Four have been answered correctly so far, and I don't know about 543:

539. Thiele tube

540. No correct answers yet.

541. Windshield defroster

542. Set card game

543. Still looking to confirm this item.

544. It was marked "salmon reel"

A couple of new photos and a bunch of links can be found on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan96k.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 17:41:56 GMT, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:02:51 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

539: Klein Bong. ;-)

And just how do you know WHAT a "Bong" is???

What, you've never seen a Cheech & Chong movie? ;-)

You know, there are some folks on these newsgroups young enough that they
are going to ask who Cheech and Chong are (were). :-(

Nope, unfortunately, I'm not one of 'em (that young that is).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Bill B" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
More photos have been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

541 - Car window defroster. Used to have a very similar item when I was
young in a 68 Bonneville. Heater motor went out and I couldn't afford a
new one, so $5.00 at K-Mart got a 12v defroster. Never did work very
well...

This one doesn't work great, but just well enough to be useful until the car
defroster warms up.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"humunculus" wrote in message
ups.com...
I stand partially corrected. #544 is an old (1950's) Allcock Centrepin
casting reel. They still make them today (most common brand is
'Alvey'): the reel twists at 90-degrees so the line falls off the reel
more easily when casting, then twists back to the standard position for
retieval. Great for long distance casting, as there is no drag when the
line is going out. Do you own this reel, or was it just a picture you
took? If it's the 'Flick-em Perfection" model, its worth about $160.

--riverman

The back of this one says "Olympic reel", and yes, it does twist 90 degrees.
I don't own this item, it belongs to a friend. There are a few more photos
of it on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan96k.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:02:51 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:
"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

539: Klein Bong. ;-)

And just how do you know WHAT a "Bong" is???

What, you've never seen a Cheech & Chong movie? ;-)

I have one of their old LP albums around here somewhere titled "Big
Bambu" that has a huge folded sheet of onionskin typing paper tucked
inside the cover - at least, I think that's what it's for... ;-P

"Earache, my eye!..."

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

I forgot to give a hint on 540, it's used to make multiple items that most
people buy ready made, but with this tool you can create your own. The
ready made product is used everyday by some people, and others use it just
occasionally. Depending on the ingredients, the finished product can be
used for different purposes, though it almost always looks about the same.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jonathan Wilson

R.H. wrote:
I forgot to give a hint on 540, it's used to make multiple items that most
people buy ready made, but with this tool you can create your own. The
ready made product is used everyday by some people, and others use it just
occasionally. Depending on the ingredients, the finished product can be
used for different purposes, though it almost always looks about the same.

Something for making pills or some kind of medicine?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Is it used to make chalk?

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
A.M. Wood

#544 is a fly fishing reel

#537 is for lighting candles in a church

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"Jonathan Wilson" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:
I forgot to give a hint on 540, it's used to make multiple items that

most
people buy ready made, but with this tool you can create your own. The
ready made product is used everyday by some people, and others use it

just
occasionally. Depending on the ingredients, the finished product can be
used for different purposes, though it almost always looks about the

same.

Something for making pills or some kind of medicine?

Correct, here is a link that shows how it's used:

http://botanical.com/products/learn/capsulemachine.html

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Fred R

R.H. wrote:
Four have been answered correctly so far, and I don't know about 543:

Just ruminating ...

The head on that looks more to me like something pounded 'on' rather
than 'with'. Perhaps to drive the point into some material softer than
wood so the toothed blade can be pivoted through something even softer.

No evidence of a handle to do the pulling though.

Maybe a broken part of a (really narrow?)sickle mower-type device;
pointy end driven by a conical hole in a disk face with the flat end
bearing on a plate below (picture upside-down from working position?)

Era looks to be 1800's agricultural or earlier industrial.

--
Fred R
________________

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
djh

Item 543 IS part of a rug stretcher. You, somewhere here, commented
that was a guess. It is not a guess. I have the entire tool. I
bought it at a yard sale in Michigan in the late eighties. The seller
was the original owner and told me what it is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

Damn. Just how many types of rug stretchers ARE there anyway? I swear
that at least 4 of the last 5 "What is it?"s have had a rug stretcher
in them.

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Darrell Dorsey

545 Pedometer

547 Speaker from the drive in movie theater.

548 Fire bellows for stoking fireplace fire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:11:19 +0000, R.H. wrote:

More photos have been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

539: Klein Bong. ;-)

And just how do you know WHAT a "Bong" is???

What, you've never seen a Cheech & Chong movie? ;-)

I have one of their old LP albums around here somewhere titled "Big
Bambu" that has a huge folded sheet of onionskin typing paper tucked
inside the cover - at least, I think that's what it's for... ;-P

"Earache, my eye!..."

-- Bruce --

"Man, that's the biggest joint I've ever seen!!!!"
"Oh, it's not real - it's just full of a bunch of my old socks and stuff."
"Well, let's try it anyway - you never know!"

Just for the record, there are (or used to be) "cigarette" [ ;-) ] papers
called "Bambu", and they were packaged just like that one in the album,
but much smaller, of course. ;-P

Cheers!
Rich