DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT Browser (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/134295-ot-browser.html)

Richard December 5th 05 02:34 PM

OT Browser

Couple of days ago I installed Firefox V-1.5 and Thunderbird for
email. I've never been comfortable with IE or OE, both of which are
magnets for virii of all kinds.

One click copies the necessary from IE and OE, no glitches, less than
ten minutes to install both and have them run the first time.

I sometimes find that links don't work, but also know that enabling
javascript would probably clear this up. Adaware not finding anything
after several days of browsing also gives a bit of confidence, haen't
been hijacked yet either. Some sites will have to allow popups,
changing one to allow doesn't change all of them.

Otherwise a great improvement over IE, you can actually find tools
where you would think they'd be instead of having to search 150
functions that you never use.

And it's freeware. I like free.

Rich

Larry Fishel December 5th 05 04:45 PM

OT Browser

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

F. George McDuffee December 5th 05 05:36 PM

OT Browser

On 5 Dec 2005 08:45:47 -0800, "Larry Fishel"
wrote:

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

=============
Or the site is trying to load some kind of spyware on your
computer. I have started seeing more and more of the sites where
if you block the spyware the site won't load.

If you aren't running one I suggest a good
firewall/anti-virus./anti-spyware program like zone labs zone
alarm or Iolo system mechanic
see
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...try=US&lang=en
or
iolo
see http://www.iolo.com/
Walmart has the complete iolo system mechanic 6 package on sale.

Both zone labs and iolo provide updated definition files as the
threats change.

A word of caution -- you can't run two firewalls, virus checkers,
spyware/popup blockers *AT THE SAME TIME* If you try this you
will generally lock your computer. Boot under the "safe mode"
and remove one [change the .exe files to .xxx] to get the system
operational].

First time you do a system scan with either one, you will be
amazed on how much "junk" has been placed on your computer.

Uncle George

Dave Hinz December 5th 05 06:07 PM

OT Browser

wrote:

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

Or the site is trying to load some kind of spyware on your
computer. I have started seeing more and more of the sites where
if you block the spyware the site won't load.

Simplest explaination has already been given - he's got javascript
turned off.

If you aren't running one I suggest a good
firewall/anti-virus./anti-spyware program like zone labs zone

I prefer the antivirus called "MacOSX", but in the Windows world, AVG
antivirus isn't a bad one. http://www.grisoft.com/

First time you do a system scan with either one, you will be
amazed on how much "junk" has been placed on your computer.

Yup.

Rex B December 5th 05 07:53 PM

OT Browser

I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird for almost a year.
I love both, ended most of my system crashes. Only a few sites will not
accept Firefox, unfortunately they are work related and I have to revert
to IE to access them.
I do like having better control. Especially like the tabs in Firefox.
and the Google (and others) search window in the upper right..

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Tove Momerathsson December 5th 05 07:58 PM

OT Browser

Larry Fishel wrote:

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

Then there's MSC and Enco's sites, where whatever they use to tell whether
Javascript is enabled doesn't like what Mozilla is answering. So I keep
IE around mostly for them.

Tove

Gunner Asch December 5th 05 08:37 PM

OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:34:31 -0600, Richard
wrote:

Couple of days ago I installed Firefox V-1.5 and Thunderbird for
email. I've never been comfortable with IE or OE, both of which are
magnets for virii of all kinds.

One click copies the necessary from IE and OE, no glitches, less than
ten minutes to install both and have them run the first time.

I sometimes find that links don't work, but also know that enabling
javascript would probably clear this up. Adaware not finding anything
after several days of browsing also gives a bit of confidence, haen't
been hijacked yet either. Some sites will have to allow popups,
changing one to allow doesn't change all of them.

Otherwise a great improvement over IE, you can actually find tools
where you would think they'd be instead of having to search 150
functions that you never use.

And it's freeware. I like free.

Rich

Better still..is Free Agent for newsgroups, and Eudora for email,
followed by the very free Pegasus Mail.

http://www.pmail.com/

Keep your Firefox updates current. And yes.its better than Outleak
Exploder.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner Asch December 5th 05 08:39 PM

OT Browser

wrote:

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

Or the site is trying to load some kind of spyware on your
computer. I have started seeing more and more of the sites where
if you block the spyware the site won't load.

Simplest explaination has already been given - he's got javascript
turned off.

If you aren't running one I suggest a good
firewall/anti-virus./anti-spyware program like zone labs zone

I prefer the antivirus called "MacOSX", but in the Windows world, AVG
antivirus isn't a bad one. http://www.grisoft.com/

First time you do a system scan with either one, you will be
amazed on how much "junk" has been placed on your computer.

