Old December 19th 05, 04:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wally

Default Does anyone know what thread size a tire valve stem and the Schrader valve are?

I've got an automatic chicken waterer (made by Little Giant) that uses
what looks to be a truck valve stem and a common automotive Schrader
valve. It froze again and broke a fitting and I have tried to find a
tap and die in the past that matched up to these threads, but no luck.
I tried Google and am probably using the wrong key words, but no luck
there either. Does anyone know what sizes these would be? Thank you.

Old December 19th 05, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Wally" wrote in message
I've got an automatic chicken waterer (made by Little Giant) that uses
what looks to be a truck valve stem and a common automotive Schrader
valve. It froze again and broke a fitting and I have tried to find a
tap and die in the past that matched up to these threads, but no luck.
I tried Google and am probably using the wrong key words, but no luck
there either. Does anyone know what sizes these would be? Thank you.

We went over this here a few years ago, so it should be archived on Google
Groups. It's really odd and a couple of us did some digging to come up with
it.

--
Ed Huntress

Old December 19th 05, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Wally writes:

Does anyone know what sizes these would be?

Reputedly:

Internal thread 0.209 inches (5.3mm) by 36 threads per inch (0.706mm
pitch),
External thread is 0.302 inches (7.7mm) by 32 threads per inch (0.794mm
pitch).

I haven't confirmed these.
Old December 19th 05, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Richard J Kinch writes:

I haven't confirmed these.

And I should add, that the reputed measurements aren't sufficient
specifications for actually cutting these threads, if that's what you had
in mind, although if you know thread-cutting, you can figure it out.
Old December 19th 05, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Wally" wrote in message
I've got an automatic chicken waterer (made by Little Giant) that uses
what looks to be a truck valve stem and a common automotive Schrader
valve. It froze again and broke a fitting and I have tried to find a
tap and die in the past that matched up to these threads, but no luck.
I tried Google and am probably using the wrong key words, but no luck
there either. Does anyone know what sizes these would be? Thank you.

We went over this here a few years ago, so it should be archived on Google
Groups. It's really odd and a couple of us did some digging to come up with
it.

--
Ed Huntress

I went through that a while ago. The external threaded part of a
Schrader valve is 7.7 mm (.302") x 32 T.P.I.

YOu think my memory is that good. I found it on the site below.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sa-o.html

John

Old December 19th 05, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:13:58 -0800, Wally
wrote:

I've got an automatic chicken waterer (made by Little Giant) that uses
what looks to be a truck valve stem and a common automotive Schrader
valve. It froze again and broke a fitting and I have tried to find a
tap and die in the past that matched up to these threads, but no luck.
I tried Google and am probably using the wrong key words, but no luck
there either. Does anyone know what sizes these would be? Thank you.

The following link it's

7.7 mm OD
32 tpi, or 0.794 mm pitch
Minor diameter is 6.9mm
Thread designation is .305-32 or 7.7-32

http://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/2386.html

Old December 19th 05, 08:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:29:31 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Wally writes:

Does anyone know what sizes these would be?

Reputedly:

Internal thread 0.209 inches (5.3mm) by 36 threads per inch (0.706mm
pitch),
External thread is 0.302 inches (7.7mm) by 32 threads per inch (0.794mm
pitch).

I haven't confirmed these.

That internal thread sounds awful close to 12-36. I bet a 12-36 tap
would do the job.

Old December 19th 05, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

Most automotive stores sell a thread chaser for tire valves. It will
fix the internal or external threads on a tire valve. I have several
lying in my toolbox.
Bugs

Old December 19th 05, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bushy Pete

Even out here in the outback they are around, so you should be able to find
one, check with your local tyre store!

Should cost less than a six-pack!

Hope this helps,
Pete

ups.com...

Old December 20th 05, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wally

Default Does anyone know what thread size a tire valve stem and the Schrader valve are? Ever seen taps and dies for them?

First off, thank you for the information. I figured if I knew the
size I could get the taps and dies, but they don't seem to exist. I've
got the little 4 way tool with the thread chasers, but am really
surprised that no one seems to make a tap and die set for these
valves. McMaster-Carr doesn't have them and a google search doesn't
pull up any, either.

I was able to make a replacement part from a piece of nylon and fudge
the threads close enough that it seems to be working fine. But the
lack of taps and dies is a surprise.