Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Default HOW WOULD YOU do it?

I have a stainless, small, pony keg that I want to cut in half lengthwise in
order to make a barbeque to hang of the side of our boat.

I was thinking of marking it with a chalk snap line and then using a
reciprocating saw to cut it. What might be the best method absent any
exotic tools?

What can I use to cover the edges other than some expensive s.s. rod?

Thanks

Oh, the keg is full, too. Beer was frozen. Naturally, I will empty it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

knowone wrote:
I have a stainless, small, pony keg that I want to cut in half lengthwise in
order to make a barbeque to hang of the side of our boat.

I was thinking of marking it with a chalk snap line and then using a
reciprocating saw to cut it. What might be the best method absent any
exotic tools?

I suppose you are defining "exotic tools" as tools you don't own?

The best way to cut this would be with a plasma cutter. If I didn't have one of
those, then I'd use a 4" cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. If you don't have one
of those then I'd buy one of these: (often on sale for $16.99-ish)

Do *not* cheap out and buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3150

because guys I know who bought them have suffered *extremely* short service
life, often an hour or two.

The cutoff wheels I'm talking about are this kind:

and if you don't want to buy a ten pack then go to your local hardware store and
buy just one.

A 4½" angle grinder is in no way an exotic tool. I own about 9 angle grinders
and use them all frequently.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

knowone wrote:
I have a stainless, small, pony keg that I want to cut in half lengthwise in
order to make a barbeque to hang of the side of our boat.

I was thinking of marking it with a chalk snap line and then using a
reciprocating saw to cut it. What might be the best method absent any
exotic tools?

What can I use to cover the edges other than some expensive s.s. rod?

Thanks

Oh, the keg is full, too. Beer was frozen. Naturally, I will empty it.

I would use a jigsaw. I suggest a pretty good quality one, like the
Bosch variable speed model that I have. You'll also need a fresh pack
of the proper blades.

If you're steady, you could also use a 4 or 4 1/2" grinder and a cutoff
blade.

I didn't understand the question about covering the edges.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Thanks, GE.

What I meant by exotic is folks suggesting a CO2 or other laser. Or, even a
plasma cutter because I don't own one.

I have all of the tools that you mentioned even including about 7 of the
ones that you said not to get and I am happy to report that they are all
doing just fine. I have used them extensively, too.

I appreciate the tips.

K.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
knowone wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Okay Gary. Thanks for the input.

Well, after the keg is cut, the edges will be very sharp and although they
could be rounded off, I would prefer to put some sort of molding on them. I
could only think of some small ss round stock such as 1/4" or so. Got any
better ideas?

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
ink.net...
knowone wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Gary Brady" wrote: I would use a jigsaw. I suggest a pretty good quality
one, like the Bosch variable speed model that I have. You'll also need a
fresh pack of the proper blades. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And definitely wear hearing protection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Gary Brady" wrote: I would use a jigsaw. I suggest a pretty good quality
one, like the Bosch variable speed model that I have. You'll also need a
fresh pack of the proper blades. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And definitely wear hearing protection.

Aiieeeeee... I was cutting a 55gal drum in half the other day. You
talk about racket!

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

knowone wrote:
Okay Gary. Thanks for the input.

Well, after the keg is cut, the edges will be very sharp and although they
could be rounded off, I would prefer to put some sort of molding on them. I
could only think of some small ss round stock such as 1/4" or so. Got any
better ideas?

I would think something like this:
http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...dings/door.htm
This seems a little pricey. You might have to shop a bit to find the
right product.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Thanks. As you say, a little pricey and besides, it would hold water. I
think 1/4 inch ss rod welded on would be better.

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
knowone wrote:
Okay Gary. Thanks for the input.

Well, after the keg is cut, the edges will be very sharp and although
they could be rounded off, I would prefer to put some sort of molding on
them. I could only think of some small ss round stock such as 1/4" or
so. Got any better ideas?