Yup.

For spyware..its hard to beat AdAware and Spybot S&D

Trend Micros PC-Cillian is a great av program.

Dave Hinz December 5th 05 09:15 PM

OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 20:39:15 GMT, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 5 Dec 2005 18:07:38 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I prefer the antivirus called "MacOSX", but in the Windows world, AVG
antivirus isn't a bad one. http://www.grisoft.com/

For spyware..its hard to beat AdAware and Spybot S&D

Yes. The former is easier to use. When I'm cleaning systems for
people, I use both, and a few extras.

Richard December 5th 05 10:13 PM

OT Browser

On 5 Dec 2005 21:15:11 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

For spyware..its hard to beat AdAware and Spybot S&D

Yes. The former is easier to use. When I'm cleaning systems for
people, I use both, and a few extras.

Had both of thiem installed for years now. Spybot generally stops
most things, AdAware cleans out the tracking cookied quite nicely,
plus the little MRU things that windoze puts in your machine. I have
SPF downloaded, just haven't installed yet. The firewall in XP seems
to block some things, but I have my doubts that files such as Media
Player tries to send back to "big daddy" are being blocked.

Linux would be the ideal answer, but the last time I tried to set up
internet access, I botched it completely, that's for when I have a
separate box I can use for Linux again. When it's up and running,
move this one, better yet, put Linux in this one and trash XP. I have
another box with win(lose)2k that I reserve for those backward
developers that only scribble for windoze.

Rich

Dave Hinz December 5th 05 10:15 PM

OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:13:02 -0600, Richard wrote:
On 5 Dec 2005 21:15:11 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yes. The former is easier to use. When I'm cleaning systems for
people, I use both, and a few extras.

Had both of thiem installed for years now. Spybot generally stops
most things, AdAware cleans out the tracking cookied quite nicely,
plus the little MRU things that windoze puts in your machine.

Yup.

Linux would be the ideal answer, but the last time I tried to set up
internet access, I botched it completely, that's for when I have a
separate box I can use for Linux again. When it's up and running,
move this one, better yet, put Linux in this one and trash XP. I have
another box with win(lose)2k that I reserve for those backward
developers that only scribble for windoze.

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

Rex B December 5th 05 10:48 PM

OT Browser

Dave Hinz wrote:
Linux would be the ideal answer, but the last time I tried to set up
internet access, I botched it completely, that's for when I have a
separate box I can use for Linux again. When it's up and running,
move this one, better yet, put Linux in this one and trash XP. I have
another box with win(lose)2k that I reserve for those backward
developers that only scribble for windoze.

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

That's pretty cool.
Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?

Rex B

Dave Hinz December 5th 05 10:56 PM

OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:48:38 -0600, Rex B wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

That's pretty cool.
Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?

I suppose you can probably buy it, but we're talking linux, after all.
Download it for free here, and burn it to your own CD:

Direct download:
http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/relea.../live-i386.iso

John R. Carroll December 5th 05 11:08 PM

OT Browser

wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great
one. Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a
linux system running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS,
without doing a thing to your Windows installation. Take out the
CD, reboot again, and you're back to your untouched Windows
installation.

That's pretty cool.
Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?

I suppose you can probably buy it, but we're talking linux, after all.
Download it for free here, and burn it to your own CD:

Direct download:
http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/relea.../live-i386.iso

http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/releases/warty/release/

Pick your poison from here.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Gunner Asch December 5th 05 11:09 PM

OT Browser

On 5 Dec 2005 22:15:36 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

[...]

www.knoppix.org

Its quite good.

www.mepis.org is very good. Ive got an early distro installed on a
spare box and am using it as a server. Ive modified the box serveral
times, and am having an issue with the browsers understanding Im
actually on line.

The modem will dial, log in and just sit there. When I installed a
proxy server on my personal machine..and set up the proxy values..it
goes on line very well. Just not via the modem (s)

Ill do a full reinstall maybe tonight or next weekend and see if there
is an improvement.

Ubunto is supposed to be very very good..but you have to install it on
a seperate machine..as it installes itself completly..including
formating your drives, as I understand it. I may be wrong with the
latest distro.

John R. Carroll December 5th 05 11:10 PM

OT Browser

wrote:
[...]

This is a working link to the "live" distribution. Cut it to a CD and run it
from there.

