Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Floorjack - rant, update.

This past weekent was NOT a good weekend to work on my floorjack. My
wife and I are on the tail end of a divorce and, though still friendly,
my detached barn/shop are really inconvenient for me.
I stopped by my shop last night to check out some suggestions from the
group:
I closed the release valve and pumped the ram out. It looked
absolutely brand new. No rust or pits at all. Of course, it's been
inside all it's life.
Once the ram was out, I could literally push it back in with my
fingertips. You guys still think it's trash under the valve???? Or
seals????
On the base of the jack, the pump is on the left. Then there is a
countersunk screw with a slot in it. Next is the release valve and then
to the right of the release valve is a screw with a raised phillips
head. The head is about 1/16" thick and flat. Anyone know what these
two screw thingys are?
The release valve has a jack handle "gear" welded on it, so I can't
get a socket on it. The nut is 1 1/8" and the biggest open end wrench I
have is 1". Not enough room for an adjustable wrench. My best tool
friend just moved up to the mountains, so I gotta find somebody to
borrow a bigger wrench from. Also, the cast nut on top of the jack (
to get the ram out) is 2 1/8". Gotta figure out that one too. I do
have a monster pipe wrench I guess I could use. Gunner, you mentioned
you attached one of your jacks to a telephone pole to get it apart? My
barn is a pole barn, so I got a built in telephone pole. May have to go
that route.
I know it will probably turn out cheaper in the long run, time
wise, to just bite the bullet and buy a new one, but damn I'm
determined to fix this one.
Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
[...]

One of them is likely to be an overpressure relief valve which keeps you
from cereating more lifting force than the jack is rated for.

My kid bought a small two ton Chinese made floor jack at Pep Boys for
$20 last week and it has an "extra" screw on the cylinder/pump assembly
covered by a plastic cap with the words "Do Not Adjust" written on it. I
assumed that must be a Pressure relief valve.

There was mention of overforce protection in the jack's instruction booklet.

Jeff

The release valve has a jack handle "gear" welded on it, so I can't
get a socket on it. The nut is 1 1/8" and the biggest open end wrench I
have is 1". Not enough room for an adjustable wrench. My best tool
friend just moved up to the mountains, so I gotta find somebody to
borrow a bigger wrench from. Also, the cast nut on top of the jack (
to get the ram out) is 2 1/8". Gotta figure out that one too. I do
have a monster pipe wrench I guess I could use. Gunner, you mentioned
you attached one of your jacks to a telephone pole to get it apart? My
barn is a pole barn, so I got a built in telephone pole. May have to go
that route.
I know it will probably turn out cheaper in the long run, time
wise, to just bite the bullet and buy a new one, but damn I'm
determined to fix this one.
Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for the suggestion, Jeff, but these two screws were screwed hard
into the base area with no caps of anykind attached to them. Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

If you have a press it will work as a really big vise to hold the jack body
while you screw the nut off with a pipe wrench.
Don Young
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:55:14 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

This past weekent was NOT a good weekend to work on my floorjack. My
wife and I are on the tail end of a divorce and, though still friendly,
my detached barn/shop are really inconvenient for me.
I stopped by my shop last night to check out some suggestions from the
group:
I closed the release valve and pumped the ram out. It looked
absolutely brand new. No rust or pits at all. Of course, it's been
inside all it's life.

This is good - Seals and gaskets are cheap and easy, but if the ram
finish is crudded up, stop right there. Getting the main ram shaft
repaired and rechromed will cost more than the scrap value.

Once the ram was out, I could literally push it back in with my
fingertips. You guys still think it's trash under the valve???? Or
seals????
On the base of the jack, the pump is on the left. Then there is a
countersunk screw with a slot in it. Next is the release valve and then
to the right of the release valve is a screw with a raised phillips
head. The head is about 1/16" thick and flat. Anyone know what these
two screw thingys are?

One of them is likely to be an overpressure relief valve which keeps you
from cereating more lifting force than the jack is rated for.

And if there's a threaded plug with no discernable purpose, the
other one might be a port off the main ram hydraulic line, for a
pressure gauge to adjust the relief valve setting in the field. They
more than likely use a test jig at the factory to set the relief
valve, but it's possible.

[...]

You probably need to get that release valve out, the seal at the
base is most likely the source of all your trouble. I doubt the
relief valve would go bad - if anything it would stick closed.

Though I can see you /very/ easily wrecking the nut with an open end
or Crescent wrench on it - If you can't find an 1-1/8" Flare wrench,
go buy a cheap 1-1/8" combination wrench, cut a slot through the box
end big enough for the release valve shaft, and make your own. And
soak the nut in Kroil or 3-in-1 overnight first.

On second thought, double-check that 1-1/8" - it's probably Metric.
Using an inch wrench might provide just enough slop to really mangle
the flats when you apply wrench pressure.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Excellent ideas, Bruce. Thanks for the reply. Bill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

I'm pretty sure we have just turned the corner into obscurityland. If
aliens came here and read this stuff we might get downgraded from higher
primate to some other life form
Just go buy another f jack
Keep the old one to tinker with. Its a problem with seals and not enough
oil
I saw somebody jack up a wholle house with little bottle jacks and put
the thing on a trailer and move it down a 30 degree hill so they could
build a church up there