Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.

Default Report on $135 HF band saw...

I picked up the $135 ($169 sale - 20% coupon) 4 x 6 band saw Tuesday
evening. I picked up a better Olson 18t wavy style blade ($15) at my
local Tractor Supply the next day.

The first thing that I noticed after assembling the saw on it's flimsy
but adequate stand was that the guide bearings had grease lines around
them so it looks like the folks in Taiwan actually test ran the saw. The
next thing I noticed when changing blades and then looking further is
that nearly all of the bearings on the saw are made in Japan which is a
bit surprising on a made in Taiwan saw.

At any rate I've now cut 1" square steel tube, 3/4" dia steel bar, 1/2"
dia steel bar, 2" steel rigid conduit, 3/16" AL plate and 1/8" steel
plate with it in both H and V modes and I've concluded that it's much
better than sliced bread. Definitely something your shop can not live
without (unless you have a bigger / better one) for the $135, or even
the regular $209.

Pete C.