Abrasha December 5th 05 11:21 PM

OT Browser

Gunner Asch wrote:

For spyware..its hard to beat AdAware and Spybot S&D

Ditto!

Although with Firefox you may not need them as much as with IE. With IE
as your only browser they are absolute must have programs.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha December 5th 05 11:24 PM

OT Browser

Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

That's pretty cool.
Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?

I suppose you can probably buy it, but we're talking linux, after all.
Download it for free here, and burn it to your own CD:

Direct download:
http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/relea.../live-i386.iso

Not Found

The requested URL /releases/warty/preview/live-i386.iso was not found on
this server.
Apache/2.1.3 (Ubuntu) Server at cdimage.ubuntu.com Port 80

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Wayne Cook December 5th 05 11:40 PM

OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:58:12 -0500, Tove Momerathsson
wrote:

Larry Fishel wrote:

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

Then there's MSC and Enco's sites, where whatever they use to tell whether
Javascript is enabled doesn't like what Mozilla is answering. So I keep
IE around mostly for them.

When was the last time you updated Mozilla. I'm currently using
Mozilla Firefox and have no trouble with MSC's web site. I did have
some trouble with my older version of Mozilla.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Gunner Asch December 5th 05 11:48 PM

OT Browser

Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

That's pretty cool.
Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?

I suppose you can probably buy it, but we're talking linux, after all.
Download it for free here, and burn it to your own CD:

Direct download:
http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/relea.../live-i386.iso

Ya better have broad band though...most of em are around 700 megs.
Thats why I keep blank cds at my buddies machine shop..he has a T1

Larry Jaques December 6th 05 12:35 AM

OT Browser

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:58:12 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Tove
Momerathsson quickly quoth:

Larry Fishel wrote:

It may not be too uncommon to find pages that worked under IE but don't
work under firefox. That's often because the page has a bug (some times
intentional) that happened to work because of a bug in IE...

Then there's MSC and Enco's sites, where whatever they use to tell whether
Javascript is enabled doesn't like what Mozilla is answering. So I keep
IE around mostly for them.

I have had no problems with either site using Mozilla 1.0 through
1.0.7, Tove.

Weather.com has been hosed for months, though, giving me "too many
redirect" errors in all browsers since around September. I'm going
through Yahoo now.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Richard December 6th 05 12:53 AM

OT Browser

On 5 Dec 2005 22:15:36 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On 5 Dec 2005 21:15:11 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

I've got SuSe 9.0, and could set up a dual boot, but don't really see
any sense in clobbering half a hard drive with Linux and the other
half with windoze. For about a year I had one Linux box and a windoze
box, found out where windoze pukes, Linux doesn't have any problems.
(500 frame POVray animation, three versions of microsoft couldn't
complete it, Linux ran it without a hitch.)

Most of my programs are ported for windoze, Mac, and Linux, there are
only a few that I use that aren't. Serif Software Movie Plus is one
that isn't, and it's a damn nice program. I haven't looked at
everything that's available for Linux yet, there might be something
similar that would work just as well. Open Office does just as well
for me as the MS, (multiple sclerotic) would, POVray runs under
either, the Gimp has pretty good editing features. Best thing about
Linux progs are that bugs tend to be fixed quickly when reported.

For now, though, I'm just tickled that Firefox and Thunderbird went in
as easily as they did and without any problems. It's great having
some control back without trying to find where they hid it.

Rich.

williamhenry December 6th 05 01:33 AM

OT Browser

I use OE for my newsreader does thunderbird automatically set this up as
well?

Anthony December 6th 05 03:07 AM

OT Browser

Richard wrote in
:

Linux would be the ideal answer, but the last time I tried to set up
internet access, I botched it completely, that's for when I have a
separate box I can use for Linux again. When it's up and running,
move this one, better yet, put Linux in this one and trash XP. I have
another box with win(lose)2k that I reserve for those backward
developers that only scribble for windoze.

I've been running Fedora on 3 boxes here for quite some time, and RH9
before that on the server. Never had a problem with internet access.

The main thing to remember, is that very unlike windoz, which has every
damn thing enabled by default, *nix, in the majority of distributions,
has very little to nothing enabled by default. If you want it enabled,
you have to enable it, including what specific ports you want open.
A bit more of a PITA, yes...but inheritly very, very secure.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

Jon Danniken December 6th 05 03:57 AM

OT Browser

"Richard" wrote:
I've never been comfortable with IE or OE, both of which are
magnets for virii of all kinds.

Funny, I've been using IE and OE for five years now (used Netscape from '96
to '00), and I haven't had *one* virus. That's not much of a "magnet for
virii of all kinds", now is it?

