DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need to heat a 2 stall garage. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/134343-need-heat-2-stall-garage.html)

Taunt December 7th 05 05:07 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

Taunt wrote:
It's getting a little chilli in the garage and need to buy a heater.

Pros and cons?

Propane?
Kerosene?
Oil filled electric?

TIA, Jack

Thanks to all who have responded,

I have learned alot and have much to consider.

I may have forgotten to say, the garage is used as a hobby machine shop
and some welding.

Thanks again, Jack

"walking is highly over-rated"

* December 7th 05 08:46 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

Rex B wrote in article

So, in order to avoid having the gasoline indoors, you would suggest
working on the car outdoors?????

No, but you can turn off the flame while the fuel system and fuel are
open.

How do you "....turn off the flame....." in a wood stove????

You would either have to work BEFORE firing up the woodstove.....

OR

.....allow the fire to go out, and the embers to die off........

......which results - either way - in working in an unheated shop.

My shop time is divided between race cars and metalworking machines. I'm
pretty careful about when I do what, with regard to the wood-burning
stove I use for heat.

I build oval-track cars AND work with metal in general......in New England
where the word "winter" really means "winter."

There isn't enough money in God's entire kingdom for me to use a wood stove
in my shop.

The best-laid plans can easily be circumvented with an accidental,
I'm-only-opening-the-can-across-on-the-other-side-of-the-shop, spill - the
vapors from which reach the woodstove before you can get your fly open to
"...turn off the flame...."

Even a "rattle can" spraying of a rebuilt component puts a large amount of
flammable vapors into the air - any of which could follow air currents to
the stove/furnace.

Electrical shut-off switches - which allow you to shut ignition sources off
BEFORE knowingly creating flammable vapors - just give you that extra
measure of safety that is impossible to achieve with a wood stove.

Does your local code officer/Fire Chief know you are using oils and
lubricants in the proximity of a wood stove?

Betcha' he'd have a cow if he did....

Hank Zoeller December 8th 05 12:46 AM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

* wrote:

Does your local code officer/Fire Chief know you are using oils and
lubricants in the proximity of a wood stove?

Betcha' he'd have a cow if he did....

I'm putting a pellet stove in my shop which is also a garage. Fire
Chief wants the bottom of the flames in the stove to be at least 18"
above the deck. Just like the kazillion gas flame water heaters that
are put in garages. They build them up on a shelf. Same with gas
furnaces that are in garages. Gotta be 18" above deck.

The Fire Chief here does not own livestock of any kind although his
wif.. Ah, well, nevermind...
--
HZ

Martin H. Eastburn December 8th 05 03:45 AM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

Be aware that pellet stoves are great with the power - when power is lost - (sometimes it is found)
the stove can't get more pellets. If that is of concern - suggest a Battery backed APC ....
I had a friend in Tahoe - they put the stove in the snow and got a new one to replace it.
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Rex B December 8th 05 03:03 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

Hank Zoeller wrote:
* wrote:

Does your local code officer/Fire Chief know you are using oils and
lubricants in the proximity of a wood stove?

Betcha' he'd have a cow if he did....

I'm putting a pellet stove in my shop which is also a garage. Fire
Chief wants the bottom of the flames in the stove to be at least 18"
above the deck. Just like the kazillion gas flame water heaters that
are put in garages. They build them up on a shelf. Same with gas
furnaces that are in garages. Gotta be 18" above deck.

I believe my woodstove is 18" off the floor

AHS December 8th 05 08:54 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

"Taunt" wrote in message
It's getting a little chilli in the garage and need to buy a heater.

Jack,

Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in here. You say OK has short but cold
winters, also think about your summer temps. Others have given you a lot of
pros & con about heating choices. My philosophy is to look at the full
package, or in this case, your climate over the full year.

You say you have interior walls and a ceiling. Are they insulated? If not,
it would not be an outrageous expense to have insulation blown into the
walls and added to the attic, it helps a whole bunch both summer and winter.
Then I would suggest you consider a heater & a/c unit. I bought a small
size Friedrich brand from MSC a few years ago, not cheap, but it has been
great all year long. No moisture produced, no open flame.

Alex

Rex B December 8th 05 09:25 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

AHS wrote:
"Taunt" wrote in message

It's getting a little chilli in the garage and need to buy a heater.

Jack,

Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in here. You say OK has short but cold
winters, also think about your summer temps. Others have given you a lot of
pros & con about heating choices. My philosophy is to look at the full
package, or in this case, your climate over the full year.

You say you have interior walls and a ceiling. Are they insulated? If not,
it would not be an outrageous expense to have insulation blown into the
walls and added to the attic, it helps a whole bunch both summer and winter.
Then I would suggest you consider a heater & a/c unit. I bought a small
size Friedrich brand from MSC a few years ago, not cheap, but it has been
great all year long. No moisture produced, no open flame.

Good suggestion.
Not sure if you are suggestion a small central A/C and heting unit, but
there are window A/C units with heat.

Name December 8th 05 09:36 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

"Rex B" wrote in message

AHS wrote:
"Taunt" wrote in message

[...]

I saw one at Lowe's last night that was 17,500 BTU A/C and 15,000 BTU's
heat. It was $588. They sound like a great idea to me.

Taunt December 8th 05 10:06 PM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

AHS wrote:
"Taunt" wrote in message

It's getting a little chilli in the garage and need to buy a heater.

Jack,

Just thought I would toss my 2 cents in here. You say OK has short but cold
winters, also think about your summer temps. Others have given you a lot of
pros & con about heating choices. My philosophy is to look at the full
package, or in this case, your climate over the full year.

You say you have interior walls and a ceiling. Are they insulated? If not,
it would not be an outrageous expense to have insulation blown into the
walls and added to the attic, it helps a whole bunch both summer and winter.
Then I would suggest you consider a heater & a/c unit. I bought a small
size Friedrich brand from MSC a few years ago, not cheap, but it has been
great all year long. No moisture produced, no open flame.

Alex

Alex,

Great idea, I'm sure I'll want a cool place to work come summer.

Jack

AHS December 9th 05 03:22 AM

Need to heat a 2 stall garage.

"Rex B" wrote in message

AHS wrote:
"Taunt" wrote in message

[...]

Ok, since you like my approach, here are some more details on my unit. It
is a 220v window unit with a.cabinet size of 15-15/16 x 25-15/16 x 27-3/8.
The heater is 12,500 btu, has a efficiency rating of 11.0 eer. Their
literature says that the range of all similar models ranges from 9.0 to
12.0. It cost me around $700 from MSC, plus just under $100 for shipping.
You can find cheaper units I suppose, I wanted an industrial quality unit.
Ok, I punched a hole in my block & brick wall for it, also put r19 in the
walls and r15 on the ceiling (a 22' x 22' shop under my garage). For the
first year I used it, I kept it on the lowest setting for heating and
cooling. (I'm in VA, coldest winter temps - some teens to 20's+, summer runs
into the 90's easily with sticky humidity.)

In the spring I will move it to my garage as I'm not getting my $$$ out of
it because it runs so little (read: value of insulation). But first I have
to build interior, insulated walls in my garage! Bright ideas never end! O
yea, my hole-in-the-wall? It is now a window 5'+ off the floor, and I love
the light!

Alex