I would think something like this:
http://www.customautotrim.com/produc...dings/door.htm
This seems a little pricey. You might have to shop a bit to find the
right product.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.

knowone wrote:
I have a stainless, small, pony keg that I want to cut in half

lengthwise in
order to make a barbeque to hang of the side of our boat.

I was thinking of marking it with a chalk snap line and then using a
reciprocating saw to cut it. What might be the best method absent

any
exotic tools?

I suppose you are defining "exotic tools" as tools you don't own?

The best way to cut this would be with a plasma cutter. If I didn't

have one of
those, then I'd use a 4" cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. If you

don't have one
of those then I'd buy one of these: (often on sale for $16.99-ish)

Yep just picked up 2 of those.

Do *not* cheap out and buy one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3150

I just fried one of these by using it for about 1/2 hour and melting the
brush holders out of alignment.

because guys I know who bought them have suffered *extremely* short

service
life, often an hour or two.

The cutoff wheels I'm talking about are this kind:

and if you don't want to buy a ten pack then go to your local hardware

store and
buy just one.

A 4½" angle grinder is in no way an exotic tool. I own about 9 angle

grinders
and use them all frequently.

GWE

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Grimm

Don't buy a toy if you want a tool.

That piece is disposable.

I paid $100 for a milwaukee, it is 5 years old, and shows no signs of wear.

How many $15 grinders do you want to go through?

BTW, my brother was seriously injured by a chinese-manufactured wheel for
one of those, I'd especially avoid the wheels

knowone wrote:
[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Jon Grimm wrote:

Don't buy a toy if you want a tool.

That piece is disposable.

I paid $100 for a milwaukee, it is 5 years old, and shows no signs of wear.

How many $15 grinders do you want to go through?

BTW, my brother was seriously injured by a chinese-manufactured wheel for
one of those, I'd especially avoid the wheels

I was down at Gunner's place and told him about my buddy buying one of the blue
HF angle grinders and having it die in an hour. He showed me an orange one and
said it had been going strong for 3 years. Since then I've seen about 3 more
like that.

If you print out the current flyer from harborfreightusa.com and take it to a HF
store you can buy the orange one for $18 right now.

It is cheap yes, and can be considered disposable, but if the guy just wants to
hack a keg in half, he can buy this tool, do the job, and only be out a $20 bill.

Their 4" cutoff wheels aren't made in China. I have a 10-pack, maybe 5 or 6
left, they work fine.

There *is* a place for inexpensive tools. This happens to be one. Would I buy
one? No way. I own a Milwaukee, and a Ryobi, and 2 Makitas, and ...

GWE

knowone wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Jon Grimm wrote:
I paid $100 for a milwaukee, it is 5 years old, and shows no signs of wear.

How many $15 grinders do you want to go through?

1. I have 4 or 5 4 1/2" grinders. No way I'm going to put $400 or $500
in grinders.

2. I buy a $10 grinder and put the other $90 in a 5% money market
account, in 2+ years I have enough $ in interest to replace it. If it
lasts for 5 years (mine are still going strong after 5 years), I have
$25 in interest. Multiply that by 5 grinders (9 for Grant).

Nice tools are nice. I don't believe in having more tool than I need.
Saves money for other tools.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Besides the Makita and the blue H.F. ones, I also have an orange H.F. unit
and several folks have told me that there is no difference. Who knows?
Anyway, I have used mine for all sorts of jobs and they do just fine FOR ME.
Ymmv.

I do oil them regularly.

knowone wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
badaztek

get some 1/8" X 1" flat stock and just bolt it to the lid ,a piece on
each end and one on each side ,or you can get 2 pieces of rod and tubing
and bolt it the sides of the lid and grill body that way it will sit
flush with itself but you should take this to a weld shop to weld it on
which would be more reliable .
good luck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

knowone wrote:

Besides the Makita and the blue H.F. ones, I also have an orange H.F. unit

I also have a Makita and a orange one.
But the orange one is from Fein. Fine indeed!

NB: Fein is German and means fine. Fein is a German company.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de