Jon

Richard December 6th 05 05:08 AM

OT Browser

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:33:11 -0600, "williamhenry"
wrote:

I use OE for my newsreader does thunderbird automatically set this up as
well?

Yes.

Rich

Richard December 6th 05 05:14 AM

OT Browser

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:57:06 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote:
I've never been comfortable with IE or OE, both of which are
magnets for virii of all kinds.

Funny, I've been using IE and OE for five years now (used Netscape from '96
to '00), and I haven't had *one* virus. That's not much of a "magnet for
virii of all kinds", now is it?

Jon

When Nortons tells me some 30 times in a row that it's just blocked a
worm, I'm glad it was there. Biggest problem, or maybe benefit is
that most virus are targeted to windoze through their super hiway
programs and they don't affect Linux, and don't have the serurity
holes if you're using anything else. If Microscrappers would get
their act together and write some code that wasn't so full of gateways
they might be able to do something, but I doubt it.

Rich

Gunner Asch December 6th 05 08:13 AM

OT Browser

Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

That's pretty cool.
Is that something you buy at a retail software counter, or online?

I suppose you can probably buy it, but we're talking linux, after all.
Download it for free here, and burn it to your own CD:

Direct download:
http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/relea.../live-i386.iso

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

50 megs, runs pretty well on most everything.

Jon Danniken December 6th 05 10:45 AM

OT Browser

"Richard" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"Richard" wrote:
I've never been comfortable with IE or OE, both of which are
magnets for virii of all kinds.

Funny, I've been using IE and OE for five years now (used Netscape from

'96
to '00), and I haven't had *one* virus. That's not much of a "magnet for
virii of all kinds", now is it?

When Nortons tells me some 30 times in a row that it's just blocked a
worm, I'm glad it was there. Biggest problem, or maybe benefit is
that most virus are targeted to windoze through their super hiway
programs and they don't affect Linux, and don't have the serurity
holes if you're using anything else. If Microscrappers would get
their act together and write some code that wasn't so full of gateways
they might be able to do something, but I doubt it.

snicker Norton? That is one of the most bloated pieces of trash software
out there, and rather innefective at stopping real viruses. Even the free
AVG scanner blows it out of the water.

According to your "data", because I don't use Norton and use IE and OE I
should be flooded with worms and virii, but as is the case, I am not, nor
have I *ever* had a virus or worm infect any of my various boxes over the
last five years with IE and OE. How do you explain that, Richard?

Jon

Jon Danniken December 6th 05 10:50 AM

OT Browser

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
Weather.com has been hosed for months, though, giving me "too many
redirect" errors in all browsers since around September. I'm going
through Yahoo now.

Try going here. Enter your zip code, and bookmark the resulting page:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

Jon

everyman December 6th 05 11:03 AM

OT Browser

They'll mail you cd's for free. One cd for install and one cd to run off
the cd.
I just got the latest version haven't tried it yet. Just got a processor to
get the desktop back up and running.
Karl

Gary Wooding December 6th 05 11:48 AM

OT Browser

Jon Danniken wrote:
"Richard" wrote:

...snip...
According to your "data", because I don't use Norton and use IE and OE I
should be flooded with worms and virii, but as is the case, I am not, nor
have I *ever* had a virus or worm infect any of my various boxes over the
last five years with IE and OE. How do you explain that, Richard?

Jon

Then you are just lucky. Two days ago I was asked to help out a friend
whose computer was misbehaving. It turned out to be a particularly nasty
bit of malware which, because it had destroyed part of the OS (W2K
Prof), I reckoned was best eradicated by a fresh install of W2K. I saved
his user data onto a FAT32 partition, reformatted the C: drive as NTFS,
reinstalled W2K and restored the user data. I installed AVG and
downloaded ZoneAlarm, then ran the AVG scan and it found two Trojan
horses - one was wudpcom.exe. So, even though we hadn't opened any
attachments, a few hours after a totally clean install his system was
infected by two worms - but AVG got rid of them.
As I say, you're just lucky.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding

Larry Jaques December 6th 05 01:20 PM

OT Browser

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 02:45:25 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon
Danniken" quickly quoth:

"Richard" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

"Richard" wrote:
[...]

