Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fred Fowler III

Default OT- Obituary (some here may have known him)

Hi all,

My Grandfather, Fred Fowler Sr., passed this last Tuesday AM. He loved
machining & engineering, even made his own steam locomotives. He had a
damn good run, and will be missed.

Best,

Fred Fowler III

I include Mr. Fowlers obituary below:

Fred V. Fowler, age 101, beloved husband of the late Priscilla Coffin
Fowler, passed away on December 13, 2005, after a brief illness. In
1946, Mr. Fowler founded the Fred V. Fowler Co., now operated in
Auburndale, MA by his son Fred V. Fowler, Jr. Mr. Fowler has resided
in Grantham, NH since 1980. Mr. Fowler was born in Mexico and
subsequently moved to St. Louis, MO, where he attended Washington
University, School of Engineering. Formerly a resident of West Newton
and Boston MA, Mr. Fowler was renowned as both engineer and
entrepreneur. He owned and operated diverse companies throughout New
England including, manufacturing firms, camera stores, jewelry stores
and a mail order firm..such noted stores as Holmberg & Douglas on
Newbury St. and Crimson Camera in Harvard Square were operated by Mr.
Fowler and his last enterprise was the New England Brass Model Works,
which he operated through his 90th year. Mr. Fowler was an ardent
hobbiest, and accomplished expert in the fields of astronomy,
photography, gemology, ancient Greek & Roman coins, and model
railroading. Father of four children, Fred V. Fowler, Jr. of Wayland,
MA, Carolyn C. Cummings of Winchester, MA, Susan F. Apsey of Grantham,
NH and Richard Fowler of Natick, MA. He is also survived by his sister
Alicia Coakley, 11 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren. A Memorial
Service is being planned for the spring in Grantham, NH. Chadwick
Funeral Service 235 Main St.P.O. Box 68 New London, NH 03257
603-526-6442

Published in the Boston Globe on 12/16/2005.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

We still have some of your grandfather's stuff here...that says a lot! You
might want to consider some type of planned obsolescence so we can all buy
some NEW stuff every once in a while.

"Fred Fowler III" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

Fred Fowler III wrote:
[...]

Condolences . He will rest Happy knowing His "Legacy" is in good hands .
Ken Cutt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:45:28 -0800, the renowned Ken Cutt
wrote:

Condolences . He will rest Happy knowing His "Legacy" is in good hands .
Ken Cutt

Gee- he ran the place until he was 90? I hope his kids were not
waiting for their turn to run things.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

wrote:

Condolences . He will rest Happy knowing His "Legacy" is in good hands .
Ken Cutt

Gee- he ran the place until he was 90? I hope his kids were not
waiting for their turn to run things.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'll bet that Fred knows ALL about family indentured servitude!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Fred Fowler III wrote:

Hi all,

My Grandfather, Fred Fowler Sr., passed this last Tuesday AM. He loved
machining & engineering, even made his own steam locomotives. He had a
damn good run, and will be missed.

Best,

Fred Fowler III

A good long run. Is there a Fred IV ?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Fred Fowler III wrote:

[...]

Condolences!

A good run indeed!

Kinda makes my head spin to think about the change in the world that
happened in that one lifetime. Literally from horse and buggy to the
space age.

Trevor Jones
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Fred Fowler III wrote:
Hi all,

My Grandfather, Fred Fowler Sr., passed this last Tuesday AM. He loved
machining & engineering, even made his own steam locomotives. He had a
damn good run, and will be missed.

My condolences. Wow, there's no doubt that HE left a mark!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:40:48 -0500, Fred Fowler III
wrote:

Hi all,

My Grandfather, Fred Fowler Sr., passed this last Tuesday AM. He loved
machining & engineering, even made his own steam locomotives. He had a
damn good run, and will be missed.

Best,

Fred Fowler III

I enjoyed a phone conversation with him some years ago. I'd bought a
Bison collet chuck from New England Brass which required me to machine
the faceplate on my lathe. After doing that I phoned to ask what
precision might be expected, and reported what I was seeing with my
BestTest DI. I had no idea that I'd actually be speaking to Fred
Fowler when I called.

He said, "it sounds like you have done your work well." I don't
think he'd have said that if he didn't mean it.

Wow! I'm no precision machinist so that was a trip for me. I've
treasured that ever since.