Verily. I had a problem with NAV a few months ago and lost a couple
full days (2-4 hours at a time over a nearly 2 week period) to
troubleshooting the damned thing WITH SlymeAntic's help. Grrrrr. I
won't be renewing. You like AVG, eh? I'll switch to them in Feb when
the NAV expires. I'm very glad I don't have many faxes as WinFaxPro
is now a SlymeAntic program which has little real support. sigh

Peter Norton is and was a DOS God. When he moved to supporting the
Windows platform, he lost considerable credibility with me. An when he
sold out and allowed his name to be put on SlymeAntic products, he
lost all further credibility with me whatsoever. RIP, Pete.

According to your "data", because I don't use Norton and use IE and OE I
should be flooded with worms and virii, but as is the case, I am not, nor
have I *ever* had a virus or worm infect any of my various boxes over the
last five years with IE and OE. How do you explain that, Richard?

Hasn't AVG been catching all of them for you?

Larry Jaques December 6th 05 01:49 PM

OT Browser

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 02:50:51 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon
Danniken" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
Weather.com has been hosed for months, though, giving me "too many
redirect" errors in all browsers since around September. I'm going
through Yahoo now.

Try going here. Enter your zip code, and bookmark the resulting page:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

Thanks, Jon.
http://www.wunderground.com isn't bad, either. I'm surprised at how
good Yahoo Weather is, with the feeds and maps from Weather.com.
I'll probably stick with it.

Rex B December 6th 05 02:49 PM

OT Browser

Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

Is this something you could use to clean up a system that has had the OS
screwed up so it won't boot, or boots with too much baggage? IOW can
you delete and edit Win files after booting to Linux?

Rex

Richard December 6th 05 04:00 PM

OT Browser

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 02:45:25 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

snicker Norton? That is one of the most bloated pieces of trash software
out there, and rather innefective at stopping real viruses. Even the free
AVG scanner blows it out of the water.

According to your "data", because I don't use Norton and use IE and OE I
should be flooded with worms and virii, but as is the case, I am not, nor
have I *ever* had a virus or worm infect any of my various boxes over the
last five years with IE and OE. How do you explain that, Richard?

Jon

Some (most?) ISP's have virus blocking, which might explain your good
luck. I've had virus attacks a couple of times, not nice, but the
worst they caused me was to reformat the HD and start over.

I'm not holding Nortons up as the paragon of virus protection, but
adding a little minor bloat to the major bloat of windoze or any other
MS programs is hardly noticed.

Also, if you're running W98 or 95, you won't have much problem with
virus, most are targetted for later "versions" of windoze. If you've
"upgraded" to 2K or XP, you now have the problem of windoze not
allowing to reinstall your earlier version. (Just put in a version of
Linux, tell it to take the whole HD and windoze goes bye-bye.)

Agent for newsgroups, Thunderbird for Email, Firefox browser, life can
still be good.

Rich

Dave Hinz December 6th 05 04:16 PM

OT Browser

"Richard" wrote:
I've never been comfortable with IE or OE, both of which are
magnets for virii of all kinds.

Funny, I've been using IE and OE for five years now (used Netscape from '96
to '00), and I haven't had *one* virus. That's not much of a "magnet for
virii of all kinds", now is it?

When's the last time you did a spyware scan, Jon?

Dave Hinz December 6th 05 04:19 PM

OT Browser

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:49:41 -0600, Rex B wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD.

Is this something you could use to clean up a system that has had the OS
screwed up so it won't boot, or boots with too much baggage? IOW can
you delete and edit Win files after booting to Linux?

Yes, absolutely. I've used Linux LiveCD's to un-trash quite a few
windows systems. Not something I could proceduralize, but yes, you can
mount the file system and change what needs to be changed, if you know
what that is. Usually I just copy the important folders (my documents)
to somewhere else on the network and do a reinstall, but depends on the
client (and how much time they want to spend for).

Richard December 6th 05 04:33 PM

OT Browser

wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

Try one of the "Live CD" linux distributions. Ubuntu has a great one.
Stick the CD in your drive, reboot the system, you're in a linux system
running off the CD. You can see the state of the OS, without doing a
thing to your Windows installation. Take out the CD, reboot again, and
you're back to your untouched Windows installation.

Is this something you could use to clean up a system that has had the OS
screwed up so it won't boot, or boots with too much baggage? IOW can
you delete and edit Win files after booting to Linux?

Rex

for too much "baggage" try StartRun. type "msconfig". Doesn't work
with all windoze, but for XP you get a window that lets you turn off
the excess.

refusing to boot, good luck. The restore disk will take care of that,
but you're back to square one, praying that you've got backup on
everything.

Linux can catalog and move files around in the windoze part, but I
have no idea what result you'll get.

Rich